PSP3/VITA2 POSSIBLE ,BUT WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by 3VOLVE, May 31, 2018.

1. 3VOLVE

3VOLVE PSN ID: Dusean17

Apparently Sony Corp "PlayStation Chief" John Kodera said he sees a future in portable gaming and even goes as far as to say that it is in Sony's blood and they should attempt to explore what customers want from a portable.

Now as a super super hardcore Vita fan, hyping it up back when it was called "NGP" (that's how you tell fake fans from the biggest) I love my Vita and I love the idea of them making a PSP3 (we'll call it for lack of confusion). But should they? The argument was presented in the video above and he has a great point. Sony are going to balancing: PS4/PS5 (Since new consoles don't overwrite old ones immediately)/PSVR/PSP3? That's too much. PSP3 needs it own dedicated games that are "exclusive" and needs a push on its title localization to make sure that it stays consistent in every major gaming region.

My issue is that Vita while amazing is clearly outdated and it is time to move on. It is honestly is time for SONY to reclaim that market and to do it better and bigger than last time with actual effort like they did with the PS3. Remember the PS3 (If you are true fan you'll know) it was a underdog. Overpriced "$599.99". No Software. No dedicated Online Functionality. And it was honestly just not worth it for the first 2-3 years, arguably.
    If they make PSP3, there need to be some changes and not to sound like a broken record but:

MANDATORY
    - No Proprietary Memory Cards/Overpriced and Mandatory Memory Cards
    - No Shared Library that supports the idea of Multi-Platform/Cross-Play titles
    - No Gimmicks: Back Touch, Cameras and 3G/4G can go
    - Focus on Localized Titles for Healthy Regional Support
    - No advertising as a toy for your PS4, Overpriced Remote Play
    - No overshadowing it with your PS4/PS5 and leaving it for dead, rather make sure it gains its own audience
    - No kneejerking on your ad campaigns 2 years in
    - No lack of backwards compatibility for unknown reasons
    - No First-Party rushed out/Halfway developed titles that lack standard modern gaming features/functionality and are advertised as something they are not.

Let me know if there are any other mandatory requirements for a PSP3 and also what you think about the possibility of a PSP3. Would you support it or is it too late?

2. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

I posted the same thing on your status, but I wouldn't be too excited instantly. I find it much more likely they'll use 5G to allow for better PS4 streaming on the go or some bollocks like that.

3. 3VOLVE

Definitely will pass on a PSP Go successor. Either we have physical/digital compatibility or it can burn in hell lol.

TheAtom likes this.
  4. 2048Dan

2048Dan Well-Known Member

I have pretty much zero hopes for a dedicated handheld like the PSP or Vita.

It is more likely that it will be one of the following:

* Streaming app for phones, like the new Steam link app.
    * PS Now using 5G, either with a dedicated device or with phones/tablet
    * Best case scenario: a device that can play scaled down PS5 games. Any games released on the PS5 also works on the portable device.

5. TheAtom

2048Dan I'd be down for that best case scenario!

6. zodaex

zodaex Blow monsters with all new weapons

I'd personally would want it to be lower powered than the original PS4 because with today's technology the battery life would be absolutely terrible. I'd really like to see the return of handhelds with battery life to last threw the entire day like the 11.5 hours I get on my old DSi-XL SE. The battery life on my fat 3DS and fat Vita are so bad that I generally leave the A/C adapter plugged in the whole time which defeats the purpose of a handheld to me.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    3VOLVE likes this.
  7. 3VOLVE

I agree in that these devices seem like they are easy to make and produce but the main issue was handheld's heat production. Which is why I say it should play up to PS3 digitally with backwards compatibility. The important thing is that the device gets exclusive support and doesn't depend on new hardware's cross-play software. PS5 will undoubtedly overshadow it. There is no if and or but especially with how PS VITA performed.

8. McFungos

McFungos Well-Known Member

I think people are overlooking the strongest deterrent for a next PSP/Vita.

The biggest issue is that people in the West aren't ready to pay more than 40€ for handheld games.
    And even at 40€ people here are complaining loudly.

