Sony ends PSVita and PS3 monthly PS+ games

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Billybobbean, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Billybobbean

Billybobbean Well-Known Member

Just received an email announcement from Sony stating after the 8th of March 2019 there will no longer be Vita or PS3 games in the monthly line up.

To be honest the writings been on the wall as far as this goes for awhile but it’s still a bummer to hear.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Roscoe Jones likes this.
  2. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

In short? Vita got mostly weak games lately, with sometimes a nice title like Grand Kingdom.

Maybe it's better they do this, better to have some good PS4 games than weak PS4 AND Vita ones.

Roscoe Jones likes this.
  3. KaiserFoxHD

KaiserFoxHD Gaming's not an addiction, It's a lifestyle

Sad News indeed, I think the writing has been on the wall for the PS3 of course, but the Vita, feels like a different kind of blow. There are still games coming out for the Vita, but to be honest, I feel this is the Vita's Final year.

Roscoe Jones and TheAtom like this.
  4. Vita_Girl

Switch takes it partly over from the Vita, other smaller part goes to PS4 and PC.

And considering Sony won't release a new handheld, their short but fun handheld adventure since the PSP gave a nice contrast versus Nintendo their handhelds and games.

Roscoe Jones and TheAtom like this.
  5. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

I haven't been with PS+ for long, so Grand Kingdom is the first game I actually want to try that we got for the Vita, so despite having loved some of the older games to come on PS+, I can't say that I'll miss much, because I never really had it. Last month had Mugen Souls Z on the PS3 though, so that's cool. And as long as the PS4 has cross-buy indies we'll still get some Vita games, I'm sure

Roscoe Jones likes this.
  6. zodaex

zodaex Blow monsters with all new weapons

You consider 6 years as a short adventure? I mean, there are systems that had a longer lifespan, but to me 6 years of game releases isn't too shabby.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    TheAtom and Roscoe Jones like this.
  7. Billybobbean

Yea they did a good run of free games and clearly are running out of games that could be used at this point. We can fault their shit handling of the vita in general but PS+ offerings is one of the few areas we can say they did a good job.

zodaex likes this.
  8. Roscoe Jones

Roscoe Jones PSN ID: Roscoe369 Friend Me!

I'm honestly okay with that. Ps3 is 12yrs old and Vita is 7 years old so. I have enough games on my vita that'll last me a life time so no hard feelings about it.

TheAtom and zodaex like this.
  9. Roscoe Jones

Agreed. I actually came to like that people say the Vita is "dead" and has "no games." Therefore, we can keep all the Vita fun to ourselves. Idiots! Vita will probably be highly sought after...just you watch!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  10. Roscoe Jones

Indeed!

11. Roscoe Jones

I also believe, a lot of Vita players own a Switch so it's not a total lose. Vita is still thriving and will always thrive. Sony sees that we're still Vita-crazy but we aren't making them enough money I guess. Next time Sony properly advertise your Vita!

12. Roscoe Jones

I actually let mine expire back then becuz I got into physical games. Vita need as much preservation as possible so I don't care much about digital download games

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  13. Vita_Girl

"since PSP" = 2004 so 13+ years up till now.

Short because Nintendo is (if counted from the GameBoy line) almost 29 years in that business.

I still need to get a Switch but that has to wait till May I guess, I did already get some Switch titles beforehand.

But even then I will probably never do what I did with the Vita by trying to get all the physical games I care about for it.

Roscoe Jones likes this.
  14. zodaex

But Nintendo isn't the only other player in the history of the Handheld wars. There was Bandai, Sega, NEC Atari, Tiger, SNK and many many more, I could go on and on. Nintendo is the exception here, not the rule. If you average the lifespan of handhelds from all the other players in the industry, then I think you'll find that a 13 year run is quite exceptional and well above average.

15. Vita_Girl

I never said 13+ years isn't exceptional, all the others had a shorter run in the handheld market.

What I mean is 13+ years is too short (I want more from them in other words), Sony could easily go beyond that with a new handheld if they give a try.

Let's hope they change their mind someday.

16. zodaex

Oh for sure, those were my words not yours. When I said that 13 years was an exceptional run, that was my way of communicating to you that I did't see the run as being short, as you seemed to.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  17. Vita_Girl

I guess you don't get what I'm saying... probably because I suck at explaining what I mean right now.

13 years is too short because I want more Sony handhelds, not because it's a bad thing.

I know 13 years is a lot but because I want more it's too short for me.

Sony had PSP and the Vita, 2 systems (plus some "spin offs") while Nintendo has GameBoy line, GB Color, GB Advance, DS, 3DS and now the Switch.

Not that more is better, but in my opinion Sony makes the wrong choice by stopping after 1 fail while they just made 2 systems.

That and the fact they do handhelds for 13+ years makes it short for me because I expect/want them to make a new one.

And I don't count any rumors of a new Sony handheld, rumors are rumors not facts till proven by in this case Sony themself.

18. zodaex

Well, what you actually said (your words) was that the adventure was short, not too short. But now that you've elaborated on your statements I think I understand what you mean to say. Most of us here probably share those feelings with you, in that we probably want Sony's handheld "adventure" to be as long as possible.

Don't forget about the fact that Nintendo had their Game and Watch line of handhelds going before the Gameboy line.

Vita_Girl likes this.
  19. Vita_Girl

Exactly that :)

20. Billybobbean

I think once I’m done with collecting vita I’m actually going to go back and delve into the PSP again. Though I’ve used Nintendo handhelds most of my life, it’s been almost exclusively for Pokémon, the PSP was my main handheld before the vita came along.

I’ll keep holding out hope that Sony maybe copy the hybrid console idea one day. The way electronics are slimming down all the time makes me think they’ll maybe have a go at some point but not just yet.

21. Vita_Girl

I guess when that day comes I will focus more on Switch, 3DS, AND Atari Lynx (because without any legit reason I like that huge brick, imagine playing with that in a train or bus :D )

22. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

I know I have enough games to last me a LOOONG time, and I know I still have a lot to buy that already has come out, but somehow, with the end in sight, it does make me a little sad. Now, I'm not getting all sobby here, but you guys... *sob sob*... it wouldn't have been the same feeling without this awesome community, I'm sure. :D

Roscoe Jones likes this.
  23. Retro8bit

Retro8bit Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    Retro-8-bit
    When you really stop and think about it, how surprising is it that the PS+ games even lasted this long for Vita? Another testament to it's legacy.

TheAtom likes this.
  24. Roscoe Jones

Right, im only going for physical games i want to play. I have a small library now and won't built upon it until I finish all most of my vita games first. I'm already overwhelmed.

25. Blai

Blai Well-Known Member

I feel that too. Next year no more PS+ games, maybe the cut out the servers or the store and... I hope they still let LRG produce some more games

Roscoe Jones likes this.