Realistic Wishes for Vita Successor

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by 3VOLVE, Jul 15, 2017.

1. 3VOLVE

3VOLVE Well-Known Member

Honestly, I've been playing my Vita. Love the UI, Love my available games but recently Sony has been facing legal action for false advertising on the Vita. Should I sue them? No, cause I'm not that immature, I'm not going to take advantage of a company that has been my gaming history since PS1 launched in america, believe it or not born the same year.

So the Vita successor is very very very small chance. Gotta be honest too, PSVR which isn't really much to brag about and it would overshadow Vita. Not by much but it would hurt the Successor's attention. The more available hands we have for a new iteration a better so I'd say before they work on another one do some spring cleaning this fall.

Now about the successor, I doubt a Vita successor would come even if it did there would be things implemented that I wouldn't want before we get to my realistic wishes lemme go over what:

- PlayStation Ecosystem Intergration
    I think its better they treat it like a standalone device but I can't see Sony doing that.
    - Pay to Play Online
    Honestly I understand servers and how businesses work but with a handheld I prefer not to pay for online, seeing as how its an on-the-go experience. And thinking how much they lost in that deal with AT&T for a 3G model I could definitely see it.

Despite the flaws that could be. I love my Vita, always will.
    So don't be surprised if I keep hope alive for a successor, because I would want one and day one purchase I'd buy one so lemme go over the realistic features I'd want for a PSP3/Vita Successor.

• UNIVERSAL BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY
    CORE FEATURE: Day One Feature for Launch Hype
    Now I know Sony isn't heavy on backwards compatibility but the underwhelming PlayStation Now service could teach them a lesson, I hope they just aren't blinded like in the PS2 days, get cocky and say 599$. But imagine it, Sony unveils the PSP3/NGP (yeah I remember those NGP days) and they show off a device that has access to emulate every platform that currently has stopped production. Launching with thousands of games by being fully compatible with a digital library for: PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3 and PSVita.
    [​IMG]
    It would be nothing short of mind-blowing. PS4 is too demanding to replicate and I honestly think people would be more than satisfied with the library of all the old-gen platforms from Sony.
    Also physically compatible with Vita.

• CONSOLE LIKE AESTHETIC
    So this one is a bit tricky. I want them to remove the back-touch panel but maintain the touch screen, but then certain Vita games wouldn't be backwards compatible. I'm fine with that to be honest. I'd want an L2/R2, L3/R3, Keep the awesome Vita D-pad, Bigger buttons obviously.
    [​IMG]
    • REMOVABLE FACEPLATES
    CORE COMPONENT: Within the first iteration / PSP3 Phat
    I would love a customization element better than the Switch has by buying joycons. Allow us to simply snap off the faceplate and replace it with another one with ease. Adding customization and allowing PlayStation to sell faceplates and potential cool game bundles with a faceplate.
    [​IMG]
    • WIRELESS/WIRED HDMI OUTPUT
    CORE FEATURE: Day one Feature
    Dunno if you guys keep up with technology like me but Wireless HDMI is an option and I think using your PSP3 as a controller in front of your TV for around 20 feet is really sweet. I'd love an option to use the PSP3 like a Switch and dock it but I'd prefer the ability to use Wireless HDMI I think that's a huge win.
    The PSP had an output, don't forget it this time around.
    [​IMG]
    • PROPRIETARY ADAPTERS
    PACKAGING: Comes with 3x Adapters
    Let's be honest proprietary mem cards weren't the "ABSOLUTE" worst, they did prevent hacking which hurt the PSP vitally. So once again as a guy into technology and new tech, they could implement proprietary adapters, buy an SD card put it in the Sony mem card adapter. Adapter formats and puts an extra layer of security on the mem card and boom. Better than the Vita.
    [​IMG]

• PS3/PS4 CONTROLLERS/ACCS COMPATIBILITY
    One of the things I hoped for with the Vita was that it was compatible with controllers and accessories. Well no better time than now with better bluetooth implementation. Allow all headsets and controllers to be compatible with the device via bluetooth.

• OPTIMAL AND SIMPLIFIED ARCHITECTURE
    As a guy who tries his very best to understand the market and who's into game development. One of the best feature with the PS4 was the fact it was easy for devs to use. Make it simple, way more simple than the Vita + PS4 and have devs looking into the very cost effective development on the new platform.
    This is extremely important, because I think Sony needs to push this, bring their dev kit to devs and show them how easy it is to develop in comparison to past hardware.

Using this I would love to see ports of PS4 titles but less demanding of course and ports of Vita titles and the possibility of sequel to games like Freedom Wars and a port of stuff like Monster Hunter World. I would love that game on the go.

• BETTER MARKETING
    We won't go into detail cause I've beat the dead horse, set the corpse on fire, and in the morning shoveled the ashes into a blender, set the blender in body bag and shot sed bag into the air and hit it with a missile. We know they messed this up. So first off the reason SONY if facing legal action is because they went into the realm of false advertising for their 3G model...which let's not go over that again.
    Sony also said console quality titles but it was a bit early because of hardware limitations, but if they work with AMD which is more cost effective than other brands I think their hardware could turn some heads.

