PlayStation Vita Failing

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by CharZarz, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharZarz

CharZarz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    Yep my title is right the Playstation Vita is failing! For 2013 the Vitas sales where around 370,000 sold! The 3ds got... Well lets just say alot more then the PsVita. Sony needs to do something! They need to take a break from the Ps4 and help the PsVita! 1st I would do is make more 1st party games! Like Jake and Daxter or Crash Bandicoot, I mean I think that the Vita is missing some 1st party games! I mean Sony Sony you can't exspect to make a console and not make games for it! I don't really know what else to say but yet pray! Pray Vita fans :)
    http://thevitalounge.net/mobile-market-more-complicated-than-sony-predicted/

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. Murphy

Murphy Founder Staff Member

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    The Vita is about to have it's second birthday, it's unreasonable to expect all of Sony's franchises to have been released on the platform at this point of its life! Console cycles are marathons, and not sprints but it is clear than not everything is running to plan.

There is no denying that the platform is struggling somewhat, but people really need to forget about how many it is selling vs the 3DS and value the platform on its own merit. Sony need to focus more on marketing and attracting titles that will make that platform more attractive to those without one; but there are some stand out first party games on the system that everyone should own, yet these are struggling too.

The tie ups with the PS4 and PlayStation Now will be great additions to the Vita arsenal, but they should not be the sole focus for the platform. The PS4 release has seen a spike in sales, hopefully this year will see a stronger direction.

akhi216, APA, xtemma and 1 other person like this.
  3. hunterslasher13

hunterslasher13 Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    hunterslasher27
    Yes I agree but also want to add the time the PSP was released versus when the vita was released are two different markets. The smartphone market has been a rising market for a long time, it's not a market that Sony should emulate for vita alone(there mobile division is a different story). Indies are nice for the platform and 1st party exclusives are also good but this platform needs more support even I can see that. If Sony wants to turn the vita from niche success to a success they can be proud of something needs to be done.

4. CharZarz

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    I would like say that Sony failed the Vita at the beginning by making the 3g Model 300$ lol.

5. plpalo

plpalo Active Member

PSN ID:
    plpalo
    The problem I see, is that PSNow and Remote Play as well as cross-buy means that there are fewer Vita-exclusive games. This changes this very nice standalone console system into an accessory, which I don't think is the direction Sony wants it to go. I don't mind that much because I travel often and I play those cross-buy games, as well as older games, such as Jak and Daxter, on the Vita, because I don't have the time to do it at home. For more stationary gamers, though, this could be a problem.

Pata likes this.
  6. lightfellow

lightfellow Member

I don't know, I have both a 3DS and a PS vita and the Vita is by far my favorite. I think we should care less about sales and enjoy the system. I'm happy with the vita, It has a lot of good games and more are coming. Still I admit that I would like to see more suppor from Sony, not with indies and remote play, with AAA games.

LowZ98 and APA like this.
  7. Papertale

Papertale Member

These posts annoy me so so much. Comparing x with y in terms of sales , not having enough games etc
    If you think it will/has failed sell the damn thing and never come back again. Even if the sales keep on decreasing doesn't matter as long as there are new games and content.
    It's about the enjoyment and as long as it makes me happy i don't see it as a failure.

8. CharZarz

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    Lol I wasn't try to compare the PsVita to the 3ds! I just posted it so people can see the sales for the PsVita not to make a big war of 3ds vs PsVita lol.

9. Papertale

Papertale Member

The irony xD
    My bad i didn't see the video you posted. Your title is somewhat misleading :p

10. CharZarz

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    oh ok lol.

11. xtemma

xtemma Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    NA: XtemmA2 / Asian: XtemmA
    Well, Vita doesnt fail personally. Vita dont need to beat 3ds sales to make you happy. Just like every other systems, they only need to deliver you the game of your choice. Vita just cant beat Mario. Peopel loves Mario. Just like Deadpool cant beat Wolverine in term of popularity.

"I'm the best at what i do!" -Wolverine

"Now, i'm better at whatever Wolverine do best!" -Deadpool

12. xtemma

xtemma Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    NA: XtemmA2 / Asian: XtemmA
    okay, just one more...

