Ps vita grips good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Cpn_winters, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Cpn_winters

Cpn_winters New Member

Hi guys i play my vita a lot and thinking of investing in a grip. The nyko power grip looks good to me because of the added battery life only problem is id have to import as I'm in the U.K. Anyone got one or had a go with one etc or other grips?

2. Trent

Trent Owner, PS Vita Reviews

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    I have never used grips, but I do know many who have and I've heard some good things about them.

The main pros I've heard from others are that it gives the system a more familiar feel if you're used to playing with a Dual Shock 3 controller, and it reduces how often your fingers will graze the Rear Touch panel while playing, due to the fact that your fingers will be on the grips on not the back of the system.

I'd say it isn't a bad idea to give them a try. Just don't buy the most expensive ones on the market, in case you don't like them.

3. HonestPandaShow

HonestPandaShow @HonestPandaShow

I have a grip that goes around the outside of the system and even adds to the triggers. It helps as the Vita felt small in my hands as well as that extra control when I play shooters on the Vita. But in the end it really only matters on how they feel in your own hand. Also it was fairly cheap like maybe $10 brand new when I got it.

4. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    There are some good and bad things about grips, especially powered ones. I've found that in certain conditions, having something supplying power to the Vita actually causes it to perform slightly worse than normal. A good way to see this for yourself is with the digital version of The Walking Dead: Season One - check out how long it takes to register in-game choices with and without a charge going to the Vita... there's a noticeable difference.

That said, I'd recommend you trying a grip before you buy one as they'll sit differently in each person's hands and what's comfy to one person isn't to another.

5. FadedMFC

FadedMFC Member

I'm considering getting a grip for mine. Think it's between the Hori grip and the PDP trigger grip. Still undecided.

6. Cpn_winters

Cpn_winters New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. The performance differences you mentioned kyle is really interesting something i had no idea about. I think ill look up the grips you all mentioned and take it from there thanks

7. CharZarz

CharZarz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    They can at some times be good, but don't get the cheap ones.

8. ExcaliburEdge

ExcaliburEdge Active Member

I bought an el cheapo plastic grip for my vita. It's nice for preventing accidental touches on the back touch pad. It's a bit more comfortable too. It's especially useful during remote play sessions! Here's a link for it on Amazon:

New PSVita Playstation Vita Trigger Grips Black
    http://amzn.com/B0081EH12M

*Edit

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  9. Darkknezz

Darkknezz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    DarkScollo
    I got the nyko power grips, it was great for a few months because of the added battery life, then it stopped taking a charge and is now being used as a basic trigger grip. It's comfortable and easy to connect to your vita. I am very disappointed in Nyko customer support, I've contacted them several times with no luck whatsoever. Time to fill out a report on the BBB.

10. vongruetz

vongruetz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    vongruetz
    I bought the Nyko power grip almost a year ago and it still works great. I makes the Vita much more comfortable to hold and it doubles the battery life. It makes the Vita feel more like a console controller. I can't imagine playing Killzone without it.
    My only real gripe with them is they take forever recharge, and if the game you're playing requires the rear touchpad, it can make it harder to reach.

11. Techup

Techup Well-Known Member

I have the PDP Trigger Grips and tbh, I hardly ever take it off. It just feels too good in my hands to go without it. Plus I'm constantly picking it up and playing it for short bursts that there's just no reason to take it off unless I'm moving the Vita somewhere and need to put it in its case.

12. Slizarus

Slizarus Member

Like others, I love my Grips, I bought the HORI Grips a week after I bought my Vita, I even made a case out of a packing slip that fits it snug with the grips on and a cotton bag.

From time to time I take off my grips to see how it normally sits.. and I always prefer the grips, no question. I can only vouch for the HORI grips and the Ebay Cheapos with the close handles (My sister got those) and either is fine, but it's worth picking up a name brand, HORI, Nyko, PDP..