Overall, push the Vita and treat it like you care. The PS3 didn't succeed by you jumping off ship, the PS3 is a true underdog story. Show that passion again with the PSP3 as your new chance and I think it will be even better than the PS4. 200%.

Sorry for all the text. Your thoughts?
    (If this doesn't happen I'll just wait for a PC handheld of some sort. Support and buy that instead. :p Least I won't have to pay for online.)

2. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

Micro SD card
    Same Vita cartridges but not limited to 4GB. This could make it backwards compatible
    PSX, PSP, PS Vita compatible
    No touch gimmicks
    No expensive screen. This hurts the price and it hurt Sony in the long run.
    Vita + Vita TV combo. Do what Sega Nomad, PSP 2000 and others did and do it right. No useless "mistery port" anymore.
    Marketing

3VOLVE likes this.
  3. vita_lover

vita_lover Well-Known Member

I would love this system - I would add the option to play on a TV too.

4. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

In my opinion a good screen is a must and good screens are more expensive than cheap ones, I don't want another "GameGear" like screen, I want to enjoy my games in the fullest possible and good image quality is a must then.

Btw when the Vita launched OLED screens were expensive but nowdays they are dirt cheap.

And that mystery port was for video output like on the PSP but Sony never activated it on the OLED model, some people say that they didn't do that because of the PS TV plans.

3VOLVE likes this.
  5. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

Yes to both things.
    Back in 2012 OLED was expensive, so what I mean is if they want a decent quality screen they shouldn't go for the most expensive thing out there, I'm sure there are cheaper and nice alternatives, like OLED nowadays.

About "mystery port" that's why the should do it right this time around. I'm pretty sure most of us have seen the Vita 1000 mods online as before the Vita TV came out it was what was used to make gameplay videos.

6. Vita_Girl

True and luckly most current screen technologies are way cheaper now.

Still it is sad nobody got that port working, even the build-in capture cards use own mini USB port.

(vita doesn't have a mini USB port, they place one when installing a capture card in a vita)

But then I wonder if the current technology used in Vita's capture card is better than what that "mystery port" could do/output.

7. Ryan

Ryan Member

Would be a shame that games like Tearaway couldn't be played the same as originally on the Vita in a successor, but seriously, the back touch screen should be put behind us.

Removeable faceplates... Not sure I'm game for this. I get the idea, but Sony and Nintendo make tons of money selling different color systems to treat peoples desire for change. I could see engineering the system so that the faceplate was very easy to take off and not result in voiding warrenty, or exposing much of the inner components if they so chose. But, unlikely.

I LOVE the OLED screen. I really do. If it is within reason financially, I say do it, BUT...
    Do it as a SECOND version of the system. First, release a base model. Middle line components, great functionality and quality with smart design. Then later, if all goes well (meaning great sales and titles from Devs, unlike the Vita release), bring out the PS Vita Successor Pro. WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM! OLED, faster processor and such. Maybe here have the engineered swappable faceplates that don't void warranties or something.

I think keeping the PS3/PS3/PS5 steaming to the device is an awesome function and should be kept.
    No stupid mem card issues. Goes without saying.

As for a portable that has Complete backwards compatibility, sure it is doable, but is it worth it? How much resources would it cost them to invest in this for the portable. I should think the focus would be on new games, not old ones. I understand love for the old ones, believe me, but I cannot see them doing complete backwards compatibility anytime soon, especially on a portable. They had issues just bringing the PS1 library to the Vita. Imagine doing this for PS1, PS2 (which had Thousands of games), PS3... I don't see this happening.

As for the HDMI for TV, I think this is an interesting one. With the Switch currently all the rave, I suspect everyone is wondering what MS and Sony's next responses will be, or lack thereof. I would love to be able to "dock" with the television. I wonder how challenging it would be to do with changing resolutions and such. But I think this is a good idea.
    One thing to keep in mind though. One KEY feature of the Switch's duo-portable/console functionality is its ability to be a multiplayer machine. The Vita and PSP were only meant for one person. Nintendo is trying to make their system as social as possible. Sony doesn't quite have that conception of gaming. At least, not at the level Nintendo intends.

Can't disagree with simplified architecture.

8. Vita_Girl

No OLED or faster cpu afterwards, it should have it from the start.

New 3ds and DSi proved that bringing out a more powerful upgrade doesn't make any sense at all, I prefer to pay €200/€250 for a good handheld from the start rather than buying a inferior one in the begin and upgrade to the "better" one later.

That "better" one would probably even fail in some regard because devs would prefer to support the first weaker one and the "better" revision would not have any benefit at all.

You would in fact screw over the day 1 buyers with a "better" revision (more powerful) afterwards.

It should be powerful enough to start with and that with a good OLED or IPS screen.