...just.

13. Yuuki

Yuuki Loves Anime

As long as a System has games that i like i will buy it despite it sales.
    Heck, i am really thinking about getting a WIIU cause of Monoliths X, but one game alone isnt reason enough for me the buy a console.

14. CharZarz

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    People sales matter!!! If the sales are bad in a device they won't make games for it!

15. Yuuki

Yuuki Loves Anime

Not really, only west devs think that way and let us be honest most of those games arent that needed.
    The ones that are still relevant can be counted on one hand.

Aside from Indies that is.

16. Pata

Pata Well-Known Member

Another day, another "Vita hasn't/doesn't" excuse. What the Vita needs is more retail games and more retail space, aside from that, Vita is selling fairly well (due to the PS4 boost) and does have games coming to it (around 15 games already announced for 2014 plus the unannounced ones). If Vita has more retail games coming (and has more space at stores), it's possible that even more people will buy it, therefore up'ing the chances that the digital games sell even better.

But Sony needs to push the promotion and their own developments a little further if they want to achieve that. And by development, I mean new games, not Remote Plays and Playstation Nows, which are temporary solutions.

plpalo likes this.
  17. APA

APA Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    APA_ZAROZO
    PS Vita, the perfect handheld system for me, has 2 main problems avoiding its complete success, IMO:

1- Sony isn't supporting it in the West. By this, I mean, both with games, and marketing/advertising. Many people don't know the awesome device.
    2- The memory card price. That scares customers away! I mean, I just got my 16GB memory card thanks to the Cyber Monday special, on Amazon (it was US$20). Something should be done about it.

There are a lot of other factors, but this are the biggest, to my eyes. When you read that Naughty Dog isn't developing fot the Vita, is sad... :(

18. LowZ98

LowZ98 New Member

I wondered how long it would take before we had a 'vita is failing' thread.......

There is always one person who has to tell us like we don't already know. It's pretty obvious the vita isn't doing as well as expected but we all enjoy the system and I don't have time to argue about sales. Does the vita gain anything from this thread? No. Do we gain anything from this thread? No.

Don't take this the wrong way, I don't want to sound rude I just don't think we need to start arguing over sales and such. We all enjoy the vita and it's games don't we? So let's do just that! :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    hunterslasher13 and xtemma like this.
  19. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

I would watch that video, but 23 minutes? Unless there's some smoking hot women in there somewhere, I don't see the justification of listening to a nobody droning on for 23 minutes with nothing but an almost static screen throughout.

Also, a year on review by an average Joe on the internet is a little moot considering it all goes down to personal preference. The 3DS targets one demographic, the Vita another. For the majority of the year, I've been fine with the Vita's outings. I've had enough games between the PSone, PSP, Vita listings, and everything in between, to keep me more than busy.

Going onto the point raised about the Vita 'failing', I think this also comes down what context you're referring to. Is it failing to meet your personal needs? Failing in a commercial sense? Failing in the number of titles, or quality?

Personally, I see the Vita as a long term investment. I plan on getting anything up to a decade's worth of gaming out of this machine. Expecting everything in the first 1-2 years doesn't make all that much sense to me. The 3DS has already released all of its big names in the past 2-3 years (with the absense of a Smash Bros game I guess), meaning nothing more to look forward to other than more sequels, or on the blind hope Ninty or 3rd parties pull an original idea out of the hat. I wouldn't hold my breathe.

The Vita, on the other hand, is a system where I'm not sure where things will go next, and there's something about that which excites me. There's a shmup called 'Project Root', a horror game called 'Forgotten Memories', 'Broken Sword 5: Part 2', and some obscure PSone titles coming out from Monkey Paw games to keep me occupied for the next 2-3 months (not including the 10 or so games I've gotten from the recent January sales). I can't imagine what titles I'll be sinking my teeth into in 6 months time from now.

So, for me, the Vita is succeeding my expectations. I'm getting hours of fun from this little system every day. And with PS Now, the new features using the PS4, and likely a good 6+ years of more Vita releases to look forward, I remain optimistic for the future.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    jpelgrom, hunterslasher13 and Kyle like this.
  20. lightfellow

lightfellow Member

Also I had a PSP and everyone said the same, that it had low sales, it didn't had games and blah blah blah. I own the system and I know that wahs not true, It has amazing games and I really didnt care about the sales. With the vita is the same, and the life of the console just started, you can't expect everything...

