The PS Vita TV & My Thoughts on the System

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by heleius, Feb 13, 2014.

1. heleius

heleius New Member

Hey guys, I thought you'd like to check out my (non hacking) article on the Vita TV, it is rather large and has pictures to reenforce some ideas, so here is the link. The PS Vita TV and How Sony Screws It's Most Loyal Fans. Let me know what you think! :)

EDIT: If linking like this isn't allowed, I'm sorry, I'm new here, and I will copy and paste the entire article from the other site.

2. akhi216

akhi216 Well-Known Member

Yeah I read up on the Vita TV and the region lock and it is the only rrason I did not import it.

3. Murphy

Murphy Founder Staff Member

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    The region locking is a massive deterrent for many importing and it probably is best for those thinking about importing it for remote play et al wait and see whether we get a western announcement, but it is strange that they region locked it when the Vita itself is not.

4. heleius

heleius New Member

It is such a shame, such wasted potential. If Sony just did what they advertised and promised they would virtually wipe out all competitors. Rather, all we get is lies broken promises and features taken away. It's been a run on joke with Sony ever since they disabled OtherOS on the PS3

5. heleius

heleius New Member

Exactly. And they are locking out new US games too. Shuhei Yoshida, President of Worldwide Studios stated that they would never region lock their hardware back when the PS4 was announced. Just goes to show more you can't believe a word of what PlayStation promises. I know this isn't a hacking forum and I'm not talking about how to hack the Vita, but the reason we haven't seen a firmware update since 3.01 back in the beginning of December is because the Vita's PSP emulator got hacked. The hack uses essential call functions that would make it impossible for Sony to patch. It wouldn't shock me one bit if Sony completely removed the PSP emulator from the Vita's firmware to disable the hack in the next system update. It's the same reason they said they would never remove OtherOS from the PS3, then 3 months later, they removed it.

6. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

At risk of going off-topic... I think there's a massive difference between removing Other OS from the PS3 (minor 'feature' which nobody really used aside for doing stuff with their PS3 that Sony would rather they didn't) and PSP emulation from the Vita (Key feature, source of new revenue, high proportion of uses make use of it). Can't see that every happening TBH

On topic - Region locking the Vita TV is both odd and extremely annoying. I can see them launching it on the US/Europe later this year or in early 2015 badged as a PS Now streamer.

xtemma likes this.
  7. heleius

heleius New Member

Off Topic: I'm sorry to disagree, but I think calling OtherOS a "minor feature nobody really used aside for doing stuff with their PS3 that Sony would rather they didn't" is absolutely ludicrous. The only way I was able (and not just myself, EVERYONE I know that bought aPS3 at launch up to OtherOS was removed, the price dropped to $300 bucks and the slim model was released) to justify the $600 price tag was due to the fact that the PS3 wasn't released as simply a games console, it was released as a computer. It WAS a machine that not only played your PS1, PS2 and PS3 game, but also a fully functioning Linux computer. Now I understand that most kids today don't even know what Linux or Unix is, (for those of you that don't know, Unix is an open source operating system for computers, Linux is a distribution of Unix, and is 1000 times better than any crap micro$haft has ever released) but the fact was the PS3 was released as a game console AND computer. You could boot OtherOS and run Firefox, play Linux games, get email, you know all the stuff you do with your Windows computer, only it wasn't filled with viruses, malware and spyware because it is actually a GOOD operating system. I don't care how you want to slice it but the PS3's $600 price tag was because it wasn't just a game system, it was a computer as well, up to par with other computers being released at the same time for around the same price, OtherOS wasn't a 'minor feature' back then it was one of the PS3's MAJOR selling points, and for most people the only way to justify the $600 price. Sony swore up and down that they would never remove this MAJOR feature. But as you mentioned, a few (I'm talking like 2-3%) of users were poking around in places Sony didn't want them to (and if Sony actually implemented decent security and used random numbers when they were supposed to be used those 2-3% of users wouldn't have found ANYTHING useful anyway) so Sony removed this MAJOR feature, the ability to use your PS3 as a computer.

Fast forward to today. One of the Vita's MAJOR selling points is it's PSP emulator. Now a small number of users (again probably like 2-3%) are poking around in places where Sony doesn't want them to. If you honestly think for a SECOND that Sony wouldn't pull PSP support (they can and you agreed to let them do it in the TOS) you are sorely mistaken. The PSP emulator was one of the biggest selling points of the Vita (not to mention PSN sales of PSP games for the Vita kept the system alive for the first year of its' life) just like OtherOS was one of the biggest selling points of the PS3. If the PSP emulator leads to a system hack that enables piracy and the mass uploading and downloading of Vita iso files on torrent sites (and I hope to god it doesn't) I would bet EVERY PENNY I WILL EVER EARN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE that the PSP emulator gets yanked and Sony will say "hey we said we reserved the right to remove system features in the TOS, and that's what we are doing" and there won't be a thing you can do about it. In the TOS you agreed to, you waived your right to sue Sony in such an event.

On Topic: The region locking is more than annoying, it is downright bull$&)t. And as cool as it would be to see a US/EU launch, even if just for PS Now streaming, it probably won't happen. If PS Now takes off, Sony will want to sell more expensive hardware to use it, and if it flops (which I personally think it will due to lag issues and the fact that most people with a Vita or PS4, already own a PS3 so why pay money to stream games when you can buy the same games used at Gamestop for dirt cheap) we still won't be seeing a VitaTV release in the west. I hope Sony listens to its consumers and releases the VitaTV with all it's features enabled in the West, but IMHO at the rate things are going I don't think it will happen...

8. clemyeats

clemyeats Member

PSN ID:
    clemyeats
    No no no... Unix is a family of proprietary and commercial operating systems typically run in corporate environments. Linux is an open-source kernel. GNU/Linux distributions provide free and open-source operating systems. They dominate the server market and represent roughly 2% of the home PC market. Although GNU/Linux was inspired from Unix and inherits many concepts of traditional Unix systems, it is not Unix. It's worth mentioning that "GNU" stands for "GNU IS NOT UNIX".

Back to topic... I don't think Sony will remove PSP support any time soon. Just imagine the number of customers asking for their money back. Sony isn't just supporting PSP, they're selling PSP games digitally to people RIGHT NOW. In fact, they're having a sale right at the moment which includes PSP titles. I just got Monster Hunter from it, I'm pretty sure I'd want my money back if they were selling something that doesn't work...