Regardless what Sony would do there is no Western third party that will release 720p handheld games at 40€.
    Japanese third party are already selling their games between 50-80€ in their domestic market thus could live with 40€ price tag outside Japan.

9. 3VOLVE

Dunno where you live but for the majority that is simply not true at all. 40 dollars is 20 dollars less than console titles with the added fact that subscriptions rack up prices heavily. Unless you are speaking based off personal opinion but I've very very very rarely heard of this argument as a huge NGP supporter since day one.

10. McFungos

I can assure you that there are plenty of "i will never purchase a PS Vita game for 40€" gamers out there and obviously there are less likely to be hanging around Vita community places.

There are those who play at "let's see how far the price can drop" :(

I had once a heated discussion with someone stating that Toukiden 2 was so bad that it should be released for $20 day one which i answered something like at that price better not release the game in PS Vita in the West at all if i was Koei Tecmo.

Another time i read someone posting that he will never pay 40€ for a Steins;Gate because it's a Visual Novel as if VN aren't among the most costly to localize games :(

11. 3VOLVE

That's called being a gamer. That's not the majority most certainly. PSVITA isn't alone in this.

12. Retro8bit

Retro8bit Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    Retro-8-bit
    As I've said a bunch of times before: "Here's hoping...but I'll believe it when I see it."

13. McFungos

Save that eventually we never reached the critical size of "Day one buyers" to be economically profitable enough for Western Third party :(

History likes to repeat itself. The next Sony next handheld game price won't be $40 but more likely $50 or $60. At this level of pricing i really doubt that we can reach that said critical size :(

TheAtom likes this.
  14. TheAtom

That like above is an ''agree' more than a like xD.

I am very doubtful that Sony will do a dedicated handheld. I can imagine streaming apps, streaming systems or a possible hybrid console, personally.

15. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony makes a new handheld, they see the Switch is selling well so Sony already has $$$ in their eyes.

The question is more if they screw it up like they did with the Vita, knowing Sony that's a yes.

Renegade Bastard and 3VOLVE like this.
  16. 3VOLVE

The only big mistake I can see them making is the lack of consistent support of games given proper time and funding like with the PS4. They need to let go of PSVR, PS4 before they make another handheld. Unless they dicontinue the PS4 to make a portable that plays PS4 games and that allows devs to keep developing on PS4. I think that's the best option. And to eventually allow emulation for PS3, PS2, PSX and PSP. With backwards physical compatibility with PSVITA.

That'd be my ideal device. I'd buy two day one.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it that's the most profitable way to do it is to make a Switch-esque PS4 and discontinue the other models slowly that way it works seamlessly with PSVR and has a stable library at launch for almost a decade.

17. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

I know more stuff they could screw up and marketing is indeed 1 of them.

To name 2 of them (list is long otherwise) it is proprietary memory cards and a price that is too high.

I doubt a new portable could run PS4 games, in theory that could be possible but not on current architecture (because how power hungry it is) but IF they wanted to do that then 720p at most would be perfect for such portable (because most PS4 games run at 900p to 1080p so lower resolution would mean less GPU/CPU power needed to play them).

PSX, PS2 and PSP emulation would be easy, but we can forget PS3 emulation for the most part because of how complex it would be to emulate it and thus the performance would suck, Vita emulation wise I can only imagine the PS TV way because otherwise they would need to put that horrible back touch pad on their new handheld.

And dump PSVR, it's silly and even PS5 won't have enough power for good VR (PC's do it better but in my opinion the new generations of GPU's would really make it fun, now it also sucks on PC).

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  18. 3VOLVE

True I suppose optimism made its way into my doubting mind. I know PS4-tech wouldn't be possible. PS3 would be but because of the processor and the architecture of the PS3 it make it more difficult to develop on and have backwards compatibility as well similar to the issue with PS4 playing PS3 games. I honestly think they should just make a new portable and see how they could tie it into the PS Ecosystem without it feeling forced, gimmicky or having it rely on other hardware. If it eventually relies on other hardware it will cause some issues like the new device getting overshadowed by PS5, PS4 and PSVR. Which is why I say PS4 needs to be dropped along with PSVR so they can have room to develop for this new hardware. It needs exclusives and exclusives given proper time and support otherwise it will fail.