Ps Vita Slim Opinion and Rate (0-10)

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by LuisMiguel41, Nov 23, 2014.

1. LuisMiguel41

LuisMiguel41 Active Member

Hi guys,
    Im thinking in buying a PsVita Slim for Xmas... Whats your opinion about it ?? How much would u rate it (0-10) ??

2. Trent

Trent Owner, PS Vita Reviews

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    9/10.

I imported a White/Blue Slim from Japan quite awhile before the West got it so I could write a review for it for my site. Almost everything is an improvement, in my opinion. It's more comfortable to hold. A little more battery life. The rear touch screen is a little smaller to lower the risk of accidentally hitting it in the middle of a game. And I really like the feel of the different material on the back of the device.

The screen is different, but don't let anyone fool you with their over-exaggerations and OLED Supremacy arguments. In truth, the LCD screen has lighter/brighter shades of colors than the OLED, but I wouldn't say it's any better or worse, quality-wise. Something you just see for awhile and before long, you won't notice it. Honestly, I have an OLED and Slim,and I haven't touched the original model hardly at all since getting the Slim.

LuisMiguel41 likes this.
  3. LuisMiguel41

I wear glasses so PsVita slim screen should be better for me cause its no to bright ;)

4. Eni

Eni Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    CommonComitatus
    9/10.

Basically seconding everything Trent says above. The screen looks gorgeous, and the only time you're gonna notice a difference is if you have the two versions playing the same game side-by-side at the same time, and how often is that likely to happen? Most important for me, though, is that the Slim is way way way more comfortable to hold, which if you're going for even just a couple hours' gameplay makes all the difference.

5. LuisMiguel41

Will i be able to play against the fat ps vita ?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  6. Trent

Trent Owner, PS Vita Reviews

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    You mean like multiplayer with both on the same account? If so, then that's a yes, sorta. You can do Ad Hoc multiplayer all you want between Vita, PSP, etc, regardless of model and PSN account. But if a multiplayer game requires you to be online/signed into PSN, then you'll just have to make sure each Vita is signed into a different PSN account.

7. Fokkusu

Fokkusu The orginal fox

PSN ID:
    Joeow
    Better battery life
    Micro USB charging

10/10 what a handheld should be.

8. radmiralackbar

radmiralackbar Active Member

I have only ever owned and played the Vita Slim, I have no issues with it what so ever. It is really comfortable to hold and play for extended periods of time, battery life is great and you have afew colours to choose from. If you get one you wont regret it.

9. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo Well-Known Member

I only played with one in store but prefer the OLED of the original. I liked the size and weight and I bet prefer the battery life but until my original craps out, I'll stick with it.

10. Oxygen1777

Oxygen1777 Member

PSN ID:
    Oxygen1777
    in my country,slim is two fat price so i ll not recommend anyone slim model.

11. Murphy

Murphy Founder Staff Member

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    9/10.

The OLED is phenomenal, there is no denying that but the slim is more conformable to hold, play and I actually prefer the LCD screen now that I have got used to it. I haven't used my OLED model since I bought the slim. With a much longer battery life as well as improved touchpad I can't recommend it enough, although the on board memory is essential useless, plus the removal of the accessory port all but guarantees no future innovative accessories or TV out.

Kurisutina likes this.
  12. VietLe

VietLe Well-Known Member

Actually I have already had a hold of a slim VITA and IMO it is way too slim. I don't really like the feel of it on my hands. I prefer the hold of the phat VITA, it fits my hands perfectly.

As for the screen, I would have to agree that even though people are saying that the LCD is inferior to OLED, the only time you will notice it is when you have two VITA side by side. Besides, remember that OLED has this burn-in problem and the black-dot-on-gray-background-in-very-dark-room thing lol

Besides, the battery life is said to be not just better but like almost-double better.

Update: I'm selling my Phat Vita on ebay to get a slim one. I'm a heavy-gamer and 3-4 hours playing is just not enough.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  13. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

I haven't used the original Vita so I can't compare. From what I've heard and the comparison videos I've seen online, the OLED screen of the original has better colour saturation and brightness but apart from that, there isn't much else. Having said that, the LCD screen on the Slim is perfectly fine - I usually have the brightness to about 40-50% and have not noticed dim colour saturation. It looks completely fine.

On top of that, the extra battery life and slimmer form factor are major bonuses. As I've mentioned on a few other threads, you can probably pick up the Slim in a pack so you get an 8GB memory card and 5 downloadable games with it at a decent price point.

14. DeathMoJo

How much longer are you seeing on battery life? I am starting pf thinking about picking one up, got some leftover Xmas fun money.

15. DelusionMan

DelusionMan Active Member

I don't know what the average battery life of the original is, but with a brightness setting of 50%, I've managed 6-7 hours before I get the "The battery power is running low" or whatever message on the Slim.

DeathMoJo and VietLe like this.
  16. VietLe

VietLe Well-Known Member

The battery of the original is not as good as of the slim. In my experience, it's about almost 3 hours playing games like NFS, Assassin's creed.

17. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

I get about 6-7 hours out of the Slim, mixture of playing games and some casual browsing with Twitter/email.

18. VietLe

VietLe Well-Known Member

True. I would take that 3 hours over such a slight difference in picture quality in a heart beat lol. But that's just my perspective, other people might value battery life less than image quality.

19. DeathMoJo

Wow that is pretty damn good, I get 3-4 with the brightness at its lowest on the original. Hmm... decisions.

20. DSveno

DSveno Active Member

I would value the original one more than the slim, seeing as I mostly only play it at home. However that doesn't mean the slim is bad. If saying the original as 10, the slim would be 9 for all the convenient it gives.

How different the screen is entirely depends on how good your eyes at perceived color range, so it varies for everyone, and no one could really tell you clearly. To this day the yellow tint is still bothering me, but I could live with that.