Show Off Your Latest Purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic Lounge' started by DuhWhitePanda, May 17, 2014.

1. lesdennis

lesdennis Well-Known Member

wow! just wow!

Edit!

almost forgot to post the goodies I received from the postman today!

Hikage postcard:

[​IMG]

Hikage & Katsuragi pillow case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and finally a Hikage mousemat, will get this framed at work soon should look good!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    rajat, coachjjs75, DojoDan and 4 others like this.
  2. Retro8bit

Retro8bit Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    Retro-8-bit
    Electronic store was having a sale! Picked up a Pacman clock, Hamaru figure, 8 bit Mario stand and Sonic Racer.

[​IMG]

rajat, coachjjs75, TheAtom and 5 others like this.
  3. DankZaku

DankZaku Well-Known Member

Happy belated birthday Mr Tornado !!! Hope you enjoy the Switch :)

Mr Tornado likes this.
  4. Mr Tornado

Mr Tornado Well-Known Member

Cheers mate. :) Absolutely loving Super Mario Odyssey.

5. Billybobbean

Billybobbean Well-Known Member

I’d never really put much time into a Mario game but gotta agree Odyssey is a great game.

My pickups for this week

[​IMG]

6. lesdennis

got this bad boy on Friday, absolute blast to play, having great fun indeed; getting my ass handed to me trying playing on one of the hardest difficulty settings

such a shame they butchered the top of the cover with a comment that is pretty much the norm with every game that is released;

[​IMG]

Retro8bit, rajat, Mr Tornado and 3 others like this.
  7. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

It's an empty case?

zodaex likes this.
  8. lesdennis

nope it's a standard switch game cartridge

just a bit annoyed they added the white block at the top of the cover '' Internet download required'', like this is different from any other switch game

DojoDan likes this.
  9. DojoDan

Ahh ok. From what it says I thought it was like a download code in a box. Why is a download required and are all Switch games like that?

10. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

Because Nintendo are being their usual selves and are holding out on their cartridges that hold as much as a blu-ray does. They've been doing that for years. I've actually read that it's the reason that the mainline Final Fantasys are never released on Nintendo systems anymore. Nintendo refused to let Square have acess to the big 32meg SNES cartridges.

11. DojoDan

Hmm. That's all news to me, I must live with my head in the sand. I'll have to have a read up on that. Cheers for the explanation.

12. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

Well just last week I read a great article about why Square largely jumped ship from making games for Nintendo and switched to the Sony platforms so all of that was very fresh on my mind. But also if you think historically about Nintendo games with the largest cart sizes, they always seem to only be available much later on in the console's lifespan. Remember how SNES and Neo Geo often used to advertise the cart size right on the front of the box of their games? Those were interesting times. As a kid I always pondered what kind of games the N64 would have been capable of if had ever received a 700MB cartridge in order to be on parity with the size of PS1 games. 50GB Switch carts have been announced by Nintendo BTW. They just aren't available yet which doesn't do any favors to the first wave of Switch games.

13. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

Currently there 5 games doing this:

- NBA 2K 18
    - WWE 2K 18
    - LA Noire
    - Wolfenstein 2
    - Doom (download is for multiplayer, the full single player game is on the cart)

Except Doom the other games in that list are incomplete without download.

I don't count games with vouchers because that's something totally different.

So what is the reason behind this? 2 things plus 1 less important thing.

Starting with the less important, Nintendo uses quality cartridges so they cost more, but that is by far not the main reason.

Main reasons in short are:

- developers and publishers themself, a 8gb switch cartridge costs around the price of a Blu-Ray used for PS4 and Xbox One games, they don't want to carry the cost of a more expensive cartridge but they also don't want to let the customer pay because then we get stuff like "physical Switch version is €10/20 extra".

This is the same issue like with N64, cartridges were smaller AND more expensive than CD's, the only difference is that now storage is not the issue (see next point).

- problem number 2 is Nintendo, the Switch cartridges are between 1gb up to 32gb and a 64gb model is on it's way, Nintendo can produce the necessary amount of cartridges for let's say a game like Wolfenstein 2 however because devs/publishers refuse to use the more expensive and bigger cartridges because of their cost, Nintendo doesn't produce them as much and the fault in this case is at the publishers and the high price of the cartridges.

Currently from what I know there is 1 game using the 32gb cartridge and that is Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2 collection.

