PS Vita Price Drop Coming At E3 2014?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by italodance, May 16, 2014.

1. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

The T&Cs, spotted byDualshockers, state that the PS Vita's ARV (average retail price) is $179.99, when in fact, the PS Vita is listed at $199.99 on Sony's website. A discrepancy in some T&Cs published as part of a recent Sony competition could reveal an upcoming PS Vita price drop ahead of schedule.

This could, of course, be a mistake, but it wouldn't be a huge surprise if Sony announced a PS Vita price drop at E3.

Indeed, there have been rumours that a PS Vita price drop is planned for E3 (though we are a little dubious on the source of those rumours).

We'll find out whether Sony has let slip their planned PS Vita price drop ahead of schedule, or if the information was a mistake when E3 rolls around.

Via: http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2397519/ps_vita_price_drop_coming_at_e3_2014.html

2. Magnumstache

Magnumstache Well-Known Member

It'd be a smart move, although without an accompanying drop in the price of the memory cards it might not make much difference.

I do think the Vita's reputation for being expensive is unjustified - a 3DS XL will set you back as much, if not more - but it's the added, often unforeseen expense of the memory cards that I think causes this stigma.

A 10-20% drop in base unit and memory card prices would be very welcome.

Magnumstache.

Kurisutina, dantheman180 and Murphy like this.
  3. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

I totally disagree I don't know how much Sony is stupid,they just want to change the hardware like announcing new Vita 2000 or new Vita TV,where's software? Which one is more important to users?
    when there's no future and no more games what is that point? Even reduce the price of Vita or memory cards.

Just wasting time again,we need new and more games in all of genres not only a genre.

Sony should have bring more games specially big titles and AAA games to Vita.

That's it otherwise it's still a stupid move even at E3.

Papertale likes this.
  4. tubers

tubers Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2K's MSRP would be $ 179.99 / 189.99

Weren't Japan's 2K roughly 10 bucks cheaper as well?

Something like the VITA 1K costing ¥ 19,900 and the VITA 2K ¥ 18,980.

5. MrAlsVita

MrAlsVita Well-Known Member

I have been hearing about a price drop on the net. It would be nice to see a $149.99 price tag, but I don't think that Sony can really afford that right now.

6. Murphy

Murphy Founder Staff Member

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    As others have stated, it's not the price of the Vita as such that is the issue. Visibility, awareness and the additional cost of the memory cards are the issue. Dropping the price by $20 but still needing a memory card is still a bitter pill. Maybe stick an 8GB card with every Vita unit, game or not would be a good start. Stop using download codes in bundles would be another.

A drop of 15% for cards on top of this would be even better.

Papertale and dantheman180 like this.
  7. MrAlsVita

MrAlsVita Well-Known Member

They already did a price drop on the cards. Sony won't be dropping the price on them further anytime soon. Hell, those pro duo sticks are still expensive.

8. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

Totally agree. The price of the Vita itself isn't the issue. It's the lack of general awareness, price of the required additional memory cards and lack of exclusive, high profile AAA games.

9. radmiralackbar

radmiralackbar Active Member

You guys are lucking hoping/getting a price drop, the vita 2k release here in Australia is set for $270 I do not understand why it is always SO much more expensive here. It drives me insane. I do not want to see the price of vita TV if that ever gets a release here.

10. Magnumstache

Magnumstache Well-Known Member

If you apply a direct conversion that's about the price of a PS Vita here in the U.K. (about £150-180). I was actually surprised when the article said the Vita generally retails for $199 - on Amazon.com it's nearer $270 U.S.

Magnumstache.

11. PSVITAGAMINGUNITE

PSVITAGAMINGUNITE Member

Sony still does not understand that the price is not the problem here. It's the line up of games. Why aren't they listening?

italodance likes this.
  12. Trent

Trent Owner, PS Vita Reviews

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    I'll take a price drop, if this rumor is true.

While I won't act like it's going to be the savior of all the possible of issues for the Vita, it's a nice step in the right direction. I know of a few people I work with that want to get a Vita, but would prefer the price to be a little cheaper.

13. PixelKnot

PixelKnot Well-Known Member

I think the price of the Vita itself is fine. It's pretty affordable. And for what it offers at $199.99 hardware-wise, it's good value.

It's the memory cards that truly need to take price cuts. I'm not going to buy an 32GB card for $80.

14. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

Memory drop not console drop. That's not going to get people to buy the system when they need a larger memory card off the bat.

15. MatrixxGT

MatrixxGT Member

Exposure, advertising, and a few exclusive games that offer experience only availiable on the vita is what Sony needs.
    Price is fine, people gobble up 3dsXL $199.99 price all day long.

As far as memory cards go, yes they could be cheaper but still isn't going to turn anything around. One look at your local big box store and you'd never know vita existed. I have recieved more than my fair share value for money spent on my vitas but its an niche product of an already niche market.

Me, personally have a backlog to last me a good year or so if not 1 more game came to vita ever again.

16. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

It is true that if more games were out, the console would sell itself. 3ds has a pipeline of games in the works and releasing year round. The vita tends to go months between releases of bigger named games.

italodance likes this.
  17. MatrixxGT

MatrixxGT Member

Yep, unfortunately not much 3ds offers entertains me anymore. Not interested in many of the "boatload" of games. Vita is much better on my eyes too. Especially when I tend to play my handhelds for longs periods of time.

18. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

I agree but I can't discount that the 3ds offers a lot of variety and is appealing to most obviously.

italodance and PixelKnot like this.
  19. MatrixxGT

MatrixxGT Member

Most definitely. I thought I'd be interesting to know how many 3ds sold to which age groups outside japan. Many in my family have one but except for me and my wife they are all under 10 years old.

20. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

They still have games I like and I'll be 22 in July. But a lot of them are very kid friendly. You won't find borderlands of killzone on them.

MatrixxGT likes this.
  21. PixelKnot

PixelKnot Well-Known Member

This. While I do prefer to play on the Vita, there's no denying that the 3DS's library is pretty diverse.

Caleb likes this.
  22. DuhWhitePanda

DuhWhitePanda Well-Known Member

Holding off till E3 until I decide to buy myself a slim... If I can hold off that long. $4,500 coming this Friday.

23. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

The slim price won't differ IMO. It will be released 10-20 cheaper but might as well just get the BL2 bundle, sell the code and memory card.

24. DuhWhitePanda

DuhWhitePanda Well-Known Member

Well right now it'd cost me $230 after taxes. If Vita came on its own at $179 it would cost around $202.

25. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

You can sell the BL2 code for 25 easily and the 8 gb for 15.