PSTV Full Compatibility

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Roscoe Jones, May 11, 2017.

1. Roscoe Jones

Roscoe Jones PSN ID: Roscoe369 Friend Me!

Does anyone know or think that the pstv will be fully compatible with all Vita games (like it should be) in the future?! [If not answered already]

zodaex likes this.
  2. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    It'll never, ever be fully compatible.

Whether or not it'll let you TRY any game (without circumvention methods) would be nice, but I doubt that very much as well.

3. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

Like Kyle already mentioned, there is pretty much zero chance of every game ever being compatible someday. I was reading once on the internet (so take this with a grain of salt but it makes perfect sense) that Sony was legally obligated to do some kind of measure to block all Vita games on the Vita Tv/PS-TV that were not approved by the original developers to play on the Vita TV. These written and signed terms are made in order to protect developers to keep their games from suddenly stopping from working on future revisions of PS-Vitas. Think of consumers who had purchased games such as Arkanoid on the Nintendo DS, or Guitar Hero on Nintendo DS. Both of these games play via the use of add-on accessories that plug into the Nintendo DS's "Slot 2" that Nintendo actually completely dropped with the NDS's third hardware revision, the DSi. The DSi was still a Nintendo DS, but because of Nintendo's hardware changes it left a couple of dev's games in the cold.

This applies even more so with the PS-Vita because despite the Vita TV being in the same hardware family as the Vita-TV and literally being capable of natively running Vita software and games, several core components were totally removed that a lot of older Vita software expects to see. These include the motion gyro, touchscreen, rear touchpad, Mobile GPS and microphone. Older Vita software that was developed even before the Vita TV existed usually works, however there are all sorts of issues you could potentially run into when you try to run software on even a slightly different hardware platform than it was intended to run on. In the most severe of cases, the game will literally not start at all and just give you a black screen like with Tetris Ultimate and Hyperdemention Neptunia Rebirth 1. I suppose the point of view is that it's not fair to the devs who worked hard to make Vita games, then have the games literally not work on newer models of Vitas such as the Vita-TV.

I think the most you can reasonably do without hacking your PS-TV to boot/load 99% of Vita games, is email the publisher of the game you want whitelisted and have your voice heard.
    Way Forward, the developer of the Shantae games, recently released Shantae: Half Genie Hero on the Vita without PS-TV compatibility. Well I really really wanted to be able to play this on my PS-TV. Honestly I had no interest in playing this particular title on a handheld so I went to the developer's forums, created a new thread there and in my own words explained to the devs why it was so personally important to me for them to whitelist Shantae 4. I also made a thread here encouraging anyone who gave a shit about Shantae working on PS-TV to please make a post on their forums to have their voice heard too. Well, low and behold less than a month after I made that thread, Way Forward announced a patch to add PS-TV compatibility into Shantae 4. I strongly believe it was because of my extra initiative and effort that Shantae ever got whitelisted. Way Forward also had lots of misconceptions about the simplicity of having a game work on Vita TV that isn't a touchscreen game. In over 90% of cases the game will just work as-is on the Vita-TV hardware if the developer simply cares enough to ask Sony to whitelist the game and pay the certification fee. Additionally a few publishers such as Bandai Namco intentionally don't whitelist their Vita games when the game is also available on the PS3 or PS4 since the PS3 and PS4 versions almost always cost more so they would rather have you buy the more expensive version of the game (and cheaper for them to produce!), or even better yet to double dip and buy both versions for the privilege of playing it anywhere.

Interesting Vita TV factoid: When the Vita-TV was originally released in it's homeland of Japan it had absolutely no whitelist blocker component. The Vita TV's whitelist was actually patched in with Vita-TV/PS-TV firmware version 3.0. This means if you import an older Japanese Vita-TV that has never had it's firmware updated past ver. 3.0 that it will gladly attempt to play any Vita games for you.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  4. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

DS Lite has a Slot 2 (GBA slot), the DSi didn't have that and that came after the DS Lite.

What I'm mostly suprised about is that certain games work on PS TV but only from certain regions, if not mistaken that was the case with Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus not working on PS TV in NA and EU, but the Japanese one does work on it, same with YS Memories of Celceta where the EU copy doesn't work on PS TV.

That part never made any sense to me, it's the SAME game but in different region.

zodaex likes this.
  5. zodaex

Doh, meant to say DSi. Thanks for correcting that. :p

6. Kyle

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    Shinovi Versus works in NA, and so does Ys. I've played both on my PSTV without messing with any homebrew crap. I know Ys doesn't work in EU, but IIRC Shinovi Versus works in EU as I played against EU people online who I know only have a PSTV (and wouldn't know to hack it).

Just clarifying.

PS; Regional differences are usually up to publisher laziness, or licensing.

zodaex likes this.
  7. Vita_Girl

That happens to often on all platforms in my opinion.