21. CharZarz

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    Im talking sales wise! and if there sales aren't good then no one wants to make games for it!

Ok I thought the psp sails where good...

They went down on the PsVita card price! And it is sad they arnt doing anything for the west! I would really love to play sonic on my PsVita! :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014
  22. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Yeah, in terms of sales, even Sony has admit it's not doing well as expected. Three things I'll add:

1.) This is a marathon, not a sprint. Like I've mentioned earlier, we've barely come to 2 years of a console which ought to have another 6+ years left in it. If you've been paying attention to the news on this site, you'll have realised the number of games coming the Vita, from 3rd party Japanese developers anyway, is on the increase. The PS4's release will likely see 3rd party developers sit up and take notice. It will be intriguing to see how much / whether Vita sales will increase dramatically once the PS4 hits Japan. And then there's Playstation Now.
    But, as I've already said, I'm not that fussed about the console doing badly. I've got plenty of games to look forward to, and I'm a pretty hard person to please (as anyone on this forum, or PSIndependent will tell you). There are enough games to justify anyone buying, and keeping, a Vita. Just enjoy the games you've got, buy more games for the system you're interested in, preferably new or via digital download, so developers and publishers receive more money for their investment in the Vita, and keep a close eye on this site for news of games in the future. That's all you can do.

2.) Honestly, if the console were doing any better, there's no telling that the increased number of games for the system would be nothing but junk -- like the majority of the original DS' catalog, or like most of the mobile phone market. The Vita may have less games, but at least the vast majority are solid enough to be worth playing (retail games at least). If the success of a machine really meant an increase in quality games, Apple's Iphone ought to have better games than anything from Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, or PC. I'm sure a lot of people would disagree.

3.) You've made a point that the console is selling badly, which isn't exactly a secret. This topic has been discussed on forums across the lands since the moment the Vita first hit the shelves, and just about every angle of the subject has been covered. What exactly are you wanting us to discuss here? Are you wanting us to just agree? Are you wanting us to master plan a solution and send it to Sony? Are you hoping someone at Sony will read this thread and increase resources? Or are you just raging? Do you need a cigarette? Are you wanting us to hire you a harem of exotic dancers by the name of 'Chantelle'?

*Terramax falls into a state of catatonia*

23. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

I don't think it's 'failing.' It's not an enormous success, but there are enough owners of the system for developers to make quality games for it, and more and more people are buying them every week - albeit at a relatively slow pace.

24. CharZarz

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    XD First all im trying to do is not to make you agree, but prove my point! Not only that but Mobile market is getting even better every year! for example the Tegra 1K! I love the PsVita for its graphics! and also its games! But taking out the graphics part I wouldn't buy it!

25. Kurisutina

Kurisutina Ultimate Vita Enthusiast

PSN ID:
    Shiroyami
    What's this, critical discussion on Vita and no sign of Takao anywhere? Alright well then I'll just go ahead and write an essay.

Sony's already came clean admitting Vita wasn't built with the present in mind, rather it was 2008 thinking (and heck I remember wanting something like the Vita even in 2011 so I can't blame them too much). Sales are low and we could talk about 3DS this and Mobile that all day but let's just get to the real root of the issue:

Vita is not compelling.

Yeah, that's right; I said it. The vast majority of what we could call sony's "fans" like their Sony Consoles. This is because Sony's fan base skews heavily in favour of the West. Can't blame them, with Naughty Gods and Santa Monica, Media Molecule and Guerilla. Who's a fan of SCEJ again? What about Japan Studios? Now let's put that into context. The fans of Sony, like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, etc. Developers whom create compelling software...for the main console. Is a trend evident here? Yes, I think so.

Problem number 2? Vita is not a priority.

Yeah, let that sink in.

