Official Topic The Vita Lounge Magazine Feedback - Issue 6 Available to Patrons!

Discussion in 'Rules, Announcements, Feedback, & Competitions!' started by Hana, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Murphy

Murphy Founder Staff Member

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    The first issue will definitely be A4. The aim is to continue this, but it depends on how viable it will be. :)

Fokkusu likes this.
  2. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Honestly can't wait to get my hands on the magazines. When do you reckon you'll be shipping copies out?

3. Murphy

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    Deadline for content is early April, print turnaround is 4 days then posting. I should be sending it out mid-April and obviously depending on where you live in the world will affect when you receive it. :)

Stryfe likes this.
  4. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Sweet! Are they being posted from the UK?

5. Murphy

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    They are. :)

Stryfe likes this.
  6. Mr Tornado

Mr Tornado Well-Known Member

Just pledged $10.00. Looking forward to the magazine. :)

Murphy likes this.
  7. Murphy

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    Thanks dude, it's really appreciated.

We have locked down issue one now, any pledges made after this point will only take effect from the second issue. :)

8. Mr Tornado

You're welcome. :) Just made it in time for the first issue! I think I left it so late is because Patreon is 100% new to me (though I've used Kickstarter lots of times) so I was a little unsure of how it worked.

What happens when you do Issue 2 & costs have perhaps increased? Does the $10.00 per magazine increase automatically?

9. Murphy

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    I'll discuss future plans long before anyone gets charged. :)

As it stands, this edition is going to cost me money purely because I massively underestimated the postage costs, but I expected to lose money on the first issue or two anyway. It might have to go up a little bit next time, but nobody will be charged before and will have plenty of time to consider their options.I'm hoping that the combination of the print edition and the reaction to it, along with hopefully a good circulation of the digital version will get more people interested. The Vita is a niche system and magazines are a struggling format but somehow the two seem to fit together, at least to me. I'm happy to try this for at least two or three issues, if it is cost effective and there is demand then we will carry on. :)

10. Mr Tornado

Ah, right. Didn't realise you'd be at a loss. :( Hope it's not too much.

11. Fokkusu

Fokkusu The orginal fox

PSN ID:
    Joeow
    The postage did just increase today too! Not that it applies to me, but would it be possible for people in the future to get physical copies?

12. Murphy

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    Absolutely. The way the Patreon works for paid content is that people will only get charged every time I post a creation, so anyone that pledges now that I have posted will get the next creation.

13. comeoutpunching

comeoutpunching Well-Known Member

Just want to say that the preview looked great and I can't wait to slide this out of my mailbox and soak it in. Excited to support this project- well done!

Murphy likes this.
  14. radmiralackbar

radmiralackbar Active Member

Are there still copies of Issue one available?

EDIT: Yep, just pledged $10.00. I will be more than happy to pay extra for shipping to AUS. PM if you like and I can pay through paypal .

How often do you think a zine will be released?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  15. Murphy

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    Hey, thanks for the pledge - issue one has already been charged so the order was submitted for those and there is no way to add others. If you want the first issue I may be able to help still, do you want me to send a PM?

:)

As regards to the frequency, that spends on what people want, and what we can fit into an issue. It also depends on the viability of postage/costs. At these levels and that $10 pledge level, this will cost me money, but I expected that for the first issue or two. I have massively underestimated postage charges.

I'm looking at the next issue being ready in June, covering April/May.

16. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

It's not unusual for a Patreon (or Kickstarter usually) to charge for postage costs on top of the original pledge. That may be a way to go about it, so the main pledge can then be used towards the printing.

Murphy likes this.
  17. Murphy

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    That might be a good idea.

18. radmiralackbar

radmiralackbar Active Member

Yes, please send a PM. If possible some way I would still like to get a copy of Issue one.

Sounds good, as said before I am more than willing to pay extra for shipping, personally I don't think the pledge should include shipping costs.

Murphy likes this.
  19. bloodraider132

bloodraider132 Well-Known Member

looks really good i might get one next time :D

Murphy likes this.
  20. PixelKnot

PixelKnot Well-Known Member

Since I recently just read the first issue, I have written my overall impressions and thoughts on it.
    Hiding under an spoiler for people who have yet to get their physical copy.

Murphy likes this.
  21. Barcellona

Barcellona Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    bskolz1983

Murphy likes this.
  22. Murphy

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, keep it coming!

Oh, and ahem.

589063423620751362 is not a valid tweet id

Thanks for your comments!

Some feedback for you:

Once the magazine is released officially we will be able to collate all of the likes and dislikes and act accordingly. It's worth pointing out that we are an enthusiast site, and not an official publication. We are fans, doing something for other fans, and this was the first attempt. :)

Thanks Pixel, it means a lot. We will have a least one interview per issue, and all future interviews will launch first in the magazine.

23. Barcellona

PSN ID:
    bskolz1983
    Another idea for future issues: Kickstarter Corner
    Kickstarter has become an important source of upcoming psvita games!
    Titles as Liege, Mighty No9, Phoenix Project are on their way and it would be interesting to know about their development.
    I recently backed for the first time on Kickstarter, 2 upcoming psvita games: Strength of the Sword Ultimate and Children of Morta :)

And well for the technical corner the current 'hot' topic: 30% more ram by firmware 3.50!
    Other interesting topics: qHD resolution (and its effects on hardware intensity vs 720p f.ex.), 3G vs 4G on Vita online gaming, etc.

Murphy likes this.
  24. Murphy

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    http://en.calameo.com/read/004256142f68815403d87

The first issue is now available to everyone! We hope you enjoy it! I want your feedback though, good and bad. It will all help with making tweaks, we are already working on slight changes to the score box and review layout for issue two. :)

• Kickstarter Corner - great idea but not particular effective in a retrospective magazine other than to tell you what's coming. If we were monthly and could go to print at the start of the month, then we could react whilst campaigns are live. We have reached out to many devs, including Concept but they don't always respond.
    • Technical Corner - again a great idea, but I'm not sure how effectively we could write about it. We don't have a devkit Vita and aren't Digital foundry so can't really write too much with any real evidence to report. :)

25. Barcellona

PSN ID:
    bskolz1983
    Well, that Kickstarter idea could be an article for one issue and not a standard category.
    I think it would be interesting to read about those games that already came to Vita by help of Kickstarter and which games
    are in development (and coming thanks to kickstarter).
    Generally, how much money is needed for a videogame? 2D, 3D? Localization? Voice over?

The interview, Minecraft and the upcoming games section were fun to read in issue 1 - should be more to come. :)

Murphy likes this.