Sony to end physical vita games in 2018 usa/eu only

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by geralds, May 16, 2018.

1. geralds

geralds Member

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. comeoutpunching

comeoutpunching Well-Known Member

Such terrible news.
    1. I hope LRG and their competitors get a healthy amount of orders in before next month’s deadline
    2. I hope the English Asian market helps fill the void
    3. I wish my fantasy world were real and this was signaling a new handheld (it is surely not)

shirokuro, TheAtom and Retro8bit like this.
  3. DankZaku

DankZaku Well-Known Member

This makes me SO glad Muv Luv is already being manufactured. I hope we still get Sharin No Kuni, if not Kickstarter is dead to me haha. And I want those Sekai Project VN's they had on the way.

shirokuro and Retro8bit like this.
  4. Retro8bit

Retro8bit Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    Retro-8-bit
    Very sad to see this day finally come. I got so much joy out of the Vita, far more than I expected to be honest.

It's funny. After we have been hearing for years from people that "the Vita's dead the Vita's dead!" Only now come March 31st of NEXT year does the decline finally begin, and even then we are still going to be getting Asian releases as well as digital. That's really a testament to how strong the Vita truly was!

DankZaku, shirokuro and TheAtom like this.
  5. McFungos

McFungos Well-Known Member

I guess unless a miracle happen the PS Vita will not reach the 1 000 physical retail games landmark :(

6. rajat

rajat Well-Known Member

How many are there right now ? time to grab every damm game ;)

7. AJ77

AJ77 Well-Known Member

That deadline is to register a new game product code, they have until next Feb to get the actual orders in, but yeah no new games can be added after next month.

8. Billybobbean

Billybobbean Well-Known Member

Well this news certainly seemed to come out of nowhere, seemed the demand was still good with all the limited print companies about but apparently not good enough.

If the eastern factories are still up and running I'd assume play-asia can still do their limited prints but I wonder if LRG and others will be able to jump in the queue as well.

As much as kotaku's title is very doom and gloom I reckon we will still see the odd English release still for awhile yet

Either way I'm satisfied winding down my vita collecting now that I've pretty much got everything for the system and I think despite crashing and burning in terms of its mainstream popularity its done very well making it this far.

9. AJ77

AJ77 Well-Known Member

Well i guess Sony are more in contact with western devs than us, the retail releases are dropping massively this year, i predicted only a handful for next year a while back, so not a massive surprise there, plus if an average small run is 3000 and the western small run games were 25, that would only make 75k units, a paltry number that one major title would sell on launch a few years ago.

I was annoyed at first, but then realised it was EU and US only at this point, so not the end just yet, probably another year after for the JP/AS.

Not sure about LRG using the eastern factories in respect to maybe your company has to be registered in those terrortories or not?

10. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

I do wonder about that indeed! With a bit of luck, those companies can get them made in Asia. If they want to go that far to please a niche audience is another story...

11. AllHasRed

AllHasRed Well-Known Member

What a massive shame :( Even though I feel the writing has been on the wall somewhat (with the recent confirmation of the system being discontinued in Spain - and by all signs, the rest of the non-Asian world - for example), this still feels like a bit of a blow.

I suppose no one can deny that our community, vocal and supportive as it is, must be miniscule in relation to the cost of operating factory production of the games, especially in the West. I would be surprised if there were more than a few thousand of us at best that buy up every release. Which kind of makes it hurt all the more in an unfounded emotional way, when I consider that I surely bought 80% of my ~470 physical games new instead of used to get some feeling of showing support.

As long as they keep producing carts for the Asian territories, at least all hope is not lost for a while. Maybe/hopefully there will even be a way for the limited publishers to get their games printed at the Asian factories. If not, at least Play Asia/EAS will be able to keep going - perhaps it could even lead to them releasing more games when/if the others really can't anymore.

And as much as I'm comfortable with not dropping as much money on LRG Vita releases in the last couple of months, I'd still appreciate if they could possibly up their production speed for all those promised titles before it's too late :)

DankZaku, Mr Tornado and TheAtom like this.
  12. TheAtom

The has been discontinued in the Netherlands and Belgium since 2016 already, actually...

13. Retro8bit

Retro8bit Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    Retro-8-bit
    I'll admit I have always been a naysayer when it came to there being a Vita 2, but does anyone else think this may have something to do with the upcoming E3?

