Pushing the Limits - Which games make the best use of the Vita Technology?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Adam Anouer, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Adam Anouer

Adam Anouer Well-Known Member

Hey Chaps we all know the Playstation Vita is breath taking with it's graphical output and when you consider the CPU and GPU constraints that were put in for the sake of maintaining battery life developers really have had a task coding and putting certain games out for the system but when they do it right boy do they do it right. I'm going to point out one of my favourites but if you guys want to share yours please by all means do. I want to consider this an appreciation thread for the games that did it absolutely right.

The one I'm going to mention is...

Metal Gear Solid HD collection because these 2 ports aren't so much a lesson in pushing the hardware to it's limits as opposed to how a game should optimised for a system to get the best performance. The compromise both games make for a very consistent performance is running at a sub-native resolution and with no anti-aliasing. I may be mistaken but I do believe both games run at a higher resolution than the PS2 original (please do correct me if I'm wrong). Both games run with an adaptive V-Sync engaged which for the majority of the game keeps that frame-rate locked at a stable 30 FPS however in smaller rooms mostly in MGS2 it even goes up to that gorgeous 60 FPS cap.

Metal Gear Solid 2 was one of the most gorgeous games on PS2 and on Vita it's just as breath taking and let me just say that frame rate during game-play is LOCKED, it does dip during cutscenes and specifically during the last 2 boss fights but to maintain such strong performance for me was really impressive.

Metal Gear Solid 3 is the more demanding of the 2 games and frame rate dips are more common during game-play (boss fights in particular similar to the original game) but once again the V-Sync does it's damn job very well.

These for me are a perfect example of great optimisation and had Jak Trilogy made the same kind of compromise I wouldn't have minded at all playing at a sub-native res. If you can get your hands on these games I highly recommend it because I believe the HD collection is actually really cheap on Vita.

2. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

Such a shame about lack of PS-TV compatibility for the Metal Gear Solid HD collection. It surely would have been my first Vita game if Konami had bothered to retroactively whitelist it.

3. Adam Anouer

Oh bless you Zodaex that is a damn shame. I didn't know it wasn't on PS-TV. I suppose Konami did that because of the PS3 version. Fortunately Final Fantasy X & X2 are =) And I'm glad to say in terms of HD collections it's probably those 2 that hold the highest standard of the bunch. However if I'm going to give credit to one genre for doing it best it has to be the Vita's beat-em ups Street Fighter X Tekken, Injustice Gods Among Us, Playstation All Stars and perhaps the most impressive of all (And PSTV compatible) Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 all of which make the compromise of some "slightly" lower res textures and animation effects to put in an extremely strong performance almost all of which stick to the highest possible frame rate and I think at the very least for ports the beat-em-ups are where the vita has absolutely excelled. I will start looking at native titles but as far as I'm concerned

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
    Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3
    Street Fighter X Tekken
    Injustice Gods Among Us
    Final Fantasy X & X-2 (Which is actually upscaled to match the Vita's native resolution but I didn't personally find burring to be an issue with this game)
    Playstation All-Stars

All these games absolutely excel in performance and optimisation but there are a lot more games out there and I'll keep digging.

zodaex likes this.
  4. zodaex

I feel like Futuridium deserves special mention as a Vita game with impeccably great programming. It's the only handheld game that I know of that features low/medium/high graphic presets, letting the user choose to have maximum eye candy, or a rock solid 60 FPS framerate. Sometimes I curse at the fact that GTAV on PS3 won't let me turn off the shadows, because they look like poo anyways and the performance gain would be so worth it for me.

Other Vita games with top quality programming/optimization that come to mind are Skullgirls, Dead or Alive 5+, Soldner X2 and the two Blazblue games.

Zero Eternity and Adam Anouer like this.
  5. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

And do not forget these too

Virtua Tennis 4 (60fps)
    Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
    Dragon's Crown

and personally Axiom Verge, that one runs a lot of times also at 60fps.

:)

Zero Eternity and Adam Anouer like this.
  6. Adam Anouer

Absolutely. Mixed Bag did an amazing job with Futuridium and considering this is a game that was also ported to the Playstation 4 and retains nearly all it's features is absolutely breath taking. Futuridium stands as an amazing example of just what the Vita can truly do.

Virtua Tennis 4 :) I completely agree with you Vita_Girl it really is an underrated technical achievement that the game not only runs at the full frame rate but keeps nearly all of it's graphical assets and settings in tact which is something that is so easy to appreciate now when you look back on the Vita library.

Odin Sphere, Dragon's Crown and while we're at it Muramasa Rebirth are also stunning games that really prove that VanillaWare really know how to take use of the native hardware to make something not just beautiful but fun to play and I can't underestimate the fact Dragon's Crown often has a crap ton of flashy effects going on screen at any given time and Axiom Verge is another great example as well.

