PS Vita Gamer Dads

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by psn_Witcher, Sep 2, 2015.

1. psn_Witcher

psn_Witcher Active Member

For anyone out there who has learned the true meaning of "gaming on the go," who has fallen in love with the pause button so that you can change a diaper or has had to find family friendly games that are fun for adults, this post is for you- the Gamer Dads. I am the father of two (haha, or at least two for now?), and I love hearing stories and tips from other PS Vita gamers. Feel free to to post thoughts on games, dad-gaming tips (putting on Scooby Doo on the TV for the kids while remote streaming your PS4 to the Vita), or maybe arrange some online gaming sessions with other dads. Any and all ideas are welcome.

Lorenzo and Hayase like this.
  2. Hayase

Hayase Well-Known Member

I defeated Neil (Boss in ResidentEvil Revelations 2 Episode 3) while having my sleeping 1 y.o. daughter in my arms. She woke up at the beginning of the fight but fell asleep again after feeding her so i could end the chapter. It was 4 a.m.

2-4 a.m. is a good and sometimes the only time to play as a dad.

psn_Witcher likes this.
  3. psn_Witcher

I hear you. When my kids were newborns, I took a lot of "night shifts" with the baby. My wife got to sleep un-interrupted, the baby slept on me, and I played through a few hours of games with a wireless headset on. With my first new born (now 4), I spent a decent amount of time playing Catherine on the PS3. When my second kid was a new born (now 18 months) I was on Assassin's Creed PS4/Little King's Story on PS Vita.

4. 2048Dan

2048Dan Well-Known Member

I played a lot of Gravity Rush with my baby girl sleeping next to me. Maybe that's why I remember that game so fondly. :)

Now I play a lot of Minecraft ad-hoc with my 7 year old son. It's kinda fun, but I wish there were more family friendly co-op games on the Vita.

psn_Witcher and Barcellona like this.
  5. jandermann1978

jandermann1978 Well-Known Member

...same here, except my boys (twins, both with their own Vitas!!!) are 8 years old and usually wants to play Minecraft, Need for Speed Most Wanted or some matches in Fifa 14 with me...it´s fun!!!...but my real "mission" is to show them some games that I grew up with. That came to my mind when one of them asked me one day, if Minecraft was around when I was in their age...

...yeah, if only the Lego-Games on the Vita had a co-op mode like the Console Versions!!!

2048Dan, psn_Witcher and Barcellona like this.
  6. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

The bulk of my gaming time is on my Vita as a spend 1 1/2 hours a day on the train getting to/from work. While my children are slightly older (4 and 5), I don't get a huge amount of gaming time at home - mainly early morning at the weekends while they're playing or eating breakfast, before the day starts...

My eldest quite enjoys gaming - he plays a bit of Angry Birds/Angry Birds Racing on the iPad and enjoys playing Minecraft on the PS4 and watching me play NFS: Most Wanted on the PS3. I've tried to get him to play the likes of LittleBigPlanet, MarioKart on the Wii or one of the console Lego games on co-op, but I think he finds the controls a bit tricky so gets frustrated...

psn_Witcher likes this.
  7. psn_Witcher

Yeah, the controls can be a bit tricky at that age. My 4 year old liked Child of Light co-op, since the little blue light doesn't have a ton of direct impact and I can help take control during puzzles without him knowing. It was a pretty fun introduction for him to RPGs.

Introducing my kids to some of the older games is getting easier with the HD-Remaster releases. My two boys now hum the final fantasy x-post battle song.

The Lego games definitely need co-op, or at least for when my kids get a bit older. I have a feeling that Legos Portals is going to be the next amiibos/skylanders for kids too.

8. Darkknezz

Darkknezz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    DarkScollo
    Long time member of this forum, super long time gamer and father of an almost 1 year old. I get most of my gaming done in bite sized chunks from my vita (mostly) or my 3ds xl. Occasionally, when she's in bed at night I'll get on my xbox360 or PS3.

psn_Witcher likes this.
  9. Darkknezz

PSN ID:
    DarkScollo
    Feel free to add me psn DarkScollo

psn_Witcher likes this.
  10. psn_Witcher

Definitely, could always use a few more Vita friends!

coachjjs75 and Darkknezz like this.
  11. Darkknezz

PSN ID:
    DarkScollo
    I have 2 vitas and over 130 vita games between 50 physical games and the rest either PS classics, PS plus or digitally purchased. Needless to say I'm a big vita fan

psn_Witcher likes this.
  12. Reshes

Reshes New Member

As a father of two and full time IT professional, I only get about 2-3 hours a day of Vita time in, 1 hour on my lunch and the other 1 or 2 usually at home after the kids are asleep, house tidied up, attention paid to my wife, and homework finished.

That said, the ability to put my Vita to sleep and resume where I left off is a god send, couple that with how easy it is to charge and how it'll keep your save state alive if the battery dips below a certain threshold, and I'm in love.

