Site is Going Unmoderated Right Now

Discussion in 'Rules, Announcements, Feedback, & Competitions!' started by Terramax, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Hey guys. I've not been active on this forum for about a month due to not being able to log in using a p.c. anymore. I'm required to use a verification code every time I log in, but the codes have since stopped being emailed to me, effectively blocking me out. It has only been just now that I have found out that I can log in through my phone.

I've been patiently emailing Murphy about the situation for some 3 weeks but I've not heard anything from him on thmatter, though I notice he recently logged in to advertise old issues of the vitamag.

Thankfully there have been no major spam issues as of late. Hopefully it'll remain this way.

In the meantime, if someone does get a chance to speak to our man Murphy, please do point him to this issue.

Many thanks,

Terramax

DojoDan and Murphy like this.
  2. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

Oh man!.. I was really wondering where you had been all this time. Best of luck with getting this all sorted out! We're lucky the spam hasn't been much worse than it has.

3. Murphy

Murphy Founder Staff Member

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    I'm trying to get to the bottom of this issue - I have asked my tech guy to look into it. I also do not get the emails - something is conflicting server side and stopping the emails (same has happened to Switch Player) however I'm able to log in myself here.

4. alf

alf Active Member

Guys - forum is under siege now. Looks like some kind of bot is creating a thread after thread. This way we are going to sink with our ship altogether pretty soon. Are we going to do something about it ? As far as i see Murphy is not going to do anything about it. Our only hope was Terramax, however he is not able to log in with mod privileges anymore. Suggestion: maybe it's time to create another ps vita forum ?

5. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

6. zodaex

7. Lando452

Lando452 Well-Known Member

These Bots are killing us

8. DojoDan

9. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

Maybe we could contact Murphy via the kickstarter? I don't mind being a moderator, personally, but we would have to get Murphy on it to get it done. Hell, maybe a bunch of the regulars could become mods together? Then if one falls out we can still continue on without being in the same trouble?

A new forum is going to be a surefire way for things to die out, I fear.

10. ninty72

ninty72 Well-Known Member

Trainers for ever ! opps I mean vita forever !

11. zodaex

Transparency about the specific website issues at hand would go a long way in remedying the issue I think. I bet we've got some genius website people already on the board daily who would happily volunteer but we don't even know who they are so they can't help us. The only two people with the keys are never home.

12. Billybobbean

Billybobbean Well-Known Member

Remember we've got Discord as well

https://discord.gg/Ejt2cJc

We do need more mod powers amongst the people here though. The spam never stays away for long

DojoDan likes this.
  13. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

I'm back!!

[​IMG]

zodaex and DojoDan like this.
  14. Alf64

Alf64 New Member

Hey guys, Terramax here, under a different email address sign-in.

I've not been on the forums since September due to having not been able to log in at all. Since being a moderator, I've had to manually request a verification code every time I log in, which were being sent to my email address.

Then they stopped coming in September. So there was no way to get into the forums.

I've contacted Murphy a few times and asked to find a way to turn off these verification codes but obviously no such luck was made.

I have just sent two emails to Murphy asking if we can get the ball rolling and having myself as the legal owner of the forum (and main website). I'll pay for monthly charges for the forum, and promise to have the site up and running and spambot free.

Just waiting to see if Murphy will accept this.

Sorry for not being on the forums guys. I'm just as dedicated to the vita as ever (currently playing Dream C Club JP import and Bullet Girls Phantasia).

DojoDan and zodaex like this.
  15. Billybobbean

Billybobbean Well-Known Member

This whole thing has kinda highlighted the fact that we need more than 1 admin/mod.

Why is this fact getting ignored every time this happens? Can we please sort this out soon

DojoDan, Frite and sean like this.
  16. DojoDan

As it stands this spam is close to stifling community activity here. There's been a fair few join on Discord since it cropped up as well.

I'm sure there's a good few of us willing to chip in for hosting fees if needed as well. And a couple more mods wouldn't hurt. Just not Ninty, otherwise we'll all be wearing trainers for Christmas :)

ninty72, sean and zodaex like this.
  17. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

Well I have enough free time to be a mod, but even then we need at least 2 mods, 3 would be better to split the tasks.

And as to discord good to know some people started that, for me that's sadly not a solution because 1 I hate discord (personal reasons I prefer not to talk about) and 2 it sadly doesn't solve the spam issues over here.

I fear the worst and that is that this forum will die because of the spam (sounds logic), and making a new one isn't a solution neither considering the state Vita is in.

I can imagine Murphy has no time for this forum, but I know plenty of people that have very busy days and some of them even 7 days a week, and even those people would have a way to create time just to fix some small stuff like giving people mod rights (I'm not talking about removing the spam, that is already 7000+ messages).

I not bashing him, I'm just suprised it takes so long and the radio silence about everything doesn't make it any better.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    TheAtom, SONY and zodaex like this.
  18. TriOpticon

TriOpticon Well-Known Member

I have retired so I have plenty of free time to help moderate. I also live in Japan so I could be the night shift moderator (compared to USA times at least). :)

19. zodaex

My confidence in this place is gone. Unless we get a new permanent owner soon them i'm going to start posting at the bootleg lounge. http://vitalounge.freeforums.net/

SONY likes this.
  20. Retro8bit

Retro8bit Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    Retro-8-bit
    I would really hate to see this place go. I know there are always other alternatives and websites we could meet up at but it just isn't the same. This is where we all met at, this is our home. You guys are like my online family and I just couldn't bare the fact of us spending all these great times anywhere else but here. TVL always felt like our own private little world.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  21. Alf64

Alf64 New Member

Murphy has told me that he is currently in another country hence unable to do much at this current moment in time (though he says he has deleted some of the spam....).

Again, I have emailed him asking if I can become the legal owner of the forums and website.

Regarding why the spam is happening now; if I recall correctly, Murphy was paying an extra amount every month / year for an extra bot preventor of some kind, but he stopped paying for it a number of months ago hence the spam. It goes without saying, if I am the new owner, I will look into paying for this extra level of security.

I know the future doesn't look bright right now, but hopefully, when Murphy returns from his abroad trip, we can work together to resolve the issue. But it really is in Murphy's hands.

Worst comes to worst, I'll create a new forum myself. However, doing that would eliminate all the past history seen on this site, and I'm sure not everyone on these forums would move over. But this really would be a last resort.

SONY likes this.
  22. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

I didn't know that but it makes more sense then.

23. Miroku

Miroku Member

I only recently joined, but If I have to, I'll join anew forum if this one goes down.

That being said, would be nice for someone else to take over or we set up a donation page to help with removal of these annoying bots.
    Like I think my Introduction thread was deleted by accident haha :(

24. alf

alf Active Member

I suggest the following:
    1. We stay on this forum.
    2. We pay together for the forum bot-prevention mechanism and maintenance cost.
    3. Terramax is an extremely reliable person, i trust him and i recommend him as our admin. It's nice of him that he is willing to steer this ship and even pay for it. I guess if each of us gives a few coins from the wallet, we are able to collect suitable amount of money to pay al-together.
    4. In addition to Terramax being an admin, we should choose at least 3 mod roles. I suggest these should be: Billybobbean , Retro8bit and TheAtom . They are on the forums everyday.

Let's make it guys, as Vita means life!

@Terra (Alf64 ), please update us as soon as you will get an answer from Murphy.
    Btw. spam is still going on and on :/

25. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

I'm from Australia

zodaex likes this.