Hmm but that's strange then, he had a SK:SV copy from japan and it does work on his PSTV, when it came to EU he got that one (digitally) and it didn't work, we even tried my NA copy and that too failed.

Maybe a bug on his PSTV? Would be strange, all the other PSTV compatible games do work on it.

(will send him a mail tomorrow, maybe a hard reset would help if he is still interested to play that game after almost 2 years)

8. zodaex

Are you sure he has refreshed the live area in order to download the latest version of the whitelist? Simply updating your firmware alone does not update the whitelist.

9. Vita_Girl

He does that after every update.

Edit:

Found a video where someone play SK;SV on a PSTV.

10. Kyle

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    IIRC you need to do it every time you cold boot your PSTV.

11. zodaex

Only on Lone Survivor.

12. DankZaku

DankZaku Well-Known Member

Yeah I definitely played Shinobi Versus on my PSTV with no issues. Ys didn't work at first but there was an update that fixed it.

13. lesdennis

lesdennis Well-Known Member

my European version of Shinovi Versus definately works on PSTV, played it to completion

my Euro YS doesn't work on PSTV but my US version does, there is no european update for YS to work

14. zodaex

Then it must be a case of the digital European version of Senran not being whitelisted.

15. Roscoe Jones

Roscoe Jones PSN ID: Roscoe369 Friend Me!

WELL said thanks a million for this stupendous reply friend!!!! Insightful indeed!! :):):):)

16. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

Gotta say that's not completly true, specially regarding WayForfoward. Shantae was promised a Vita TV compatibility back when the Kickstarter launched, then when the game came out Sony had already discontinued the product so WayForward tried to avoid the effort of making the game playable. In the end it seems like they were pressured no only by fans, but also by what they had promised in the past. I mean, I didn't buy it because of it but will eventually do since they patched the game.

Also Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1 requires nothing special and will work perfectly if you do the database hack to bypass the whitelist (I've done it myself and played the game for a bit). Which in fact makes most games compatible unless they need the motion controls or camera.
    Will not work : Tearaway.
    Will work: Gravity Rush (even with the lack of motion control to refine your accuracy), Uncharted (But it's not 100% playable because of motion controls and will requiere you to change to a normal Vita to beat chapter 2 and 12, also the touch controls require a DS4 or it'll be hard as hell to do the screen swipes. I think you also needed a microphone but I don't remember now)

17. zodaex

What isn't true about what I said of Shantae? First Way Forward announced that it would support PSTV. Then they announced that they changed their mind about it and WayForward "cancelled the PS-TV port of Shantae" (Their own words) After announcing it's cancellation I made a thread on Way Forward's forums and recruited others from around the web to join in on the thread and have their voices heard. Then shortly after that happened Way Forward announced they changed their minds and announced that they were patching in PS-TV support. My timeline of these events is correct I promise you.

http://cliqist.com/2016/09/09/shantae-half-genie-hero-gets-delayed-waves-goodbye-ps3-xbox-360/

18. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

You didn't mention the fact that PSTV support was something promised in their Kickstarter years ago. WayForward dropping support after having people pay for it was all but a respectable decision. Having people beg for it to come back was not supposed to happen with that game and pretty much dirtied WayForward's reputation as they had already been labeled as liars. I mean, how can I be sure they won't do something similar in their next kickstarter? I'm not planning to give my money to this kind of people.
    And that's without taking into account the countless delays.

PD: Yes, I got really mad with their unreasonable decision back in september/october.

19. zodaex

Sure I didn't clearly mention that fact but at the same time I didn't say anything to contradict it either. I said that it was my belief that having my voice heard by Way Forward helped to get the game whitelisted. Not that it factually did, but just that I personally hold that belief. :)

20. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mean I wasn't trying to go at you or anything it's just that WayForward has done so many things so wrong with that game...
    Like the cancelled PS3 and 360 version two weeks before release...

zodaex likes this.
  21. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

Thereis no EU physical release os SV iirc. If there is, I will save everything I will get coming months to buy an overpriced copy off of ebay... maybe.

On-topic: in a sense, when a game is whitelisted, it is a guarantee from the publisher that the game is fully playable without a touch screen, motion control etc.

Sony standardly blacklisting games unless the publisher wishes otherwise is a safety measure. If they'd make it playable by default, you'd run the risk of people buying PSTV's to play supposedly playable games, that won't work properly. By choosing blacklisting as a default, they lose that risk. What they lose instead, is the availability of a lot of software for a particular system, that they otherwise could have sold. From their perspective though: the availability of a lot of software for a particular system, that they honestly don't really care about.

22. Vita_Girl

Nedgame had a used complete copy of SV last week for €49,99.

(still way cheaper than eBay)

23. TheAtom

Thanks!

I can only find Estival Versus and Burst online though... Am I missing something?

24. Vita_Girl

It seems it's gone.

25. TheAtom

The dilemma of liking the post because of the recommendation or not because well... I don't like it... :(

Thanks anyway!