Nintendo themself however doesn't have storage issues, their games use good compression so even the biggest titles need at most a 16gb cartridge or less.

Another reason I read (can't confirm the following) was that in comparsion to Nintendo themself, 3rd parties need to pay a license fee for using the cartridges, if not mistaken it's the same with PS4 and Xbox One.

So in short it's all about money, Nintendo refuse to eventually subsidize part of the cartridge costs and devs/publishers refuse to pay for bigger and more expensive cartridges so that they can maximise their profit.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  14. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

That's super interesting! So fascinating how these behind-the-scenes choices actively cultivate the system's dynamics for the end user.

DojoDan likes this.
  15. DojoDan

Yeah definately, very interesting. I had no idea these kind of issues existed but it makes sense, it just didn't occur to me.

16. lesdennis

interesting info Vitagirl thanks!

Very strange to see Nintendo being counterproductive (in my opinion), I mean I find it amazing that games like Wolfenstein and Doom are making it over to the Switch, but these are large sized games and you would expect Nintendo to be more supportive especially since I've just splashed out £45 for the game on the Switch, when I could have bought it on the PS4 physical for £20........

TheAtom and DojoDan like this.
  17. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

The great loss of Omega Labyrinth Z weighs heavily on me. Thankfully, there's always manga to fill that cavity!!
    [​IMG]

I had been waiting for a while for the new Magika (fun ecchi battle harem manga with great art), as well as the second World's End Harem (a legitimately interesting twist on the 'all men but you have died, you have to repopulate humanity' idea). Hybrid x Heart I am a little unsure of, but the art is nice (which is a good starter for ecchi manga), but without a fun, engaging story I'll probably get bored quickly...

Retro8bit, Mr Tornado, zodaex and 3 others like this.
  18. Tweeg

Tweeg Member

Nintendo has been doing this a long time. They also did this with the DS, except with that system they touted cartridge sizes, and even features, never made available to third party developers. A Japanese indie developer/hacker who went by the screen name "InfantileParalyser" (or something like that) was the first to prove to the public it was actually true and worse than rumored when he actually managed to get a DS Developers Kit from Nintendo and reverse engineered a couple of Nintendo's 1st party game titles. His discovery proved Nintendo had intentionally been lying to 3rd party devs and that the Dev kits sent out to third parties restricted the CPU speed and system RAM available that a 3rd party developer could use, but 1st party Nintendo games ran a software unlock code which gave Nintendo's own in-house dev teams usage of the full CPU speed and maximum available system RAM. He also published segments of Nintendo's publisher agreement documentation for the DS revealing that 3rd party developers were not permitted to implement voice chat or on screen keyboard functionality in the online mode of any title they developed for the system platform. Nintendo took this guy to court, in Japan as that is where he was from, and won a anti-trust case against him, but his making issues public lead to changes in Nintendo's policies that went into effect for when the 3DS rolled out at least.

But yeah, this guy did open releases of two noteworthy major freeware programs for the DS using his gained knowledge (and dev kit); the first being the MoonShell OS for the DS, and the second being a Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) video player for the system.

TheAtom and DojoDan like this.
  19. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

And even then a lot of non Nintendo games run fine on the DS.

But that was DS, we are now talking about the Switch which is a different story.

Also every console company out there did stupid stuff, just look at how Sony treated the Vita and that 1 example of 1 company while all of them make mistakes.

20. Mr Tornado

Four recent arrivals. The Japanese game is Escape Trick 35 Fateful Enigmas which I bought from Amazon Japan. I saw it mentioned on Twitter that there was English text, so it was an instant purchase. It's not had very good reviews though!

[​IMG]

rajat, sagadego16, DankZaku and 3 others like this.
  21. DojoDan

Your Switch collection must be steadily growing. Looks like you've been firmly bitten by that bug!

DankZaku, Mr Tornado and sagadego16 like this.
  22. sagadego16

sagadego16 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] everything from amazon.

rajat, DankZaku, Mr Tornado and 2 others like this.
  23. DankZaku

DankZaku Well-Known Member

24. Mr Tornado

I'm trying to spend no more than £20.00 per game unless it's an LRG release or a game that I really want to get on, or near launch day. There's so many releases though...

DojoDan likes this.
  25. Mr Tornado

Nice! Looks pretty big. :)

DankZaku likes this.