Sony's Absense from E3

Discussion in 'Other Gaming Discussion' started by Terramax, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

Well this is peculiar.

Sony aren't being involved in E3... at all!

Lots of discussions as to why this might be the case. The official reason is pretty vague when you think about it. They say they seek other avenues of advertising their products, but seeing as E3 has always been successful for Sony, I fail to see how they expect to achieve anything from pulling out entirely.

There are a few theories I can think of.

1.) They've had a falling out with the E3 organisers.

A lot of money is passed around. I wonder if maybe Sony had disagreements with some of the terms?

2.) No games.

This is thought to be the main reason, and Sony have apparently insinuated as such. I'm not up-to-date with up-and-coming releases on the PS4. However, Nintendo often have bugger all games to shout about at any given time, but they simply put a whole bunch of emphasis on just 2 or 3 games, so what is the problem with Sony doing the same?

3.) Sony are in serious financial trouble, period, and this is an effort to re-prioritise or put less emphasis on their gaming department.

This is highly unlikely, or at least you would think at first. But then, Sony, as a major company, have had really bad years where they've shut down multiple game companies and downsized significantly. Could this be a precurser to a similar situation? Downplaying their role in the gaming industry before quietly downsizing?

4.) A new console is on the horizon and they will announce it at a special event later on (the positive view).

It has been pointed out that, most recently, all 1st party devs have used standalone events to announce new hardware. Could this also be the case for Sony right now?

Having said that, E3 isn't usually until, what, June? If that's the case, then presumably they'd be planning to announce the console after that time! That's an awful long time without contributing games to a major gaming event.

I guess they could announce a system before that time, but then wouldn't E3 be the perfect opportunity to showcase the hypothetical hardware and games?

Whatever the case, it seems really strange for Sony to back out altogether. Nintendo could get away with it, as they're very good at showcasing their limited selection of games brick by brick over multple months (or years) until eventual release. It's not really like that for Sony.

Even during their bad years, they've simply had 3rd parties lead their E3 showings (i.e. the FFVII remake and Shenmue 3 announcements a few years back).

Some are suggesting Sony can spin this into a positive later on, but I can't think of the life of me how this can be seen as anything other than a very negative move by them.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  2. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

Maybe, they'll do a Nintendo and have their own thing just before or several days after e3. It's cheaper that way.
    But then again... PlayStation Xperience 2018 was skipped as well?

3. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

If I would have to choose then 3 or 4.

Why option 3? Playstation as a part of Sony is a money machine, Sony as a company is a different story.

Why option 4? Pure logic, Nintendo for example never announced the Switch at the E3 but before it so who knows Sony will do the same with their new console.

Bonus option, their E3 this year had great games but as a showcase it was such a boring disaster that I fell asleep while watching it.

SONY likes this.
  4. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

I'm thinking more 4 than 3, but financial matters certainly play a role.

E3 is enormous of course, and to get the big platform that Playstation wants, they'd probably have to pay a hefty price. But in the age where E3 isn't for the press that can go on to write about everything they've seen, but for the audience watching at home from their computers, the appeal to pay that hefty price isn't as big anymore. So I expect it'll be a lot cheaper, and probably similarly effective to go on your own and stream it on some of the more popular streaming platforms.

So if they're going to pull a Nintendo, why also drop PSX? One reason could be because PSX is also more of a real-life event rather than just a streamed conference, probably costing a lot more than it minimally needs to as well. Another reason could be that at this point, they don't want to share enough to make it interesting enough for an entire event.

Almost certainly we're going to see PS5 announced next year, and I'm thinking Playstation will start doing their own press conferences/streams to get their word out. It's a lot cheaper, E3 is only marginally more effective (and one could even ponder whether it is more effective. With all the news coming out at E3, there's always a lot that gets lost in the rubble), and they get to do things their way on their own terms.

5. SONY

SONY Well-Known Member

IMHO, e3 sucks and gone are the days of exciting game and console reveals of the early 2000's :(

Terramax likes this.
  6. Tweeg

Tweeg Well-Known Member

Well the current iteration of E3 isn't remotely the same as it was in the past, and reality is that these conventions are becoming less and less relevant with how the internet has opened up the world market in ways many never even dreamed of.

TheAtom and SONY like this.