Sell me on an Otome game

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by zodaex, Dec 29, 2018.

1. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

I thought this would be a fun topic to make because for the most part I generally totally ignore this genre. The only Otome game on Vita that I own is Norn9 and that's only because I just happened to hear some events that happen in it that are so outlandish and ridiculous that I knew I had to give it a try.
    Has anyone here played an Otome on the Vita and have strong feelings about it? I'd love to hear your about them. I'm really open to playing any genre if it's done right, but at the same time i'm familiar with the concept of games mainly sold on fan-service, and i'm definitely trying to avoid those types of Otomes if that's the best they have going for them.

2. Rovest

Rovest Active Member

Utawarerumono : Mask of Deception
    Its well paced story that has "GOOD" Images fitting for the chars when used for conversation, Norn9 is a low budget value Otome. Danganronpa/Utawarerumono/Code Realize are high value Otomes.

Seriously tho, Both Mask of Deception and its direct sequel Mask of Truth are "THE BEST" Vita games I have played.

zodaex likes this.
  3. Ficta_Scriptor

Ficta_Scriptor Well-Known Member

Since when was Danganronpa an otome? o_O

As for me, Code Realize is the only otome I've played so far (I do have the Psychedelica games to play through though) and was enough to convince me that otome was a worthy genre. The characters are vivid and likable and the story is far, far removed from a "girl fawns over hunky guys" that you might expect from an otome. The story of their struggle and the tragic backstories they each possess are the meat and potatoes of the game. My only big criticism is that it has TONS of grammatical errors. I started taking screenshots halfway through and amassed at least fifty. Not good. But if you can deal with that it's a solid VN and good introduction to the otome genre.

zodaex and TheAtom like this.
  4. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

Ficta_Scriptor exactly, I think you should not confuse visual novels with otome games, the subgenre of dating sims aimed at women.

Amnesia and Norn9 are great, they have fantastic stories, and deep interesting characters. Amnesia takes some pretty dark turns as well and is totally worth it, even if swooning fellers isn't your thing.

zodaex likes this.
  5. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

Ehm Utawarerumono is not a otome.

Utawarerumono, Steins:Gate, Danganronpa or Xblaze Code Embryo are visual novels.

Code Realize, Hakuoki, Period:Cube and 7'Scarlet are otomes.

Otome visual novel is something different, otome is a category in the visual novel genre but that doesn't make a visual novel a otome (just like SRPG and ARPG are also different categories in the RPG genre).