Vita at least makes Sony money. Healthy niche money at that, there is no PS3 panic for Sony here. Therefore, Sony will not focus on Vita that much, no matter how vocal the fan base is. Now, if Vita sales fall off the cliff entirely, then we might see a more pressing call to arms but for a niche, I have to say, Vita's base does something really well but it will lead to the next Vita problem in just a moment.

Vita owners actually buy software! I can hear the Halleluah from the choir, you guys, myself included, buy games on Vita. The attach rate is ridiculous and you're hungry, I'm hungry, we're all hungry. And every time we give word of mouth for Vita, it makes another hungry person...but it's slow.

Which is the next problem. Word of Mouth is good but slow and limited awareness to the bigger Sony audience + wider audience at large, coupled with the base buying games, has made Sony somewhat relaxed. They're just going to take their time and enjoy the slow burn. Marathon not a sprint, right? It's a good attitude in the sense that it won't be discontinued despite the die hard critics claims on various forums but it also means the announcements people want to see, won't be happening at a good clip.

That's my analysis, everything else is not something Sony can control but the problems I've highlighted are in Sony's court. Here's how I'd resolve them:

Mini teams inside EVERY SINGLE 1ST PARTY HOUSE. Yeah, time to step that game up Yoshida, tell them all to do it. But wait, you can't just order them to do so. Provide some incentive. For starters, there's lots of creative people in the popular studios that the PS Nation love. Give some of these people a chance to shine by leading small teams to make creative projects on PS Vita. It doesn't have to be more console spin offs, in fact, give them more priority for it just being a NEW experience/IP. Then for those who do want to maybe explore their worlds in a smaller package, give them a lesser bonus but better opportunity versus the studios who just won't do it at all.

Following this step, make NEW TEAMS/STUDIOS. If Sony's serious about the handheld business for the long haul, then by golly we need developers whom are serious about handhelds. They gotta want to be there and I'm sure a lot of upcoming talent, y'know the indies that Sony's been promoting at the top of their lungs, would love such an opportunity. Just imagine for a moment everyone, EXCLUSIVE Spelunky 2, EXCLUSIVE Hotline Miami 2, EXCLUSIVE...well you get the idea.

This next step they're already doing but by golly this should have been a thing towards the end of PSP in preparation for Vita. 3rd party productions needed to be in place for a long time. And from there, they probably need two branches, Handheld team and Console team cause otherwise I fear the types of decisions the team will make since they can focus on consoles as well. Let's all admit Sony and focusing on two platforms is terrible, which ah okay fix #3

Dedicated Handheld group in each region.

This would in advertently fix Japan's console issues xD As they probably could use a set of people dedicated to PS4 let's say. From there, make sure both sides have a decent marketing budget and access to the advertising agency they got in order to market away. Oh and hey look it fixes that other problem I mentioned; awareness.

If you've got a set of people to go to, whom will provide the news/handle the issues concerning everyone's favourite niche handheld, then that inspires confidence, increases awareness and thus more word of mouth going through.

That's pretty much it and y'know what, this one's on me Sony, go ahead. If all those points are met, it can reach Gamecube numbers at least.

Oh and my unrealistic answer to fixing a few things, in the event that no matter what, Yoshida can't do the first fix. Then it's time to get money hats. Let's be honest and admit that we really want 3rd party content because that's the nature of all Sony fans. I like to think PS fans are more like 3rd party fans because they grew up with Final Fantasy and Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid. None of which Sony made but they're synonymous with PlayStation. Therefore, money hats to get some software made for classic PS franchises. I'd start with Crash. Forget PS4, make a Crash on Vita first, surely Activision can't ask for too much on Vita. If it's good and makes decent money, then we'll go on from there to PS4 later. Then right across the pond to Japan. Where's Puzzles and Dragons? Where's Square Enix support? At least a port of KH 1.5 and 2.5 to start, along with FF Type 0 HD. We can ask for a full out exclusive KH or FF after sales of those titles come in ah and yeah Dragon Quest 8. That shouldn't have been highlighted for mobile, get out of here. That was a Vita title through and through.

That's all. I also want to say, ports are not a detriment to Vita, in fact, they're probably a selling point but just not enough to raise Vita to compelling on their own. Good ports pad the library, not make the whole bloody library, come on Sony.

APA, Yuuki, Pata and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.