Spooky games for Halloween time

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by alf, Oct 22, 2018.

1. alf

alf Active Member

Retro8bit inspired me to create this new thread. It's all about spooky games recommendations, just to have a nice time during Halloween ;)

So, i'd like you to recommend titles which are suitable to play during this dark and melancholic time. I guess Vita may have just a few titles, so other consoles are welcome also!

Let me start then!
    My recommendation is: Lunacy for the Sega Saturn, also known as Torico in PAL region.

Great soundtrack, great dark and mystical atmosphere. It's just an old FMV game from Saturn / PSX era, but it's one of the greates in its kind.
    Here take a look at gameplay:

The story includes: searching through the Misty Town for the clues about City of Moons and our own past. There are spirits involved (2nd part of the game), a lot of puzzles / dots to connect and everything is covered with magic spooky aura.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunacy_(video_game)

Very recommended. I'd give this game a 10/10 score!

Retro8bit likes this.
  2. Miroku

Miroku Member

Not a Vita title...but I'd love to just mention Fatal Frame 1, 2 & 3. Such classics! Would of been quite something if they ported it on the Vita :)

3. JoSoap

JoSoap Well-Known Member

There’s not many good good horrors on the vita. I can’t recommend Outlast 1&2 enough though. Amnesia the Dark Descent is awesome too. I don’t really find old games that scary unfortunately

4. alf

alf Active Member

Fatal Frame is really scary indeed. I have already completed the first two entries on the Xbox and also Fatal Frame IV Lunar Mask on Nintendo Wii. Highly recommended (if you are brave enough) (^_^)

5. Calamity

Calamity Well-Known Member

I like scary games for which you don't necessarily have to turn off the lights, mainly because I get migraines easily and I try to be kind to my eyes. :p

The game that scared me the most has to be Project Zero II: Crimson Butterfly, although I think I'm too cynical nowadays to take a game seriously where you blast ghosts with a camera. :p I'm more into psychological horror, like the (early) Silent Hill games and Eternal Darkness, so if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears. :)

6. alf

alf Active Member

Calamity:
    Try Deadly Premonition on the Xbox 360 or PS3.

This is a horror / thriller game in which you become FBI agent Francis York Morgan and your goal is to solve the mystery of the series of murders in the small rural town. This game reminds me of the old-school classics like Silent Hill since it contains very extraordinary atmosphere to it. The controls are a bit like Resident Evil 4. The graphics (and some of the old fashioned mechanics - like driving a car) comes from PS2 era (since originally this game was developed with PS2 in mind) but it doesn't really matter since graphics is acceptable.

In addition - this is an open-world game, which is very unique for the horror games. You can explore the town on your own, talk to the people, take additional side-missions and become familiar with some side stories and legends related to the town. Do i need to add that the main character has an invisible friend which he talks to ? ;)
    Also worth mentioning: if u are familiar with Twin Peaks then this game is definitely for you.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Peaks

Calamity likes this.
  7. Calamity

Calamity Well-Known Member

I've played it, finished it in fact, but I found it more humorous than frightening. :p

8. JoSoap

JoSoap Well-Known Member

I just bought Little Nightmares recently on PC. Definitely has a really unsettling atmosphere, and a decent game too

TheAtom likes this.
  9. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

Does Yomawari: Night Alone count? Man, that game freaked the fucking shit out of me first time I've played it. The fact you're just so useless wasn't just scary, but mostly incredibly stressful. Maybe I'll give it another go for halloween

10. alf

alf Active Member

For real ? I never really took Yomawari seriously, maybe i should give it a chance ? From the very first look on the gameplay it doesn't seem that scary. Maybe the expierence change during the actual gameplay ?

11. TheAtom

Hmmm... It's really dependent on the type of scary it is you're looking for. It's a very different feeling, and I think in some ways perhaps similar to Little Nightmares. The true 'scare' of the game is that you're just a little girl with a flash light, and that leaves you feeling really powerless. You have no gun to shoot, no bat to hit with or anything like that, which I think adds a lot. The visuals are pretty basic, which on the one hand can serve as a turnoff, but I personally think it just stimulates the imagination more, making it all the worse for me personally (it's similar to the 'don't show the horro, just imply it' idea).

12. alf

alf Active Member

Seems interesting. From the good horror i also expect the story to be good and interesting. As far as i know in this game u are wandering through the small town looking for a missing dog ? :p

13. TheAtom

Yep! That's the gist of it. I recommend perhaps reading a review or something to see if it is for you. Horror games aren't really my forte so I'm probably not the best to help you out with this.

14. Lando452

Lando452 Well-Known Member

Play some Outlast on the PC

15. Ficta_Scriptor

Ficta_Scriptor Well-Known Member

Totally agree! The first Yomawari was terrifying, especially those weird things that just sprint at you out of nowhere... :confused: I still haven't played the sequel despite having it on my shelf. (Backlogs, you know how it is)

I considered recommending Corpse Party: Blood Drive on Vita but it's definitely NOT for everyone and has some glaring issues that I think will annoy many gamers. (Still, I was gripped from start to finish and am so glad I played it)

So instead I'll go with Alien Isolation, without a doubt one of the biggest surprises this gen, for me, at least. Do as the game suggests: play it on hard mode and spend the next few days quivering in terror. And remember... "DON'T MAKE A SOUND!!!"

