Quietly cancelling the Vita version and then announcing a PS4 game: Weirdbeard

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by Pata, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Pata

Pata Well-Known Member

If you have read my latest profile post, then you'll know what I'm talking about.

WeirdBeard Games announced today Tricky Towers, a tetromino-based multiplayer-puzzle game, for PS4. Until here just a normal game announcement for PS4, isn't it?

Let's refresh our memories a bit now, August last year that very same team announced that it was bringing 99Brick Wizard Academy, a tetromino-based puzzle game, to Vita on the EU Blog (link to TVL's news post). Time passed and no updates were being given on the status (or at least not publicly) of the port. That is, until the 21th of July, when someone asked on twitter about the status of the 99Bricks for Vita and here's what the dev responded:
    626382871993970690 is not a valid tweet id

Oh a game cancellation for Vita, that's not good :(

Until here everything's normal: games get cancelled every now and then. But suddenly, almost 3 months later, the very same dev announces a game based on the same formula but for PS4. Quietly cancelling the Vita version and announcing a similar game for PS4? Any reasons? More money 'cause of PS4? No explanation given for the cancellation but hey, let's announce the PS4 version like if nothing happened. A reason would be fine, thanks

You'll be thinking: he cared too much about the game and he's ranting because he won't get the game for Vita, but that's not exactly true, I was looking forward to the title but nothing more. "So, why you rant then?" you'll think and it's because of PR-ish announcements like this:
    We think we’ve met this challenge head on and are going to deliver an experience that’s right at home on PS Vita. We’re hard at work improving the UI, tweaking the gameplay where necessary and giving the game some extra polish, to bring you a version worthy of the Vita platform. (taken from the 99Bricks EU Blog post announcement)

Needless to say, I won't be getting the game on PS4.

/rant mode off

EDIT: Fixed some grammatical mistakes
    EDIT 2: To clarify, "3 months later" is referring to the announcement in the Blog (I know the tweet already said PS4)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    Kyle likes this.
  2. Billybobbean

Billybobbean Well-Known Member

I get the impression these devs are announcing their projects far too early in the development cycle and promising to deliver something they can't. They clearly aren't doing the research, saying they can/will do something and then trying to just slink away when they realise they aren't capable.

No doubt developing for the Vita will have challenges the PS4 doesn't, but my guess is they just didn't prepare properly and in the end jump ship to PS4 where they can develop easier.

3. Pata

Pata Well-Known Member

You sure? I'm reading the EU Blog post announcement right now and it does make it sound they were prepared to overcome the challenges the port may have presented, not to mention it does sound like they were "fairly" advanced on the port development. Weirder things have happened but I think these guys were definitely prepared.

EDIT: Here's the link to the original announcement:
    http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/08/15/99-bricks-wizard-academy-coming-soon-ps-vita/

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  4. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

lol shameless
    even worse when you consider shahid was shilling this game on twitter

5. Miguel

Miguel Well-Known Member

Hum... Yeah... Maybe the spyke of Sales of the ps4 caught there eyes but for me it contínues to be a weird decision because if you allready spent money and time on a project why destroy everything? Shoulnt they try tobget at least some return? At the end of the day its all business and its all about the money.

Oh well... At least i m still comited to make my vita game, i just need time to make the first prototype :( damm you work! Give me more free time!

Pata likes this.
  6. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Meh, we don't need it anyway.

7. Goro

Goro Well-Known Member

I think we should start expecting things like this tbh. Let's just hope it happens with few actually interesting games. "Funny" how formerly Mr Vita, Shahid, was hyping this like crazy on Twitter and then we get an "oh btw, we announced practically the same game for the Vita a year ago but that one has been cancelled".

Pata and SONY like this.
  8. Conor McKenna

Conor McKenna Member

I guess it also depends on where your priorities are. If you're developing with the sole intent of getting something out as soon as possible on the platform with most likely the highest return on investment, of course you're going to go with that option and ignore the others. I don't think it's a very good image though, and is a big let down whenever a game is cancelled for any platform. If you say it, you better try your hardest to come through for it, if even only as a gesture of good will to those you promised the game to before.

Don't make a promise you don't intend to keep, with games or otherwise.

/rant

9. Karl Smith

Karl Smith #supersmith2500

PSN ID:
    supersmith2500
    Well there you have it. Another Vita game canned. :(

10. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

That's only 2 so far, as far as I know.

11. Karl Smith

Karl Smith #supersmith2500

PSN ID:
    supersmith2500
    More than 2 actually:

- Broforce
    - Unmechanical
    - Nom Nom Galaxy
    - 99 Bricks
    - Galak-Z

That's 5 games so far skipping Vita.

12. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

I stand corrected then. Apologies.
    But still...5 isn't very many though?

13. NiccalsNefarious

NiccalsNefarious Active Member

Unmechanical might still be alive.

Probably there's more to that list, though.

SONY likes this.
  14. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

That's good news then.

15. gamezalv

gamezalv Well-Known Member

Wait Broforce is cancelled for the vita? Damn :(
    I don't get it, if sony won't support the vita at least can't they make/help indie devs to bring their games to the vita? I mean it's quite pointless to play these sort of games on the ps4. I'd rather play games like mgsV on the ps4 and these indies on the vita.

16. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

They have to put all their concentration on their big money maker...

[​IMG]

17. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

Now that's a post I'd expect from Sony.

SONY likes this.
  18. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member