Support for YouTube and Maps ending

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Yaster, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Yaster

Yaster Well-Known Member

Support for YouTube & Maps apps on PS Vita is ending. Additional information available: http://bit.ly/1LgtHEz & http://bit.ly/1BwHtgM

560359436007784450 is not a valid tweet id

Thoughts on this? Any great loss?

2. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Don't really care about Maps on my Vita, never used it. YouTube is annoying though, I hope that doesn't mean it'll be removed from the Vita?

Edit: Just read the two links posted in the OP, sounds like Maps/Near will be completely stripped out but YouTube wasn't as clear. It implies that the YouTube app will no longer be available for download, but they haven't said what happens if you already have it downloaded. I'm assuming the app will just cease to work.

3. Techup

Techup Well-Known Member

What?! These apps are like, totes the most important thing ever and they're removing them!

/vitadedhaznogaymz

JK. I don't even know wtf maps is and if I want to watch youtube I go to the browser to do it.

4. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    Meh, they should just work on the browser so that the web versions of these things work better instead.

5. Barcellona

Barcellona Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    bskolz1983
    At least a firmware update is coming in March; I hope this will not only include deletion of apps but also new apps or browser improvements.

6. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

I only used Near a few times and even then didn't really understand the point of it or what it was for. Never used the Maps or YouTube apps either.

I guess with the latter 2 it maybe a licensing thing with Google, which Sony can't justify paying anymore for the 0.1% of Vita owners who use them.

7. APA

APA Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    APA_ZAROZO
    I use near a lot. Such a shame... :'(

8. Barcellona

Barcellona Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    bskolz1983
    I suppose Near item exchange will still work - to people in your friends list, not neighbours anymore.
    Bigger problem is: Just a few games ever used near, and fewer of them in a good way.
    Little Big Planet and Smart As challenges for example seemed good to me; exchange of useless items not that much.
    A problem in some games was also that you actively had to upload to near - for example Soul Sacrifice.
    3DS does this a lot better, for example by special games being played with people you pass (Streetpass).
    Sony had a lot of good ideas for Vita, Near could have been one, but Sony commits too many errors - one of them was
    the announcements of the app deletion today; the news should have been:
    "Vita community - a new firmware update will roll out in March, you get the following new features: ...
    Features that are leaving due to licensing issues are: Youtube app and Maps
    Youtube can be seen in our web browser, which will be updated with the firmware, and Near will still be usable
    with people on your friends list - try it on March with our free "Come Nearer" game"
    :D

9. Murphy

Murphy Founder Staff Member

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    Near is a shame, it had great potential but was never really used that much. Not fussed about Youtube or Maps in the slightest, but can understand where some might be disappointed.

10. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

See, that's what I was wondering RE: Smart As. If the challenges stop working does that mean its impossible to platinum the game as part of the game would become unusable? That'd be a pity as the challenge part of the game is a really fun part of the game for me (glad I finished the game off earlier in the month...)

11. TalllPaul

TalllPaul Active Member

I rarely use near or maps but it is a shame about YouTube, if it just drops support but keeps it available I don't mind so much but if it blocks it from working it is a real shame.

Stryfe likes this.
  12. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

Music Unlimited is also shutting down shop and Sony's replacement service hasn't been announced for Vita.

If you ever needed proof that Vita's end is ne@r ...

13. Karl Smith

Karl Smith #supersmith2500

PSN ID:
    supersmith2500
    This is the problem. SCEA and SCEE does not seem to care about their handheld anymore. Why, Because they are too busy focusing with the PS4 ditching the Vita in the process. It's sad.

14. Davinci

Davinci Member

What annoys me the most is that its like this has never happened for Sony, the Vita is treated like a ghost, like there arent people who care and they dont even give explanations or say they are trying to do something about it.

Barcellona likes this.
  15. DanTheManIAm

DanTheManIAm Member

PSN ID:
    DanTheManIAm
    I'm glad to see Maps and Near go. Email and calender might as well go with them. The YouTube app is too bad though. I used it a lot and trying YouTube out on the browser just now doesn't seem as easy to use. Oh well. Its not the end of the world.

16. Americo

Americo Member

PSN ID:
    eternal_76
    Near never lived up to the potential that Friend Pass on the 3DS has. Which is a shame, I really wanted it to work. It was one of the only reasons why I took the Vita with me even though I wasn't going to play it.

Maps was a novelty and it's a shame that the YouTube app is getting nixed.

All in all, Sony keeps leaning for the Vita to be more like the Nintendo game pad and less like its own device.

17. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo Well-Known Member

Maps and near make sense to me but youtube seems lazy. I guess coding it to run html5 is top much work but shows a lack of support...

Murphy and Hana like this.
  18. Hana

Hana Well-Known Member

Yeah. this is kinda sad. I didn't care for maps or near

19. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

That's a great news, I don't really care about them cause I even don't use them.

20. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

I think this should be bad news in all ways for Vita owners. It's effectively an admission that the Vita is not a high priority (which we already kinda knew) and that Sony aren't really going to be putting anything behind it.

21. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

Yes, it's great news that Sony won't even do some basic app development ...

PixelKnot likes this.
  22. Murphy

Murphy Founder Staff Member

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    Unfortunately, business is business and if they haven't got/aren't prepared to spend the resources required to support these features then they ultimately will remove them. Only Youtube is really a blow, and it's still available via the browser.

It doesn't bode well for this EU Netflix app though. But hey, it's a games machine first right? And we all have phones for music/youtube/maps and so on, right? ;)

Stryfe likes this.
  23. Pata

Pata Well-Known Member

The problem here is that the money that Sony will no longer be paying to Google as license fees it will not be used to fund newer Vita titles, and that's the sad thing.

24. alejo81

alejo81 Active Member

if they drop support for the flikr app i will get mad =/

xtemma likes this.
  25. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Ah man, I've been aching for a Netflix app as well! Agreed on the whole though, Vita is a games machine first - the worrying thing is Sony isn't exactly even getting behind it as a games machine!