TheAtom likes this.
  16. sean

sean Well-Known Member

Digital from NA PSN Halloween Forever for Vita only cost 5 bucks and is a solid little retro platformer that fits it's price.

Start as a pumpkin spitting candy corn to survive.

Search for secrets to unlock my favorite characters so far quad bone spitting green skelly or Ms Witch and her triple kitty attack.
    Good fun!

Trailer:

TheAtom and zodaex like this.
  17. alf

alf Active Member

Unfortunately i don't play on PC :p

Reminds me of NES era :rolleyes:

Aside from Yomawari and Corpse party, are there any other games with halloween theme on Vita ? I guess another pick may be Danganronpa, especially the Trigger The Happy havoc and V3 Killing Harmony. The first one has a nice eerie atmosphere of the whole abandoned school, which i liked a lot. V3 instead has a whole murder case where the spiritual rituals are being performed (summoning the dead to talk with) :)

18. TheAtom

I haven't played V3 yet, which sounds more halloweenish, but I wouldn't consider 1 to be quite there. Perhaps the Nonary Games would fit better? I don't know, Danganronpa's so colourful.

Ficta_Scriptor what were the issues with Corpse Party? They've been on my wishlist for ages...

19. Ficta_Scriptor

Ficta_Scriptor Well-Known Member

I've only played Blood Drive so I can't comment on the first two games. As far as issues go, there are a few sections that are unwieldy and can lead to annoying deaths, (anyone who played the part with the giant ice cream will know what I'm talking about) you spend most of your time retreading the same areas but with minor changes, (the idea being that the realm you enter warps at certain intervals) the save points can sometimes be every couple of minutes to being miles apart, and the ghost enemies, if they spot you, will follow you to the ends of the earth no matter what, unless you hop in a wardrobe along the way, at which point they give up. Add to that the chibi models are kind of conflicting against the oppressive, dark tone of the school, though that is preferential. It can be unforgiving, and if you miss a crucial item because you didn't examine a particular bookcase you could end up running around, lost. Not to mention if you examine the same items multiple times your character starts to lose their mind...

In terms of the good aspects, I can say that it made my skin crawl more than any horror game I've ever played, and that includes Silent Hill 1+2 and Fatal Frame 2. It's not so much a scary game as it is a game telling a scary story, and it's no so much about scaring you with monsters as it is drumming up horrific scenarios, which it does extremely well. (There are a LOT of bad endings throughout the game, but some of the creepiest moments are completely canon...) There are also visual novel type segments that flesh out certain characters, and are worth watching as soon as you unlock them. Some are taken from much happier times, which is, in a way, much creepier with the knowledge of how things will eventually end up.

The gameplay itself isn't too taxing; watching out for traps including tripwires seems easy at first, but you're guaranteed to get caught out at least a few times once you start getting complacent, and once the game area starts shifting it's easy to get confused and run straight into a bunch of wooden spikes. Walking around the ghostly school, searching for clues, solving puzzles, hiding from enemies and doing your best to avoid death is a pretty tense experience, and those "Eureka!" moments where you finally figure out where to go next are satisfying.

The music is great, (I sometimes listen to the OST in my car... XD) if a little unorthodox for a horror game, eschewing minimalistic wind-blowing and Silent Hill-esque ambience for a more digital soundtrack with a horror flair, but IMO it works really well.

For me, Corpse Party: Blood Drive is an inconsistent game of highs and lows. It's lows truly are awful, and definitely not helped by the game's low budget aesthetic. But the game's highs are excellent, and are what kept me coming back to finish it. Overall I'd give the game a straight 7/10. I can't justify an 8 because it does have significant issues, but given how gripped I was and how glad I am to have played it, I can't justify a 6 either. A few other people on the forum have said it's an 8 or 9 for them, and I can see why. But I can also understand if someone hates it. I guess, in the end, you should give it a go if you love horror.

zodaex, sean and TheAtom like this.
  20. TheAtom

Ficta_Scriptor oh man! That's like an entire review! Thanks a lot! I think I'll start with the PSP games (digitally downloadable for the Vita! Yay!), but that actually sounds like the issues are things I can manage! :D

21. alf

alf Active Member

Before you start the entire Corpse Party series, it's worth mentioning that we have new horror adventure coming to Vita: Death Mark. The release date is actually on the Halloween ^^ Are you guys going for Death Mark ? To be honest - i have high hopes for this title. Waiting with fingers crossed, wishing it to be at least very good ;)

22. Linkx41

Linkx41 The King of Hyrule

PSN ID:
    Linkx41
    I'm now also playing Age of Zombies as well thanks to the recent sale.

23. TheAtom

Oh hell yes! I love the visuals and the little bit of flashlight waving gameplay seems to fit the setting really well. Waiting for the pre orders for an official physical EU release with part of the game (some sort of epilogue, supposedly) being DLC

24. alf

alf Active Member

TheAtom it's Aksys behind Death Mark, i wouldn't be so sure about physical EU copy. My advice is: buy US copy just to be sure you have the title and then sleep calmly. Be (positively) surprised when they annouce EU copy and sell the US after that.
    It's also worth mentioning that the game will be available in EU on 31st October via digital purchase, so u can take this path instead :D

25. ninty72

ninty72 Well-Known Member

I'm currently replaying Resistance Retribution ....Well it does have monsters in it ! ;) :)