Shmups for the Vita

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by Terramax, May 15, 2018.

1. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

The Vita is a great handheld for shmups. Small and portable, and perfect for games that can / are usually played in short bursts. Therefore, let's collate a list of all shmups for the system!

1942 (Capcom Classics Collection Remix)
    1943 (Capcom Classics Collection Remix)
    Darius Burst
    GaiaSeed
    Luftrausers
    Project Root
    Resogun
    Shienryu
    Shooter Ultimate
    Sina Mora
    Sky Force Anniversary
    Soldner X2
    Sonic Wings
    Super Destronaut
    Super Hydorah
    Sky Force Anniversary

DojoDan likes this.
  2. Nikobelakhov

Nikobelakhov Active Member

Check out Soldner X2, Sina Mora, Super Hydorah and Sky Force Anniversary. Darius Burst is excellent as you already know. I would grab the DLC for it too.

Terramax likes this.
  3. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

I didn;t even know Shienryu exists. Thanks for that :) Just looked it up on YT, reminds me if Apogees Raptor: Call of the Shadows. Well, to my fuzzy memories. Definitely be picking Shienryu when I get home.

zodaex and Terramax like this.
  4. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Nikobelakhov - Funnily enough, I have all the shmups you mentioned, but completely forgot about them. I didn't like any of them. I personally don't like Eurosmups. Sina Mora could've been good, but they shoehorned a story in there for no good reason, and the gameplay was a bit meh from what I remember. The other two mentioned were also completely unremarkable.

Thanks for Super Hydorah though. I'll check that out, once it's less than 16 goddamn pounds!

DojoDan - Shienryu is actually a pretty darn good shmup. I've had it on my Vita for years and I've always played it in short bursts from time to time.

DojoDan likes this.
  5. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Not sure if anyone is still interested, but I just found Arcade Hits: Sonuic Wings Special on the download section, so will hit that up soon.

Meanwhile, I got hold of DariusBurst. It's... ok. But it lacks the intense gameplay of manic shooters.

GaiaSeed is another one I downloaded a few years back, but it's shit! Avoid like a plague.

6. DojoDan

Uhh, GaiaSeed. I bought that last week. Can't see what's what at all. There's tons of DLC for DariusBurst by the way. Shienryu is good, I'm enjoying that. Just wish they had stick control, I'm not a huge fan of using the d-pad for them. After playing Sky Force, which is super accurate, I feel I have a learning curve going back to anything else. On that note, I'm really left feeling annoyed with Caladrius Blaze on the PS4 (off-topic sorry). There's a real noticable dead-zone using the stick and it really rattles me!

7. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Dude, you do know you can edit the controls of any PSone game? I've edited Shienryu so that I can use the left analog stick to move.

Downloading Sonic Wings Special now.

ALSO, I've noticed another game on PSN called 'Last Wings'.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  8. DojoDan

I actually saw that in the settings ages ago but totally forgot :rolleyes: Thanks for reminding me, I'll give it a try!

Terramax likes this.
  9. NinjaMicWZ

NinjaMicWZ Well-Known Member

Dariusburst is GOAT shmup in terms of content and home port features, by light years, and probably top three in terms of current gen presentation (only bested by Sine Mora EX and Astebreed imo), but it's not a Cave style shmup where the screen just turns pink with bullets and collectibles with no regard to aesthetic.

The story in Sine Mora EX is excellent btw. Can't remember if the original release version on Vita has voice acting or not. It's not like the garbage nonsense story shoved into Raiden V recently (and the VO was so incongruous with the core game, I just muted it in the options). On PS4 you can hold L1 to fast forward the game. It's pretty neat. Plus it runs in native 4K on PS4 Pro. One of the few games that isn't dynamic/fake 4K.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    DankZaku and DojoDan like this.
  10. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

My personal favorite so far is Solder X2 The Final Prototype

NinjaMicWZ likes this.
  11. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Just noticed Luftrausers on PSN too. Not strictly a rail shmup thought. At £7.50, it's a bit on the high price side, but I might grab at a later date.

12. The_stats_guy

The_stats_guy Well-Known Member

I definitely want to play luftrausers.... have been hoping for a physical release... but starting to doubt it now

13. sean

sean Well-Known Member

If you have a second vita to use the JPN PSN you open up a bunch of options not found on US or UK PSN.

einhander is only game I have atm but salamander is on wish list for next digital yen card I grab.

DojoDan likes this.
  14. DojoDan

I've been meaning to pick up a second 32gb card just for a back up so I suppose I could go a different region on that. I've got space on my current one. Might need to check that out.

sean likes this.
  15. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

So I bit the bullet and bought Luftrausers. AND IT'S TOTALLY WORTH THE £7.50!!!

Defo pick this one up guys. This game is fecking AWESOME!

DojoDan and The_stats_guy like this.
  16. The_stats_guy

The_stats_guy Well-Known Member

Based on this, i'll pick it up tonight!

Terramax likes this.
  17. NinjaMicWZ

Luftrausers is more of an asteroids type arcade game than an actual shmup, but it was fun.

I wonder if trophy hunters ever got the patch they wanted for it.

Terramax likes this.
  18. NinjaMicWZ

Einhander not being on PSN in the west still annoys me.

I'd also have really liked to get RayStorm and RayCrisis. It's been a decade now. I guess the days of getting new PSOne Classics are well over.

Terramax and sean like this.
  19. sean

sean Well-Known Member

You really should go JPN PSN. I have raycrisis lolz

20. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Hey guys anyone know what happened to Project Root? I don't see it on the EU shop. Was it another game pulled from PSN or did it not appear on there to begin with? Is it still on the US store?

I do notice it on the main website.
    But I wonder, if I buy it via the website, will I be able to download for the Vita, or will I be restrained to the PS4 version?

21. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

Strange it says PS4 because on the same page it says "Compatible with PlayStation®Vita only.".

22. DojoDan

There are Vita gameplay vids online but whether they're EU and recent is another question. Not very helpful I'm afraid!