Sony officially gives up on Vita...

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Lethal, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Lethal

Lethal Well-Known Member

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/23/sony-confirms-its-stopped-first-party-vita-development

2. coachjjs75

coachjjs75 Well-Known Member

Damm...... :( .............:mad:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  3. Pata

Pata Well-Known Member

Nothing new.

Move on.

Flying_Pig, PixelKnot and benna like this.
  4. Lethal

Lethal Well-Known Member

Except for the fact that Sony officially said they are done developing for the Vita.

5. Conor McKenna

Conor McKenna Member

If it can't be avoided, I at lest hope they continue the franchises on elsewhere. It would be a shame to see Freedom Wars, Oreshika and Soul Sacrifice die with this announcement. Obviously I would prefer them on the Vita, but I'd take PS4 over nothing.

6. Yaster

Yaster Well-Known Member

Exactly, nothing new. Shu said this at E3.

The title of this thread is also misleading. Sony on the whole have not given up on Vita. Just that first party WWS development has ceased. It doesn't mean that there will be no more external development and even Sony-published games coming out.

Flying_Pig likes this.
  7. jandermann1978

jandermann1978 Well-Known Member

...this is totally the end people...quick quick...all of you sell you´re Vita´s while they still bring you some bucks!!!...buy a New 3DSXL instead...well, better buy 2 of them!!!...*cough*

benna likes this.
  8. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    That's legit nothing new, Lethal. They said they weren't developing for it anymore a while ago, and even followed it up once with a re-confirmation before.

This is the third time it's been posted as news.

9. FearlessSasuke

FearlessSasuke Well-Known Member

Another day Sony can't believe their being asked about vita support, maybe because you made amazing system and don't know what to do with it, thank god for third party support, maybe you should lower those memory card prices since you stopped caring Sony.

10. jandermann1978

jandermann1978 Well-Known Member

...wouldn´t say no to that!!!...I´m also curious what happened to all the OLED-Vita´s they hadn´t sold/shipped!!!...maybe one day in 30 years or so somewhere in the Mojave Desert...oh no, I´ll stop that sentence!!!... ;)

benna likes this.
  11. Lethal

Lethal Well-Known Member

Not sure how it is misleading at all. It means Sony has given up on the Vita. If they were supporting the Vita, Sony would have been developing games for it.

This is the first official statement that I have seen from Sony. But I do not follow Vita news as much as the PS4.

12. Miguel

Miguel Well-Known Member

Its misleading its working with 3rd Party to make games for the vita while 1st party makes for ps4. What the news saying is that they stopped everything

13. Yaster

Yaster Well-Known Member

Exactly. Sony are still involved even when 3rd parties release games.

Flying_Pig likes this.
  14. Lethal

Lethal Well-Known Member

What 3rd party games are they publishing?

15. Miguel

Miguel Well-Known Member

Allmost all games until now published by Sony are 3rd party.

16. vita_lover

vita_lover Well-Known Member

Sony is NOT publishing all 3rd party games. Third Party publishers are also publishing Third Party games. like NIS and Atlus.

Sony has a huge hit with the PS4 and wants to keep it going - PlaystatonVR success is important to Sony.

The VITA is many things but a huge success is not one of them. Sony is lucky the is VITA is not a disaster like Virtual Boy.
    The future of the VITA is solid Third Party support through 2016 - in 2017 the VITA will be 6 years old and I see at least PSN support through 2018.

You buy the VITA to play it's great games like PS4 Golden. I wish the VITA had sold in droves like the Nintendo DS but it didn't happen.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    Unknownwolf likes this.
  17. Miguel

Miguel Well-Known Member

What about the games hungry horde, monster bag, helldivers for exemple?

Flying_Pig likes this.
  18. Barcellona

Barcellona Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    bskolz1983
    As always, nothing new has happened... and a lot bad news for Vita. Sony won't bring more 1st Party games to Vita (neither PS3, Move, etc.) They always push their new stuff and pass it then to 3rd party when it's not new anymore. Not really customer friendly, but Sony style.

19. Barcellona

Barcellona Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    bskolz1983
    None of those are 1st party... Monster Bag was made in Chile for example by a small indie company (and then produced by Sony)

20. Miguel

Miguel Well-Known Member

But thats what i said. They work with 3rd parties

21. Rat King 64

Rat King 64 Well-Known Member

This does not bother me at all. I knew that Sony were not going to produce any more 1st party games for the Vita before I bought it. Focusing on the PS4 really is the best thing for Sony to do. In their battle with the Xbox One the deciding factor will be exclusive games and the only company that they can rely on to bring a steady stream of exclusive games to the PS4 is themselves.

However, even if they do not want to use their own talent to produce Vita games they will still need to ensure that games are coming. The best way to do that is to reach out to the developers of every good indie game and ensure that they have a Vita version in their plans. Make it really easy and attractive for them. The same goes for localization houses. Make it very attractive to localize Vita games for Europe and North America. That means cheap development kits and reasonable licensing fees.

As someone else already said, they also need to resolve the whole memory card fiasco so that the consumer cost of entry for the Vita comes way down. Slash the price of memory cards by 50% and create a bundle where you get the Vita, a 32GB memory card, download vouchers for some AAA first party Vita games and a three month trial of PS Plus for $250. Everything you need to get into the world of PS Vita in one convenient package. Then try actually promoting it for a while and see what happens. They don't need expensive TV ads. They just need promotional materials and good product placement in places like Gamestop and Best Buy in order to target the gamer demographic. It might make no difference, or it might spark a minor resurgence in sales. At the very least, it would convince those third parties that Sony is serious about supporting the machine that they signed up to create games for.

coachjjs75 likes this.
  22. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

They'll probably change their minds later.

