Sony patents new handheld. PS Vita 2?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by 2048Dan, Feb 17, 2017.

1. 2048Dan

2048Dan Well-Known Member

3VOLVE and lesdennis like this.
  2. lesdennis

lesdennis Well-Known Member

nice find! this is the kinda news I've been hoping for :D

lets hope we get some official confirmation sometime soon

3. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    I believe I've seen those images before, tbh - and I'm not at all convinced that'll ever make it to production.

Renegade Bastard likes this.
  4. vita_lover

vita_lover Well-Known Member

I would totally buy that system!

5. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

After a little research I could conclude the following based on what I read.

It doesn't have any game slot dics or cartridge so if it's a handheld than it's like PSP Go digital only.

But the patent doesn't say anything about a back touchpad = no Vita comptibility.

Another thing which did sound more realistic is that this is remote play only device for the PS4 (Pro).

But we shouldn't forget the fact that a lot of companies including Sony do patent A LOT of stuff they will never make but just for securing a design for themself.

Jawessome, McFungos and 3VOLVE like this.
  6. 3VOLVE

3VOLVE Well-Known Member

This is a very reasonable comment I doubt this will come and just to be clear patents don't confirm anything just more or less possibility that something "might" happen. Nothing more. Also I have to state if Sony isn't willing to put the effort here and not let this thing get overshadowed then I don't even want them to waste my time. PS Vita got overshadowed by PS3 and PS4 not to mention PS4 was prioritized. Now we have to worry about VR and all this other stuff they need to give this some space and breathing room. Too many mistakes and shortcomings left the Vita to do less that "advertised". <--- Get it?

Renegade Bastard likes this.
  7. Amos67

Amos67 Well-Known Member

A patent is just a way of saying f*you and your ideas, we had them first. It's a good way to scare people/businesses into royalties or litigation. Just google lego brick patents and you will see what i mean.

I dont see this ever happening as a vita 2. Too ugly and large. It does look crazy similar to the switch though haha.

8. Rat King 64

Rat King 64 Well-Known Member

I am sure that Sony are watching the Nintendo Switch very closely to see how it does. If it sells like gangbusters then I fully expect Sony to create a portable version of the PS4 to compete with it. That could explain why there is nowhere to insert a game card on this device. A portable PS4 would be download only for game content.

Of course, it could be a dedicated remote play device but I personally question the value of such a thing unless it somehow allows you to play your games from anywhere with no lag.

9. VitaBoy

VitaBoy Active Member

Only time will tell but there is no harm at being optimistic.