Sony announces New Studio "ForwardWorks" to work on mobile games.

Discussion in 'PlayStation 4 & General PlayStation Discussion' started by FearlessSasuke, Mar 24, 2016.

1. FearlessSasuke

FearlessSasuke Well-Known Member

www.theverge.com/2016/3/24/11296898/sony-forwardworks-playstation-smartphone-games

Sony Computer Entertainment, to be known as Sony Interactive Entertainment from next week, has announced the formation of a new company called ForwardWorks that will focus on smartphone games. In a statement, Sony says it will produce "full-fledged game titles" that make use of PlayStation characters and IP as well as Sony's own experience in the video game market.

There's no indication of when we're likely to see the first titles from ForwardWorks, but Sony says the company will focus on users in Japan and Asia. Atsushi Morita, the head of SCE in Japan and Asia, will be president of the new unit, while the incoming boss of SIE overall, Andrew House, will be a member of the board. The company will be incorporated from April 1st, the same day SCE's transformation into SIE will take effect.

The announcement has shades of Nintendo's move into the mobile market, although the focus on "full-fledged" titles makes it sound like Sony's efforts may be more traditional. Nintendo launched its first mobile app, the social-focused Miitomo, last week, and although it plans to release games in the coming year, all indications are that they'll be smaller experiences designed to attract players to Nintendo's dedicated gaming consoles.

..... THATS THE WAY WE WASH OUR HAND FALALALALA-LALALALA

2. Pata

Pata Well-Known Member

"We don't have any kind of 1st party support on the Vita, not even in Asia/Japan, but yet we've launched a studio which focuses on mobile games. And Vita? We don't have anything for it but the 3rd parties will take care of it..." - Sony

3. SasukeTheRipper

SasukeTheRipper Well-Known Member

Fuck you, Sony!

sagadego16 likes this.
  4. Karl Smith

Karl Smith #supersmith2500

PSN ID:
    supersmith2500
    So pretty much we will see more crappy Candy Crush, Flappy Bird and Temple Run knockoffs with Ads and pay to win micro-transactions and with PlayStation's franchises slapped on then?

NO!!!!! I don't want to play these dull ripoffs on a smartphone device because they are repetitive, boring and less fun due to micro-transactions. I'm getting sick of AAA studios shifting their focus to games only for Android and iOS. I don't want more crappy ripoffs for smartphones. WE HAVE TOO MANY! Think about it, we already had two Temple Run ripoffs and a Candy Crush ripoff. And pretty much they are ditching the Vita over this. For god sake Sony.

5. Digit

Digit Well-Known Member

I'm actually kinda fine with that, if it means third party developers keep cranking out good stuff for vita and we don't get these knockoffs on the vita.

6. Techup

Techup Well-Known Member

From a business stand point it makes sense tbh.

I mean look at that new Supercell game "Clash Royale". There are idiots people who spent thousands of dollars for digital "decks". The profit margin is so damn huge for a hit mobile game it's absolutely ludicrous. There's no need to churn out physical copies. There's no need to develop new hardware. I imagine it would take half the people, probably less, to develop some crap ass mobile game compared to a full on gaming experience for a console. More specifically the Vita.

With that said though... I'm disappointed. I don't play my Vita as much as I used to but if this just takes support away from Vita then I don't like it.

7. Archbreaker

Archbreaker Member

Like the person above me said, it makes sense from a business stand point.

Mobile gaming is projected to take a higher share of gaming revenue than PC and Consoles this year at about 37% of the revenue. (https://newzoo.com/insights/article...aches-99-6-billion-2016-mobile-generating-37/) With that high of a significance, it's hard for Sony as well as Nintendo, which recently released that Miitomo app recently, to ignore mobile gaming.

I hope that this new strategy will still help out the PS Vita by getting a strong word of Sony's IP out, which could promote mobile apps back to the PS Vita. I won't hold my breath for that to happen though.

Hopefully the apps that ForwardWorks develops will be worthwhile at least. I'd hate to see all of those great characters put on a game that's really addicting and money-grabbing.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  8. infasis

infasis Member

Sure Sony, full fledged compared to what? If full price Vita/PS4 games, then I'll believe it when I see it. I wouldn't mind someone trying to sell real, full priced, games on the platform though. It seems like the only way it's ever gonna live up to the standards of titles on regular systems in my opinion.

9. MikeRox

MikeRox Well-Known Member

Vita has great games I'm wanting well into 2017 now. That's 5 pretty solid years despite the very lacklustre First party support.

I think I'm at the stage where I'm happy for Sony to try move on. I think it's looking increasingly unlikely Sony plan carrying on with a dedicated portable system.