The Life & Death of the Sega Dreamcast

Discussion in 'Other Gaming Discussion' started by Ghost of Arcadia, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Ghost of Arcadia

Ghost of Arcadia Member

"The Know" posted this yesterday of the history of Sega's last home console and what happened:

So many fond memories of the Dreamcast. I used to play a lot of Soul Calibur, Dynamite Cop, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Dead or Alive 2 and more back in the day. IMO what hurt the Dreamcast was Sega's past hardware reputation in the mid 90's with the Sega CD, 32X, Saturn as well as Sony's PS2 being around the corner.

I did love the "It's Thinking" commercial since it looked futuristic. It was an underappreciated console that Sega got it right with cheap manufacturing cost, easy to develop for and great port of arcade games. It had great library of fighting games.

I still have my Dreamcast and about 12 games and all still works. :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  2. samus1818

samus1818 Member

I still have a Dreacast! I'm giving older games a chance :) The gamers that play really old games inspired me to go back in time. After many years (wow, I think like 13 years) I finally found the name of the DC RPG that I was looking for-Evolution & Evolution 2. How did I finally discover it? I bought other DC games at a garage sale, and there was an advertisement for the RPG I was looking for on the manual. :p Funny how things will just pop out of nowhere after a very long time LOL

3. DankZaku

DankZaku Well-Known Member

I still play my DC lol. Finally got a copy of Sturmwind indie release recently with they did the re print. Very nice shmup. So many classic on the system. Shenmue, SoA, PSO (first, and best, online game I ever played) Jet Grind Radio, Berserk Guts Rage, SF: Third Strike, Soul Calibur, Powerstone, House of the Dead 2, Seaman, the list just goes on and on. First console I ever bought with my own money too. I worked/saved for months leading up to the release. 9-9-99 will be a day I remember for life.

zodaex likes this.
  4. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

Dreamcast has so much awesome games to play on, it's so sad it didn't get the attention is deserved (just like the Vita)

Only thing I never liked about the Dreamcast are the games cases used for PAL games, they break quite easily just like the PS1 ones.

[​IMG]

Our small DC collection (that white disk is DreamOn btw)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    DankZaku and zodaex like this.
  5. Ghost of Arcadia

Ghost of Arcadia Member

Nice! Here's mine:

[​IMG]

I have WWF Royal Rumble somewhere but couldn't find it. The one next to Resident Evil: Code Veronica to the left is the demo disc and to the right is loose copies of Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1 and Crazy Taxi that I bought for super cheap years ago. My favorite RPG on the system is Skies of Arcadia and love Soul Calibur, Dynamite Cop and Shenmue.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    DankZaku and zodaex like this.
  6. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

I own a Dreamcast now, and quite regret not getting one while it was a current system. I actually had 100% planned to buy one, and even laboriously saved up enough money to buy one in full. My plan was to buy one as soon as Half-Life and Castlevania Ressurection were both available to buy, however tragically both games were cancelled and never (officially) released. This was a deal breaker for me and between that and the hype for the upcoming Metal Gear Solid 2 I ended up skipping the Dreamcast.

7. Ghost of Arcadia

Ghost of Arcadia Member

MetalJesusRocks posted this video today of the Sega Dreamcast Buying Guide & recommended game. Love seeing Skies of Arcadia game on the thumbnail. :D

8. Renegade Bastard

Renegade Bastard Well-Known Member

A new ish Sega Dreamcast game released in 2013 that seems to be pretty cool looking. A shoot 'em up game!

STURMWIND (Sega Dreamcast) - Developed by Duranik and Published by RedSpotGames on April 24th, 2013.