3VOLVE likes this.
  9. 3VOLVE

3VOLVE Well-Known Member

Its very do-able to make a handheld that's backwards compatible with PS2 and PS3. PSvita already was compatible with PSP and PSOne. Nintendo even has their ways of emulating other systems. And what you basically said about old games is definitely a thing that could benefit all gamers.
    Much like the Wii U, people bought a Switch and didn't get to play Wii U's great games a way around that would be to allow people to play Vita games on the PSP3 and that would tie into them selling more older games. I'm not sure why you think we can't have old and new games, maybe some type of fear.
    But I'm certainly not asking for something out of the realm of impossible with PS2 and PS3 compatibility.

I would prefer the PSP3 to be dockless is what I mean. Using a wireless HDMI adapter would put them in a position to set the PSP3 down and use a controller or use the PSP3 as a controller while it uses that wireless HDMI.

And I have to disagree with everyone here about the OLED screen. OLED screens burn in because of intense contrast on an organic display. It doesn't last as long and OLED Burn-In is a technical problem. More long-term but I'd rather them just give me a 1080 or 720p display that looks sharp and gets the job done. I'd say around 6"- 6.5".

I'd be fine with them not doing removable faceplates but even PS4 has removable faceplates, yet they sell other colors of this console still? So. I think that argument is a bit invalid. Just gives the consumers more options without needing to produce unnecessary versions if anything.

PlayStation Now has been failing and is even worse now that Xbox has full backwards compatibility and even Nintendo is working on backwards compatibility with their Virtual Console. I have to say PlayStation Now is not as good no matter what you tell yourself: Lag/Latency, Poor Video Quality, Subscription Service (Like we need more of these) and the fact you need Internet to play your old games. Definitely not the better option, definitely the weaker option.

zodaex and Vita_Girl like this.
  10. Ghost of Arcadia

Ghost of Arcadia Active Member

First thing Sony has to do is treat the Vita successor as equally as their consoles and they should market it, advertise it, hype it up. Nintendo did a great job with the Switch and was even introduced on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. Get some buzz and get people excited and go mainstream,. Sony's handheld division should get the same treatment as their console division by supporting it. Sony's weakness has always been their resources as in console first and nothing else. PS2's HDD expansion addon, Vita, PS Move, etc. weren't handled well due to them giving up too early when it doesn't work out.

It would be nice to see a Vita successor's screen and built quality similar to the Samsung Galaxy S8. People are raving about that screen and the dust resistant. Of course the OLED screen is an issue with longetivity as 3VOLVE mentioned. I didn't get the Vita in 2012 because of the expensive proprietary memory cards despite me wanting one. That really hurt the Vita. Backwards compatibility is important. I still play PSone and PSP games on the Vita. As crazy as it may sound, I got the Vita because of the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection as that was my first purchase. It was a nice excuse to buy a Vita plus other PS2 collections like Sly Cooper and God of War. Those were some of my favorite franchise on the PS2 but now in the palm of my hand.

It would also be nice to have more non gaming apps on the PS Store for a Vita successor. It doesn't need as many as Android or IOS since there's many crappy apps on it but have useful ones. It's sad the Vita has very few like Crunchyroll and stuff like the Skype and Youtube app was removed. I wish there was a way to scrobble music to Last.FM on the Vita and keep track of what I listen to instead of using Universal scrobbler manually.

A Vita successor is a big challenge if Sony decides to make one due to their handheld market reputation in the west but it's a nice wishful thinking. But as the old saying goes, "Never say never'.

3VOLVE likes this.
  11. 3VOLVE

3VOLVE Well-Known Member

That's some hard to believe stuff. PS4 = PSP3? Yeah Sony isn't that ballsy, I think only Nintendo is but letting this stop them would be a huge mistake. Shake up the market and bring some bigger guns this time around. Don't depend on gimmicks like underwhelming 3G models or a back touch panel. If they treat the PSP3 like they did with the PS4 and focus on the games and developers they will have a dangerous competitor.

But I sadly have to say Sony is too scared but to my point once again Backwards Compatibility does matter. Tons of companies milk the "nostalgia" cow harder than any other platform in the field because it makes money. So tell people to revisit their old games is a genius play. If I could play Phantasy Star, Timesplitters and Lost Planet 2 on my handheld device it would blow my mind. Same as saying Jax and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Rachet and Clank, Little Big Planet.

The idea people say backwards compatibility is useless is just a blind out of touch opinion. Backwards compatibility allows people to play more games without the company investing money in each individual project. Which is why I was so hung up on saying at launch be compatible with everything but PS4 digitally and PSP3 is going to be a deadly assailant. Overall I very much agree with what you are saying but I wish Sony had bigger balls. The fact they let worry and fear put them into a corner and let them make proprietary memory cards as well as prioritize the PS3/PS4 over the Vita lead to its downfall.

So many shared titles and there's even a Vita TV which essentially makes the portable useless.

Edit: I just have to say there wasn't one wrong move that put the Vita in this position it was many that put it in the position its in.

12. Lando452

Lando452 Member

No touch
    OLED Screen
    extra shoulder buttons
    Keep Remote Play
    Micro SD card