14. TheAtom

Don't get my hopes up!!

15. AJ77

AJ77 Well-Known Member

No lol there is zero chance of a Vita 2 at this stage, plus this is the wrong time to announce stopping supporting something before a new console, that always come after.

16. Billybobbean

As long as we get Chicken Range out before the cut off I'll be happy to call the vita a success.

17. Colorado Rockie

Colorado Rockie Well-Known Member

Could be a good opportunity for some prospective Asians looking for a startup. I don't really want Play-Asia to have the market to themselves for English games. Their games (and prices) are awesome right now, but that's due to stiff competition.

18. Ficta_Scriptor

Ficta_Scriptor Well-Known Member

Very sad news. :( I wonder if games like 13 Sentinels, Liar Princess & Bloodstained will make it. The hope for localisations of games like Dungeon Travelers 2-2, Death Mark and others has gone down the drain. Here's hoping this sees a surge in English Asian releases as publishers see potential for filling the void.

*Sigh* I guess I'd better buy some Vita games that I'd been holding off on.

19. shirokuro

shirokuro Well-Known Member

I guess this time would come sooner or later, but this news is just too soon :(

zodaex likes this.
  20. geralds

geralds Member

actually there are you have no idea how many games they have released in Japan alone for the vita 700 to 800+ physical games, on top of all the region exlcusives from limited print companies and just general region exclusives There are well over 50 exclusives alone in america thanks to limited run games, Theres like 50 or so European exclusives. Also with the popularity of the vita in Japan and the fact they can still support vita games in asia chances are they will still release physical vita games there. also if you are meaning just physical English game ya fat chance there will be 1000 or more physical English games most systems dont normally ever get 1000 physical games within the systems lifespan. The only systems to ever get over the nintendo ds, wii, ps1,ps2,ps3,xbox 360 and im not counting computers or the japanese libraries for other systems as so many games are released in Japan that never get released outside its baffeling.

it depends on the region there is around 200 european games, There is 150ish asian English games, There around 257 in America 50 of them alone are from limited run games , There close to 1000 already release in Japan. 12 games in Mainland china.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  21. AJ77

AJ77 Well-Known Member

Im sure they will, plus im sure Sony has been in contact in devs for a little while to say before announcing this, plus as long as the game is registered by next month they still have 9 months to work on it and get it sent for manufacturing.

But saying that i fear some games getting cancelled, but because of the way people react on the internet like its their right to the game, most of these wont be announced just left until its too late.

22. Billybobbean

If bloodstained fails to get a vita physical I'm dropping my support back down to just the switch version. Hopefully since that's fairly far along now they will have sorted already sorted what they need to but we've been through this before so it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up no longer happening.

23. ninty72

ninty72 Well-Known Member

It's sad of course but it's not like there's no games to play on the vita ....it'll give me some much needed time to work through my 200+ backlog ! So there's some good news out of it all. :)

Oh, apart from LRG who'll start churning out 2 vita games a week now ;) get your wallets and purses ready :)

24. DankZaku

DankZaku Well-Known Member

Geralds, he has an idea ;). If anyone knows how many games there are on Vita its McFungos lol. He's the one you responded too. Check out his past posts. He is at, or very near to a complete Vita set. Like complete, complete.

25. McFungos

McFungos Well-Known Member

Not counting the upcoming Reverie and the upcoming LRG that have yet to made it to my spread sheet.

940 games out of those :
    • 3 cancelled
    • 29 to be released
    • 908 really released for grab
    There are also 2 games that physical releases in Japan are dubious.
    I should also remove the Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds because it's PSN code only :/

I started my spreadsheet at the end of January 2016. I cross checked the Wikipedia games lists with Amiami, Solaris Japan, eBay, Play-asia, GamesFAQs to initialize my list. Wikipedia doesn't give a fuck to know if a game was effectively released or released at the announced date. One really weird thing is never managed to find a website selling the Chinese exclusives. i mean there is even no trace of those games in Play Asia. Thus i discarded those games from my physical listing until i find more information :(

One thing people have difficulty to understand even if it not 1 000 physical games but just more than 900 this number is just insane.
    That an average of 11,79 games per month.