Should I choose a 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS or DS? Or even none?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Discussion' started by _:_PuppyShark_:_, Mar 27, 2015.

1. _:_PuppyShark_:_

_:_PuppyShark_:_ Active Member

PSN ID:
    puppy_shark29-6
    I've been seriously thinking about one of these, but am in a pickle.

Reasons to say yes
    • Several friends have recommended I get one
    • Nintendo handhelds are *much* more popular than Sony ones
    • Far more games
    • Another toy to play with
    • I know what games I want to start with
    • Um... I've seen a really cute decal sticker I want to use on it
    Reasons to say no (Except for "I can't afford it")
    • Have spent a good couple of hundred on my Vita as is, plus I still have to complete trophies for Welcome Park and other games. Being on a minimum wage job doesn't help
    • Having read the discussion thread about people who own or have owned both Nintendo and Sony handhelds, the feedback is overwhelmingly preferential of the Vita
    • The only games I know for definite I want on whatever console I choose are Sonic Rush and The World Ends With You (Though of course there is Pokemon, and I might discover new ones)
    • I think each generation is only backwards compatible with the one before it
    • Region locking
    • I don't really know what features there are apart from Streetpass and two screens

SONY likes this.
  2. Goro

Goro Well-Known Member

A DS is incredibly cheap used these days and it has access to the DS and GBA library (if you buy the original or Lite model, don't buy the DSi). It does not have a Streetpass feature and you can forget about online play with it. No region locking for any relevant games.

A 3DS plays DS and 3DS games but not GBA games. 100% region locked for all relevant games. Has two screens, just like the DS. Many games feature an optional 3D effect. Has a few game with solid online play.

For me personally, the important questions would be:
    Do I prefer the 3DS or the GBA library (both the DS and 3DS play DS games)?
    Am I willing to pay the extra money it costs to get a 3DS, because both the console and its games are more expensive than the DS?

The DS Lite is the best DS and very pocket friendly.
    The original 3DS is the most pocket friendly 3DS.
    The 3DS XL is not as pocket friendly as the 3DS but IMO, the larger screen is better for playing games.
    The 2DS is basically like the original 3DS but it has no 3D effect and you can't fold it so it's the least pocket friendly.

There is also the New 3DS which is more expensive but has some added features like better screen, better 3D, shorter load times and it might in the future also get exclusive games because the hardware is more powerful.

3. Stefarno

Stefarno Well-Known Member

DS Lite has an astounding battery life, 15-19 hours - perfect if you're going away and can't get near a charger or to just shove it in a bag for when you might want it. There are a lot of great games, however the hardware is very dated now.

The 3DS is a bit more powerful (although totally light-years behind the Vita), however the battery life is poor. I can't see the 3D effect because of my eyes, so I can't comment on that. I have very short fingers, but you might struggle a bit with hand cramp on long gaming sessions if you don't.

The 3DS XL is more expensive and basically a bigger 3DS - although the low resolution of the screen (the top screen is of lower resolution than the PSP, for example) becomes more evident. The 2DS seems to be for kids who shouldn't use the 3D effect or might break the hinge, and I don't see any reason to get it other than that.

Personally, unless you need a long battery life or prefer the larger screen, I'd go for the 3DS, as they're cheap and offer DS backwards compatibility. It's a totally different proposition to the Vita though.

4. Goro

Goro Well-Known Member

The DS good battery life is an excellent point. Personally, I find the GBA library vastly superior to the 3DS library which is why I would pick up a DS rather than a 3DS if I didn't own one. The 3DS is definitely worth owning as well.

5. Jordy

Jordy Well-Known Member

3DS XL So you can play Smash Bros without using a magnifying glass to see Kirby

6. b0h3mian

b0h3mian Well-Known Member

To me it was the 3DS XL right from the start.

I wanted that bigger screen, and that was enough reason :)

To offset the higher cost, I went online to find second hand ones. In the end, I have gotten it from a guy who received it as a birthday gift, but no time to play.

7. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Definitive choice...

New 3DS XL, as every other revision is crap, imo.

8. vita_lover

vita_lover Well-Known Member

I have a Dsi XL and New 3DS XL - love them both.

VITA is better, but both DS and 3DS have great games not on VITA.

Don't like DS games on the 3DS due to the reduced size of the lower screen on the 3DS compared to Dsi.

The 3DS has 3D - and for certain games it makes a big difference.

Fav 3DS game - Persona Q, best DSi game - The Last Window.

9. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

I love all the final fantasy games on DS.

10. Rat King 64

Rat King 64 Well-Known Member

Best reasons to own a 3DS:

Zelda, Mario and RPGs (lots of good RPGs)

I have the 3DS XL and I love it. The top screen is almost the same size as the Vita screen.

11. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Can't wait to trade my New 3DS XL towards an NX one day.

12. Rat King 64

Rat King 64 Well-Known Member

I bought my 3DSXL in January and then found out about the N3DS. I was afraid that I might have made a mistake and would end up having to upgrade. So far it seems like I did not miss out on much.

13. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

You're right because there's only like 2 or 3 games that are exclusive to the New 3DS XL.

14. failgunner

failgunner Member

Get the New 3DS XL. Forget about it not having any exclusives, how older games run makes it way better. Smash 3DS doesn't reboot the system like it does on the normal XL. Monster Hunter 4 actually plays and looks better. The full OS is snappier. The price isn't much different in most places. Also 3D is actually usable and I have it on most times when I'm playing.

15. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have my 3D slider on more now.

16. eric

eric Well-Known Member

I recommend either the "NEW 3DS" or "NEW 3DS XL".
    I personally like using streetpass, and thus want a smaller device so I can more easily carry it with me. That is why I prefer the NEW 3DS. Yet the XL version has a larger screen ...but personally its not a big deal for me.

I love the 3D aspect and for that reason probably will not get the NEW 2DS XL. I think the 3D is fabulous and really enhances game play. ...whatever you get look for the "NEW" version as it has a faster processor and if its a 3D version the 3D is much better with the NEW versions.

17. samus1818

samus1818 Active Member

Hmmmm Do you think that you would use Amiibos? If not, you could buy the last generation of 3ds-I have this one :D I think the last generation should be cheaper-The 3DS XL. I love Amiibos, but I bought mines before they released them. LOL I like playing everything! Don't let people make you think that one option is better than another. There's also a lot of themed 3DS consoles; however, they may cost a bit more. I really wanted a Zelda themed 3DS, but Nintendo will NOT convince to buy more of the same consoles!!!

18. Digit

Digit Well-Known Member

I'd personally, if I didn't already have a 3DSXL, go for the New 3DSXL AND a GB Advance.
    Reasoning:

NEW 3DSXL backward compatible with DS. Can play 3DS and DS games.

GBA backward compatible with GBColor and GB. Can play GBA and GB and GBC games

With those two, you have all the varieties of nintendo handheld games ever.

Vita_Girl likes this.
  19. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

Im sure 2 and a half years later he greatly appreciates the advice ;) I did find myself looking at the 3DS games in Cex today but the GBA SP just suits me.