Zero Eternity likes this.
  7. Adam Anouer

That said I'd be a massive fool if I didn't point out the 2 first party games for the system that really show just how incredible the vita is...

The first of course is Killzone Mercenary and damn what can I say about this game that hasn't already been said? advanced Anti-Aliasing techniques, stunning texture rendering and all at the Vita's native 950 x 544 what else can I say besides Killzone Mercenaries is THE complete package. To back in such advanced techniques and still maintain such a strong performance geurilla cambridge really created something incredible with Killzone.

Another superb game is Wipeout 2048 and besides Killzone Mercenary this one I'd argue is one of the most graphically ambitious and well programmed games for the Vita. Sporting the exact same shader and lighting system as it's PS3 counterpart the game sacrifices absolutely nothing to bring some of the best visuals on Vita. The primary aim for SCE Liverpool was always 30 FPS and for a game with fantastic 4xMSAA the performance is breath taking.

It'd be extremely unfair if I didn't mention Lego Marvel Avengers which pretty much ticks every single box you could possibly want in a game like this. The game has a huge open world with a huge number of particle effects going on at any given time and yet in-spite this I didn't once see it's frame-rate buckle and all the more remarkable unless I'm mistaken it too runs at full native res. An unsung hero of the system and an absolute blast to play.

Last but not least isn't so much a game but a company... Tecmo Koei and while you could make the argument that on home console they use pretty ancient hardware the fact remains that their Vita ports specifically Samurai Warriors 4-2, Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate and Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends are all completely in tact and for the most part play very well compared to their PS3 counter parts (which to remind these games aim for 60 FPS) and generally are a joy to play.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  8. Amos67

Amos67 Well-Known Member

+1 for killzone and wipeout, they look as good or better than ps3 because it's on a small screen. Wipeout is always smooth but i think killzone has some slow down in the framerate.

+1 to ultimate marvel vs capcom that game look freaking amazing, so beautiful. It's one of my gems in the collection atm :)

I also thought that senran kagura ran really smoothly and had nice big arena with good looking stuff all round... and the menu games cough cough are smexy smooth and 60fps bouncy

9. zodaex

Are you sure about the Senran Dressing Rooms being 60 FPS? It sure doesn't look like 60 FPS jiggle to me and I have compared it against the pc version. (Sad I know :p )

10. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

Nope the game is 30fps everywhere also in the dressing room.

Estival Versus has good performance, but indeed Shinovi Versus has a very smooth 30fps all the time, I guess the better details and shadows in EV were too much of the good for the Vita sometimes.

@AdamAnouer, Dynasty and Samurai Warriors run at max 30fps on the Vita, also Killzone Mercenary doesn't use any AA at all (still a very smooth performance for such graphics).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Adam Anouer and zodaex like this.
  11. Dee0342

Dee0342 Well-Known Member

I haven't played a whole lot of 3D games on the vita yet but I found Everybody's Golf a very impressive game ( especially since it was a launch game ). It really showed how much the Vita was ahead of the 3DS.

Adam Anouer likes this.
  12. VitaBoy

VitaBoy Active Member

Freedom Wars, Toukiden, Band of The Hawk.

13. Kenza

Kenza Active Member

I didn't see anyone mention Need for Speed...I haven't played it yet, but have seen really good reviews of it and i'm kinda' old so if it stays a consistent 30 fps i can't tell a diff. from 30 or 60.

14. Adam Anouer

Oh yeah Need For Speed Underground :) Well Kenza there's a reason it's the best selling game on the Vita it's a fantastic port of it's PS3 counterpart and considering just how much content Need for Speed Underground actually has that's a remarkable achievement. The quality of surface textures is a little dialled down but the cars themselves look incredible. It's an awesome game.

I was going to say the same for Ridge Racer before I learned the game only has 3 tracks... embarassing.

Kenza likes this.
  15. Pata

Pata Well-Known Member

It's not Underground, it's Most Wanted ;)

Wish Most Wanted had the tuning component that Underground 2 had, though.

Adam Anouer likes this.
  16. Adam Anouer

Oh right! Sorry my bad. Still impressive and it says a lot about the NFS community they enjoyed Criterion's take on an NFS game considering they created the Burnout series. That said I can't say I remember Underground 2 though didn't it have a PSP port?

17. Retro8bit

Retro8bit Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    Retro-8-bit
    My pick goes to Toukiden 2. That game looks absolutely beautiful on Vita.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Kenza likes this.
  18. Kenza

Kenza Active Member

I can't wait to get Toukiden 2, i'm keeping my eye out for it!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017