Power the PS-TV Via PSP USB Charge Cable?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita & PlayStation TV Social Lounge' started by zodaex, Oct 12, 2017.

1. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

I read a guy on Reddit make an interesting claim, that apparently you can power the Playstation-TV Via a USB port if you use a PSP USB charging cable. I've never tried to do it. There's no way i'd risk harming my PS-TV trying something so out-there and being uninformed about it's safety. Does anyone here know if it's safe though and has done it before? I really enjoy having as many of my devices powered via USB as possible since i'm extremely limited on wall outlets in my home.

2. TriOpticon

TriOpticon Active Member

I am not sure how that is possible. Isn't a PSP USB cable just a USB A connector at one end and the PSP connection at the other? I am not sure how that would work.

3. zodaex

I've never owned a PSP so I don't have the cable, but when I google for pictures of said cable online it does indeed appear to be the same connector that would fit directly into the PS-TV's power socket.

Roscoe Jones likes this.
  4. Roscoe Jones

Roscoe Jones PSN ID: Roscoe369 Friend Me!

Correct. I owned a psp back in the day [had to sell it for a bus pass...i wanna cry. I was a broke teenager] it appears to have the same charging cable as the PSTV. I'm not sure of the voltage of both systems tho.

5. lesdennis

lesdennis Well-Known Member

Roscoe Jones likes this.
  6. Roscoe Jones

Roscoe Jones PSN ID: Roscoe369 Friend Me!

7. zodaex

8. Stefarno

Stefarno Well-Known Member

The PSP charger and the PS TV power supply are identical, so if the USB outputs enough juice it would work.

zodaex likes this.
  9. lesdennis

lesdennis Well-Known Member

um sorry but I can't locate the PSP usb power cable, I have 2 PSP's; one cable is connected up to my PSTV / PSP Go (I switch it between the two) - I can't get to this easily I am afraid

The other cable I can only locate the power brick part and not the USB cable part, if manage to locate the missing cable i'll get back to you

zodaex likes this.