PS Vita TV - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Jawessome, Jan 5, 2014.

?

Will You Buy A PS Vita TV (US/EU edition)?

1. No question about it.

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. I may wait to see the price and final compatibility

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. Jawessome

Jawessome Permanent Resident of Vita Island

PSN ID:
    PurrrePunjabi
    Personally I think another peripheral that improves the exposure of the Vita can only be a plus. Would I get one provided they see an eventual western release? If the price is right? Absolutely!

If our friends at Guerrilla Cambridge are any indication, it appears it's only a matter of time.

What does everyone else think? Is the PS Vita TV a worthy potential investment?

EDIT: I submitted the post before I could add a few more poll questions. I'm not biased... honest. Oops!

Murphy likes this.
  2. hunterslasher13

hunterslasher13 Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    hunterslasher27
    Honestly I am not interested in the Vita TV, the only place I want to play handheld games is on the handheld. It being on TV is pointless from my perspective but I can see the appeal.

Murphy likes this.
  3. Chaz3010

Chaz3010 Former Deputy Editor Staff Member

PSN ID:
    Chaz3010
    I for one will definitely be purchasing a Vita TV, mainly so that I can use it to stream PS4 games on to the other TV in my house.

Not too sure that I will use it to play Vita games on, as most of them have Vita specific functions that I think may be difficult to replicate on a Dual Shock.

I will definitely use it for it Media features, will mean that I can have Netflix etc on in the spare room also.

Jawessome likes this.
  4. Murphy

Murphy Founder Staff Member

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    I personally see no use for it myself, but think that it is a very interesting periheral for those without a Vita. Anything that increases the amount of "Vita" units, even if it is an alternative and less true form, is fine by me.

It is great that studios such as Guerrilla are looking at ways of making their games compatible with Vita TV, the best games need to be available on it.

Jawessome likes this.
  5. mafia97

mafia97 Member

I am only interested in VITA tv because BigAntStudios said they will port don bradman cricket 14 to vita if vita tv is a success.
    So my fingers are crossed.

6. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'll buy one, but I think it's a great idea and I hope it does well.

Jawessome likes this.
  7. MyquiH

MyquiH New Member

I think it's a cool way to do 'remote play' of my PS4 on another TV in the house via crossplay, or just to play the odd Vita game on the TV, like Uncharted, or <name some other cool Vita but not PS3/PS4 game here>...

I really thought I'd use CrossPlay a lot, but so far very little.

Jawessome likes this.
  8. Trent

Trent Owner, PS Vita Reviews

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    I think it is a very neat idea, and I may very well end up buying one when it does get localized and get released over in the states. I don't really see myself using it for PS4 Games, but more to play Vita and other compatible games on the TV rather than on the Vita, itself. I used to go back and forth between TV-Out and normal with the PSP and I had a lot of fun with that. I imagine it will be the same kind of fun with the Vita TV.

Jawessome likes this.
  9. ExcaliburEdge

ExcaliburEdge Active Member

I love it! Finally a way to play psp and vita games on the big screen! It'll also keep those old ps1 classics on the big screen since ps4 isn't bw compatible. I can already hear the clamor for Squeenix to put FF7: Crisis Core on PSN just for vitaTV.

Jawessome likes this.
  10. LowZ98

LowZ98 New Member

I am looking forward to seeing how it develops over the next few months, I reckon they will bring it overseas and the big reason I am interested in it is finally being able to play my favourite games on my TV.

Jawessome likes this.
  11. Brian Sharon

Brian Sharon Well-Known Member

I've been pretty forthcoming about my interest in PS Vita TV and I really hope that Sony does release it in the western market.

Many detractors state that on its own it's not quite substantial enough to warrant a purchase, but in my eyes that's not necessarily the goal.
    This is a brand-new piece of hardware aimed at connecting you, and your home, to the PlayStation ecosystem - and to me that's truly exciting.

Even as a stand-alone item I believe that there is value to be found if the pricing scheme is kept intact upon its (potential) arrival.
    The west is the land of media-streaming, and the PS Vita TV rivals any dedicated hardware in it's price range, perhaps even offering more in capabilities for a lesser price - and that's hard to argue with.

