Retro Collecting Thread

Discussion in 'Other Gaming Discussion' started by ninty72, Jul 13, 2018.

1. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

;) It's easily done. Jap artwork is just miles better than ours. Here's Alien Storm, one of my favourite games from my youth.

[​IMG]

Id have died if I saw this as a kid.

zodaex likes this.
  2. DojoDan

I just got back from Loughborough. Initially went to visit an archery shop which I wasn't exactly impressed by so I went into the town centre. Charity shops everywhere. Unfortunately no games. But I did buy Astroboy and Prehistorik Man for the GBA for £2.99 each at an exchange place. I have Astroboy already so I'll pass that on (if anyone's interested) as 3 quid is a good price.

What's this expensive md game then? ;)

3. ninty72

ninty72 Well-Known Member

This bad boy .....

[​IMG]

;) :)

hence why I'm working till 10pm tonight !

4. DojoDan

Oh nice! Get back to work and then I might not feel quite so jealous :/

5. ninty72

So another week and another megadrive shooter has finally arrived ,

[​IMG]

And as you all know , I'm weak when it comes to retro gaming so errr ummm this arrived to , well you do shoot in it ! ;) well that's the excuse I'm using ,

[​IMG]

:)

DojoDan likes this.
  6. DojoDan

They look to be in great condition. I've not seen Rolling Thunder 2 but on the YouTubes it looks right up my street. Is it affordable?

7. ninty72

Yes, both in great condition , Rolling Thunder looks untouched inside to. Picked it up direct from Japan £45 and free postage and no tax ( sent as gift ;) )

I have a couple more I bought a few weeks back from the same seller on the way to, postage is slow but free and if i hope same condition as Rolling :)

DojoDan likes this.
  8. ninty72

woohoo both games bought on different weeks both turn up today , that's SAL shipping for you. :)

Two more shooters for the collection ,

[​IMG]

VV is also known as Grindstormer in the West.

Fire Mustang has some amazing parralex scrolling.

Both in great condition to boot, bought from the same seller and he included some random Japanese coffee sachets to boot, I guess to keep my reflexes in tip top condition.

DojoDan likes this.
  9. DojoDan

I think you've finally swayed me to pick a couple of these up. I have been meaning to pick up Grindstormer. I get comfortable with a couple of games and then I don't see passed them for ages. Fire Shark and Truxton have kept me happy for ages but I think I need to finally try something else. I'm well impressed with your collecting tastes heh

10. ninty72

haha, glad to have helped , get on that eBay megadrive game search but don't blame me when you run out off food in your house.

I'm just going for the shooters with a side helping of gun and run games.

N64 games , I only need 10 at the last count for a full cib set but I'm not that daft to spend 350 for a rubbish game like Hercules which I need grrrr so everything else is on the back burner apart from my megadrive and vita.

I see you popped to Loughborough the other week , you should pop to derby one day as there's a few shops that sell retro down here.

Even CEX has a frogger for the cube at 150 down here last time I was in (last week).

11. DojoDan

Yeah I might pop up one day. Maybe grab a cuppa in the town if you're free. Ive been there once when I met a mate from amibay forums he came down from barnsley I think it was. He bought my modden A1200, still miss it lol. I did go in a retro place there.

12. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

More retro (ok, maybe not in PS3's case) Capcom goodness:
    [​IMG]image by gouki16uk, on Flickr

Dynasty Wars 2 was on my list for a while, I apparently forgot to pick it up until now. I've spent all day playing through various Capcom games, looking forward to finally playing this one :)

13. Tweeg

Tweeg Well-Known Member

ninty72 likes this.
  14. DojoDan

Ouch. Not sure I could drop that much on a CD lol

15. ninty72

Maybe on a cart though ;) :)

Never got on with the Cotton games myself , I have both the previous games on my saturn , I just don't know why but neither do anything for me..I'm more a traditionalist tank ,plane, spaceship kinda guy.

And at that price they are having a laugh , though that'll be the price of vita games when we are all dead and buried. :)

16. Tweeg

Tweeg Well-Known Member

If Rainbow Cotton can shoot that high in just fifteen years, sky is the limit on Vita. Think I paid around $15 on Ebay for my copy of the game just 12 to 15 years ago.

17. DojoDan

Certainly the best investment for 10 years if you bought it at that price. I keep looking at Battle Mania: Daiginjō on the MD. I could well drop it on a cart heh.

18. ninty72

Do it,you know you want to , it'll only go up over time. ;) :)

Could you just not buy Forgotten Worlds which is similar but much much cheaper.

I'm in the process of saving for an expensive game to but while I'm trying to save to there's to many modern vita games and CE's that keep coming out.

19. DojoDan

That's what gets me really. After a few Vita / Ps4 games per month that's my budget gone. You're right Forgotten Worlds is similar isn't it. But it doesn't have the ladies you see ;) Actually I'm not sure if I might have Forgotten Worlds, or I might be confusing it with something else I picked up last year. My memory is shocking I'll have to check that out.

20. Tweeg

Tweeg Well-Known Member

I had a HDD failure back... in 2006. Lost almost three years worth of data as media I had made annual back ups to had mostly corrupted. That had me so out of everything that I literally haven't many of my personal video game collection lists since then due to the complications of having to dig games out of the two storage buildings. It's not like I don't own them anymore, but literally there's stuff stacked seven feet high in both buildings right up to the doors. It's a project for the future. Last time I updated my Sega Genesis game cart collection list was April 11th, 2003, and at that date in time I owned 148 titles for the system. Pretty sure I've got around 300 titles for the Genesis at this point, but that's me guessing.

Other system's I lost collection data on and have never yet attempted to recreate are.:
    Atari 2600
    Atari 5200
    Atari 7800
    Atari Jaguar
    Atari Lynx
    Magnavox Odyssey 2
    Nintendo 64
    Nintendo Entertainment System
    Nintendo Game Boy
    Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  21. ninty72

Well it is kinda retro related .....

[​IMG]

Need more bookcases for my games .... :)

DojoDan likes this.
  22. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

Capcom continues to steal my money. They've got a retro beat em up collection coming out next week that includes Battle Circuit and Armored Warriors (never before ported). Damn right I'm buying that day 1!

23. DojoDan

Thanks for the heads up there! I would've totally missed that and I love scrolling beat em ups.

24. ninty72

Well the bookcase is now up , I now have no wall space left so once its filled it's either stop buying or move.

I've purchased a few more megadrive games recently but there travelling by boat from Japan....well it feels like it as it's over 2 weeks now.

What's that saying 'patience is a virtue!'

DojoDan likes this.
  25. ninty72

The Postal Gods must of read my message yesterday as one of them has just arrived,

[​IMG]

A little nifty top down strategic shooter. :)

DojoDan likes this.