Sadly my son is not old enough and I don't intend to make gaming a mainstay until he is a bit older so we don't play anything co-op and he does not often watch me because I play JRPG's 99% of the time. He has however had fun watching me play Thomas Was Alone, Stealth Inc., Velocity Ultra, Whoa Dave!, and other small indie titles occasionally.

I don't have many multiplayer games and am not very high ranks in them, but I'm always up for vanilla Toukiden, Dragon's Crown, Freedom Wars, and vanilla Ragnarok Odyssey.

psn_Witcher and Darkknezz like this.
  13. psn_Witcher

The instantly pause/put to sleep option is a fantastic feature for Dads. Hard to be high ranking in MP games with family responsibilities. We will have to try an organize some MP sometime just for fun. I have all of those games minus Toukiden, and I mostly play Dragon's Crown and Freedom Wars.

14. Darkknezz

PSN ID:
    DarkScollo
    Yea the sleep feature is a God send. I have Dragons crown, vanilla Toukiden and Kiwami, Vanilla S Sacrifice and Delta, Freedom Wars, Killzone, need for speed, sonic Racing, LB Planet, Ragnarok Odyssey, declassified and most of the fighting games and a bunch of rpgs. Not sure where you guys live but time zones play a role in getting in some MP. I'm in eastern time zone out of Pennsylvania

I also have Gundam Breaker 2 which is amazing.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  15. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

I use the sleep feature all of the time. In fact, my Vita only gets properly switched off on very rare occasions :)

I use the sleep/instant resume feature on the PS4 all of the time too

16. Rat King 64

Rat King 64 Well-Known Member

I got a PSP after our second child was born because I finally decided to accept that it was going to be years (if ever) before I would have lots of free time to play games at home again. Having a hand held meant that I could take advantage of extra time on my lunch hour or on business trips for gaming. While my co-workers sat in their hotel rooms watching over priced movies on the in-room entertainment I was playing good JRPGs in my room (blissfully uninterrupted by kids).

Apart from the convenience of gaming on the go, using a handheld also means that I do not have to worry about turning the TV down when I play games at home. Most of my game time happens after the kids are in bed. I can put on headphones and have a good audio experience without anyone else being affected.

Lastly, the ability to put the machine to sleep at any time is a godsend for parents in a busy house hold. It frequently happens that I am in the middle of a gaming session, nowhere near a save point, and I am called to go and deal with something. I can put the machine to sleep and leave it for hours if need be. When I come back I can pick up right where I left off. With console games I was reluctant to play if I was not sure how much time I had available.

17. Rat King 64

Rat King 64 Well-Known Member

I posted my response before reading some of the others. It is funny that we all think sleep mode is the greatest thing ever for dads :)

18. jandermann1978

jandermann1978 Well-Known Member

...it´s the most underrated feature on the Vita, I think!!!...;)

19. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

I wish I had a son or daughter to share my Vita with :(

20. psn_Witcher

My four year old loves to watch me play the FFX Remastered. It is really fun, but I think I more enjoy hearing him sing the victory fanfare theme randomly when he is running around the house or playing.

Brenten, jandermann1978 and 2048Dan like this.
  21. Brenten

Brenten Member

Another (proud) dad here.

I have fond memories playing PS2 on a bean bag with our first baby sleeping on me. Now, we have 5 kids. (Yeah, that's right) and the Vita has become my main platform. The kids' ages range from 3 to 10. We also have a PS3 and PS4, the latter of which is mostly used for Minecraft. The kids use the PS3 for Lego Marvel Superheroes, Disney Infinity and the like.

I picked up a PlayStation TV bundle for $50 at Walmart a few weeks ago. Right now, I'm using the same PSN account on both the Vita and PS TV.... which means that multiplayer isn't going to happen unless I set up a second PSN account and buy two copies of any MP game. Decisions, decisions. I welcome advice.

As a dad, I find that I need to be careful which games I play in front of the kids. T/M ratings (or whatever the PEGI equivalents are) are there for a reason. The last thing I need is my 5 year-old pulling a Dojima face slam on his little bro. I've found that on the Vita, I can play whatever I want out of sight of the kids, including PS4 remote play. I just wish it had equivalent remote play on PS3 since I have a good back-log of un-played or incomplete PS3 games I'd love to play around the house, whenever, however.

My wife is a light sleeper, so I've nearly never been able to pull off the "play beside here while she sleeps". In large part because the buttons on the Vita click when you press them. That surprised me when I bought it and annoys me to no end because she doesn't like sleeping alone.

Anyways, here's to twin-stick fatherhood.

22. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Boys toys :)

23. Brenten

Brenten Member

I agree. I didn't even know about it coming in (I don't know anybody with a Vita and had never even played one when I got it) but it is awesome. Strange that this simple feature hasn't been done and rightfully celebrated in other consoles.

24. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

I like to save batter, so I save the game and do a complete shut down.

25. psn_Witcher

5 kids? Wow, very impressed. The wife and I are talking about number 3 but 5 is a whole different ball game (haha, and I am one of 6 boys in my family).