Jawessome and ExcaliburEdge like this.
  12. Pata

Pata Well-Known Member

As Murphy said, I don't see many uses for myself since:
    -I don't really watch streamed content (we don't have apps like Netflix over here)
    -I don't want to play handheld games on a TV, I want to play them in a handheld consoles (being said, I'm curious about how games are going to be optimised for Vita like Killzone or the upcoming Shantae game from WayForward)
    -I, literally, have no space in my bedroom to put another console in there(even if it's small)

Murphy likes this.
  13. OtaXou

OtaXou Member

Can't agree more with Brian.

I'll just add that what makes the PS Vita TV an instant buy for me is that it enables us to capture Vita games (not all of them), which would come handy for me as I try to share the Vita love on my YouTube channel

14. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

I'd definitely buy one if it was ever released here - Mainly for the option of playing some Vita titles on the big screen, but also remote-play for the PS4 (once I get one).

For £100/$100, it seems like a no-brainer

It'd also be a great way of letting my kids play Vita games, without the risk of them dropping the damn thing :)

Jawessome likes this.
  15. Kevling

Kevling Member

My only real interest is also for PS4 remote play, but as I only have one tv in the house, it's kinda pointless.

Not sure about playing Vita games on the big screen - without the benefit of that lovely OLED screen, I'm not sure a big TV will do it any favours.

So maybe this poll needs a third answer: No

:)

16. ExcaliburEdge

Agreed. Many people have no problem dropping $100 on a video streaming device, like Apple TV. Sony has a leg up, since vita tv can bring a huge catalogue of great games along with netflix and the like.

17. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    Well.

I think PSVita TV is a great idea and will likely buy one if the price is right, however it's not very high on my list of "things to get". I think I'd mainly use it for the convenience of Remote Play from PlayStation 4 as I've got pre-existing setups for all the other features. The only Vita games I'd likely play on Vita TV are the ones that are ports (or look gorgeous) and maybe some PSOne classics. I severely doubt it'd entice me away from playing my actual handheld Vita.

Jawessome and ExcaliburEdge like this.
  18. lightfellow

lightfellow Member

I don't like it... The funny thing about the vita is that is a handheld, I have no interest in playing Vita games on the TV. Even if is cheap I think that I'll end up using the vita and never using the ps vita tv

19. Nates4Christ

Nates4Christ Member

Jawessome likes this.
  20. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    Nice find Nate, the whole nearly seamless transition option that the Vita TV adds when used across the same account (and swapping memory cards in and out) is a god-send for those who have proper access to content. To be honest, that feature alone calls for a Vita TV+Classic Vita bundle IMO.

Nates4Christ likes this.
  21. Nates4Christ

Nates4Christ Member

How about how small and seamless it is to hook up? Cool! Sounds like a great option for someone like myself that travels with work and stays in hotels sometimes.

22. Brian Sharon

Brian Sharon Well-Known Member

I think the value of the PS Vita is raised exponentially by your means of living. If you live among family, a spouse or roommates - all sharing various televisions in the house, it can be a godsend. By virtue of its theoretical capabilities, having a PS Vita TV and a PS4 in different rooms is essentially like having two consoles in the same home.

Now how much this appeals to you, well that again depends on your lifestyle. For me, with a girlfriend, family & various friends who pass by my humble abode; I can see it being extremely helpful.

Jawessome, Flying_Pig and Chaz3010 like this.
  23. AnabolicFrolic

AnabolicFrolic Active Member

I will, without question buy a Vita TV. From my point of view, it gives me a second, very portable, option for playing my PS4. I have a wife who games, but hates going down into the "man-cave" in the basement. Recently, I've been moving the PS4 between the living room and the basement, which is not ideal.
    Also, I have family out of town and this system is the ideal travel companion. Traveling with a PS4 is terrifying!

In addition to all that, at least some of my Vita titles will work on it. Support will vary in this area, so I can't count this as my main reason for purchase. However, I suspect most of the stronger titles in Vita's stellar library will gain support, so this could very well turn into justification enough.

If the $100 price point holds, it looks like a no brainer to me!

24. CharZarz

CharZarz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    I'm not buying the PsVita Tv, and I think it was a stupid idea to make it. I would love to see Hulu Plus, Redbox, Crackle, and ETC before you make something like the PsVita Tv.

25. ExcaliburEdge

We do a lot of netflix streaming in our home on an appleTV. Buying a Vita TV for the same price would be a sure bet.

AnabolicFrolic likes this.