23. benna

benna Well-Known Member

As all people who follow Vita know, the media creates nothing but click bait articles for the console. Mostly "doom and gloom" or come "look see this game rating has partial nudity or adult themes" which I'm sure you would see on almost all PS4 games (with hyper violence to boot), but i digress...

If they worded the article header instead as "Sony first party is ALL-IN to ensure PS4 continues its worldwide dominance" then I'm sure there would be no issue. Instead they make a click bait "doom and gloom" Vita header, and then Lethal has the gall to further exacerbate it by making an even more click bait Vita thread header.

Lethal, like Kyle and many others on this forum, have mentioned, Sony diverting its attention, to ensure its latest platform "PS4" is a resounding success worldwide, is old news. We've known about this ever since PS4 launched 2 years ago. Sony, Panasonic, Sharp are Japanese companies on the brink of failure in today's global economy. Sharp has pulled out of the NA TV market. Sony and Panasonic cannot compete selling TV's versus Samsung and LG who are undercutting them dollar for dollar. We all have seen in the last 3 years how Sony has been selling hard assets like its buildings, closing 1st party game divisions left and right, selling its money losing PC VAIO division, and anything else that is bringing the company down. There have been calls for it to close its TV division as well, but Sony is stubbornly refusing to do so. (I'm partially glad because I own a Sony Projector and love it). Sony, from top to bottom, is trying to bring its books back to be a profitable company again after decades (not years) of money losing.

This is a business and I for one am happy to see SONY as a company, doing "the right thing". Gamers have put their faith in the PS4, and rewarded "Sony's market share vs Xbone", with a 60-70% share in NA, 70-90% share in europe and almost 100% share in Japan. I would scream if Sony didn't keep up the PS4 pressure or reward the gamers that have done this in blind faith, and I'm a Vita diehard who doesn't even own a PS4.

Regarding comments about Vita in the last few months-last year. We have seen:
    • Andrew House, Sony president and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment name the Vita as a legacy system, meaning "mature" platform not abandoned. This is not some pressboy making a gaff. This is Mr Big.
    • We have seen company plans to shareholders showing the Vita as a "legacy" system. In these slides it shows the company focus and goals for the next 2-3 years showing all in on PS4...and emerging VR market. It indicates Vita is still strong in Asia and is allowing 3rd party to continue to support the system.
    • Shuhei Yoshida, President of Sony's Worldwide Studios for Sony Computer Entertainment, has repeatedly stated in all interviews since last year 2014, that AAA has stopped for Vita exclusive. However everyone knows that there is pressure placed on all developers to try and bring a Vita Version, if its "doable". Which is why you are seeing PS4 and PSVita a lot. Im pro choice. So I love this. Resogun & HellDivers on PS4 and also on Vita is a win.
    • Even within the last month Sept 2015, on the Gravity Rush 2 reveal, Shuhei has been quoted as saying "we want people to upgrade to PS4" as one of the reasons why GR2 is not coming to Vita.
    • Sony has repeatedly acknowledged that the emergence of mobile and its hundreds of millions of smart phones and tablets and yearly hardware updates as a super competitor. I agree. The handheld market is going to be a challenge with that much saturation. CNN did interviews with 13 year olds and they have stated quotes like "Id rather not eat for a week, than have my smart phone taken away from me". I look at my non techie family relatives who several years ago were anti computer illiterates and now 5-7 years later, our thanksgiving dinner is littered with everyone staring down at their stupid smart phones, instead of having the family talking to each other face to face. Its sad.
    This is a business. Sony knows that PS4 is the company. Plain and simple. You have a lead on Xbone. Exploit it. If you are up on the New England Patriots 24-3...make it 56-3. You have a chance to do it. Do it.
    Mobile in the west is going to crush you, then run away.
    Handhelds are still strong in Asia and still making 3rd party for your niche handheld, then exploit that too.
    Indies who are making games that can run on mobile, guess what, can also magically run on a vita. So continue to bring the best of those to your niche handheld.

There's nothing new here. Move along. These are not the droids you are looking for.

P.S. having said that, I myself, this summer alone have bought a tonne of Vita games. Lots and Lots... (over 60 physicals this summer, now at about 150 cards). I continue to buy in to the variety that vita brings. I prefer my steam indies on my vita (want bastion,banner saga,darkest dungeon etc.) A lot more Vita games are being localized than ever before (eg. Bamco games, Visual Novels like Stiens Gate, and even Otome games, Neptunia Overload). After a lull I have suddenly realized that I can understand some Japanese and so why not embrace that so Ive begun importing anything and everything from the Japanese back catalog (including *gulp* VNs). And you know what, its actually helping me in my Japanese study and kanji recognition, having so much reading material.

Not bad for a dead system. (* I fully acknowledge that Im a MrAlsVita spawned Vita-loving-Mutant and not a good representative for normal humanity)

PPS. I also am the last person on the planet who doesnt own a Smart phone or tablet. Cause I love my Vita! :p Kimochi !

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  24. Miguel

Miguel Well-Known Member

Vote Benna for president! Lol i back up everthing you said, with a slight correction, actually what Andrew said was that the OLED screen was a legacy but, like you said, media + click and bait = shit.
    But hás you said, helldivers and resogun like games on ps4+psvita for me its just fine for me, and if they keep publishing games like counterspy, oreshika, monsterbag is even more awesome, in the last one i allmost cryed in the ending, and no one speaks on the game how wack is that? :D

benna likes this.
  25. Linkx41

Linkx41 The King of Hyrule

PSN ID:
    Linkx41
    Vita will be around for several more years :)

Lauriferous and Barcellona like this.