Retro Collecting Thread

Discussion in 'Other Gaming Discussion' started by ninty72, Jul 13, 2018.

1. ninty72

ninty72 Well-Known Member

Always have prefered jpn releases ever since the booming import days , where you spotted a game you fancied in a videogame magazine rang them up and ordered via that or sent a cheque ( remember them lol ).

On a side note Joshprod has started shipping series 3 of his new dreamcast releases.... ordered one game Battle Crust , a shooter of course. His releases are top quality and proper pal packaging to boot to match the original releases.

DojoDan likes this.
  2. ninty72

I've mentioned this before but i collect all sorts of interesting and unusual gaming bits and pieces so here is another,

A sega saturn press pack ,

[​IMG]

Open it up and you get all this ..

[​IMG]

It includes a Fighting Vipers t shirt...a mixed pack of plasters ! , ntsc preview video which i really need to transfer to dvd one day incase it holds any unseen saturn footage. The ntsc full game and silver promo cd , several pages explaining the game and a few sneek peeks of upcoming games and a little promo poster.

I have another but thats for next time.

:)

Tweeg, Terramax, Vita_Girl and 3 others like this.
  3. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

Thanks :) The tiger stuff was really tough to track down, the LCD watch especially is insanely rare to find loose, I got so lucky when I found a sealed one.

4. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

Uuhh this thread is gunna cost me as much as this whole site has in the last 2 years!

ninty72 likes this.
  5. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Dude, you NEED to sign up to the segasaturn.co.uk forums and show the guys there of your purchase. I DEMAND you show them!

ninty72 likes this.
  6. DojoDan

Twin Hawk was the other cheaper shmup I was thinking of. Its not great but still Toaplan.

What's everyone's opinions on Empire of Steel and Bio-Hazard Battle? I had a tough time getting in to them. I haven't had time to give them much of a chance yet tho.

7. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

For a second I thought that was the Nurse Love L.E. :p

DojoDan likes this.
  8. ninty72

Arrived 2 minutes ago ....but im at work for 11am today ...no time to try ..boo

[​IMG]
    Joshprod is the number one independent publisher on the dreamcast scene at the min.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Terramax likes this.
  9. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Never even heard of this game or publisher. Just goes to show how out of the loop I am now. I was a serious die hard Dreamcast fan up until I moved to Japan in 2012. I lived and breathed that console. I feel kinda sad now that I'm no longer collecting for the machine, and I envy you for having the time and presumably the non-commitments to be able to buy stuff like this. Do let me know how good / bad this game is.

10. DojoDan

It looks right up my street. Just a shame I don't have a Dreamcast. I sold mine years ago as I din't like the controller. Now there's mods where you can use virtually any controller and I'm a bit gutted :) How much did that set you back ninty72 ? Is it limited? I love shmups like that

11. ninty72

On a quick break sooo ,

40 euros delivered which is around 35 in uk money.

No , he does a 1st print and if theres enough interest he prints another ...much easier to press cd games than a vita cart.

DojoDan likes this.
  12. ninty72

I just work hard , do the overtime even on days i don't want to, dont drink or smoke. Whatevers left after paying for me house , bills , food etc goes on gaming.

13. ninty72

So this is what it's inside when you have opened the game ( yes i open mine , shock horror i know ! )

[​IMG]

So after booting this up and having a play for a couple of hours , i will say , i'm glad i bought it.

Mini review

First thing you notice is if you love the 8/16 bit era of shooters you're going to like this.

Quite a few options , easy , arcade and hard , credits you can max to 9 and you can tate it to full screen. If you dont want to tate your 50 inch screen ( i just use a 32) you have a few choices of borders to choose from where it squishes the playing field to the middle of your screen.

There's a mini intro just like the arcades of old, showing the top scores over the rolling first level.

Upon hitting start , you are given the choice of a charged shot , normal , blast or Mega Charge ! ( which one did i pick first ;) )

You use the charge shot just like r type or just keep it charged which destroys the oncoming bullets , which you are going to use, especially in level 3 against the battle cruisers spewing bullets from all angles it just gives it a little dimension in gameplay.

Music is by the guy who did the thunderforce games on the megadrive which gets an automatic plus from me. Sound effects are the usual bings and bangs that do the job.

Collision detection is not a problem , your ship has only one speed , but it's fast enough for most situations but you will wish for a little speed up here and there.

You pick up orbs along the way which change your normal shot, with one giving you a handy homing side shot or spread shot.

As a port of a pc game ( you can find it on steam for 3 quid ish i'm told)

There's no porting problems so far that I've encountered, no flicker or slowdown.

As a die hard dc gamer the only thing i would say so far is the price is a little high , I paid 35 delivered , if it was 25 i would give it an 8 but id take a point off and say its a 7 out of 10 from me.

:)

Vita_Girl, DojoDan and Tweeg like this.
  14. ninty72

Soooo another day another item , although i did pay for this a few months back on kickstarter , it's my perk for the 2018 Zzzap! 64 annual due soon :)

[​IMG]

Amazing ,huge , i cannot believe its running on a stock c64 ! It's signed to which is a nice touch......
    I best buy a c64 now lol hahaha.

Vita_Girl, Tweeg and DojoDan like this.
  15. Tweeg

Tweeg Active Member

Is that C64 game on diskette, cassette, or cartridge ninty72 ?

16. ninty72

Here's a pic of the contents for you...

[​IMG]
    cart it is :)

Tweeg and DojoDan like this.
  17. DojoDan

Well, it's been a while since I last bt a MD game. I bought Grandslam Tennis cib for 2.99 today. I'm a sucker for MD tennis or golf games.

ninty72 likes this.
  18. ninty72

I've got a couple more megadrive games on the way from Japan at the min, they were a bargain ish , and I'm weak. I sold a few dupes and used that money to pay for them :)

Pete Sampras tennis I recall wasn't to bad either, me and my bro used to fight over that game.

19. DojoDan

Just came across this..

http://polymega.com

Im kind of happy with my RetroFreak but it does look decent quality. The CD ability is a nice touch.

ninty72 likes this.
  20. ninty72

That's a wait and see from me , has the potential to be really good but like most clones until you see it in action you just don't know.

On a side note , just finished work and on way to pick a parcel up....picture later :)

21. DojoDan

You big tease you ;) Because I'm pretty much 95% there with my retro "wants", it's taken a back seat to spending on the Vita and PS4. Plus my general games budget is a lot less than it use to be due to other commitments.

Tweeg likes this.
  22. ninty72

One you may notice Dojo Dan as you mentioned it before the jpn ntsc version of Steel Empire has arrived.

[​IMG]

My megadrive shooter collection is coming along at the min , although I'm resisting the temptation of the Midnight Resistance kinda shooters, although I do kinda want Rolling Thunder 2. There's just to many good games out there I have to keep to the ones I really want.

DojoDan likes this.
  23. ninty72

Postman has just been ,

[​IMG]

And is it bad , I bought another one yesterday using the 15% off anything on eBay they had going....opps and people say meth is addictive !! They should try gaming ! ;) :)

DojoDan likes this.
  24. DojoDan

Awww. Stop it lol. You have no idea how much that one picture makes me want to start spending!

ninty72 likes this.
  25. ninty72

I best not tell you what megadrive shooter I bought yesterday , I saved over 40 using the 15% off as I bought an expensive one.

I now have no spare funds as my duplicate game sale fund has now errrr ummm gone. ( i sold a few dreamcast games on the bay ).