Official Topic The Vita Lounge Magazine Feedback - Issue 6 Available to Patrons!

Discussion in 'Rules, Announcements, Feedback, & Competitions!' started by Hana, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

Having just read through the magazine for the first time (I was waiting for the print copy,) I'd say it's quite good. I don't really know what suggestions I could offer to improve it, as I am no creative superpower. What I would have liked to see more of though, is perhaps a more detailed exploration of upcoming titles. Or maybe a release calendar for everything that's got a set date - as the list of games with tentative release dates is quite daunting. I'd much rather simply open the magazine than brave the perilous waters of IGN and its ilk only to get a semi-complete, poorly presented release schedule (seriously this is the thing that apparently no site can do well.) Game release dates are often subject to change however, so I can see that not being something you'd want to include in Print. Actually, you could consider that a suggestion to include something of the sort on the main site too. Kyle's list is great, but in desperate need of filters, xD

JhoCarneiro and Murphy like this.
  2. Murphy

Murphy Founder Staff Member

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    Unfortunately, Vita game release dates are very difficult to pin down, especially digital only indie releases. Typically, certification can be between a week to three if there are no issues or backlogs although it can be more, and getting developers to reveal these sort of things to us is harder than getting blood out of a stone. For example, we know that New 'n' Tasty is close, but how close, or whether it is in certification is a mystery. On the other hand, I know that Steins; Gate is currently in certification but cannot lock a proper date down.

I would love to have a full list though, and you would think that developers/publishers would want this too. I think it might be connected to SCE though, with them liking to announce shit on the blog.

Glad you enjoyed the magazine though, hopefully you will enjoy #2 even more :)

3. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

That might explain why all the major sites offer such poor options for getting a look at release windows. Ah I may as well just draw up my own calendar, Heh.

Murphy likes this.
  4. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

One possible way to counter that is to just use time windows, e.g. Fall 2015. I've seen that quite often even on other console magazines or PC games when the release date is uncertain or too far away in the future.

Murphy likes this.
  5. Murphy

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    We have just launched issue two exclusively for Patreon supporters!

https://www.patreon.com/TheVitaLounge?ty=a

The issue will launch to all next week, in the meantime it's just for Patrons. If you want early access you can support us for as little as $1 for early access or you can even get a full size premium copy posted to your door!

Until it launches please keep any discussion in spoiler tags. What do you think of the magazine?

Once again, thanks to JhoCarneiro for turning the awesome content from the TVL team to life so beautifully :)

Barcellona, Stryfe, Pata and 2 others like this.
  6. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

Just downloaded issue 2 yesterday, will read it over the next few days and give my feedback. :)

Murphy and JhoCarneiro like this.
  7. Murphy

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    Issue Two is now available to everyone!

Reader version; http://en.calameo.com/read/004256142daa5cf850741
    Download links; http://thevitalounge.net/magazine/

Please let us know what you think! We have taken on board all of your feedback and have more unique content, a refined design and a better all-round look.

I *should* be getting the print versions either today or tomorrow and they will be posted out ASAP. :)

8. TEKTORO

TEKTORO Well-Known Member

What an issue, amazing job and looks much improved. Definitely on the right path with the mag, its niche, pure quality filled with great reading and pictures. Can't wait to read it again, so much info! Thanks!!

Kyle, Murphy and JhoCarneiro like this.
  9. Stryfe

Stryfe Well-Known Member

When will the physical copies be sent out?

10. Murphy

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    They arrived today, so between today and tomorrow. All of the UK ones have already gone, I'm writing up the EU and NZ/Aus ones now. NA after. All will have shipped within 24 hours of me receiving them. :)

Stryfe likes this.
  11. Mr Tornado

Mr Tornado Well-Known Member

12. TEKTORO

TEKTORO Well-Known Member

Now that I had a chance to read through again (said I would) I have some positive feedback and a suggestion. First and foremost like to reiterate best issue to date ( even if it's only the 2nd issue), as I absorb all the quality and hard work I'm excited for you guys putting out a really good magazine which is ballsy being dedicated to a single fan base (risking your time and money) thanks for that!

So man starting with the cover, one of my favorite parts to a magazine. I like when it's a game that has beautiful art and could make a statement for what lies within the issue. Especially like when there is a feature article inside covering the game in more detail. Broken Age wasn't even on my radar but I think now I needs me this game.

Developer interviews are excellent keeping fans in touch with the people that make these games. Often after reading I wanna support the developers, even more now knowing their stories, backgrounds and quirks. Luckily this months guys I had already had their games purchased, but I must admit I appreciate Steam World Dig more.

New & Tasty Developer Diaries, it would be great to continue these types of articles in the future as it can be like pulling teeth when getting our latest factual information. (none better than the horses mouth!) I got New & Tasty with PS+ On PS4 with the DLC and I can't wait to purchase it for the Vita, hats off to them for bring back Oddworld at its best.

The game reviews as always are really well done by all the guys, and you really do cover ALOT of games. In fact you probably could get away with trimming a review or two and save them for future issues.

What to do with those couple of pages? why not expand on the Import reviews, throw 1 or 2 more in there. I'm not one to go and import in a hurry, but definitely love knowing what is out there thanks to the Gundam article.

My 2 favorite parts of all.... (1) The developer Top Ten, please have this every month if possible, I need to know what inspires these talented people, on top of knowing what I need to go buy next! Lol
    (2) Center page Hot Ten.. You guys are evil for putting so many tempting, not in our hands yet games on these two pages. I drooled over most of it, especially RE revelations pic as I just bumped a thread couple days prior to the mag.. On a good note Hot Ten is like that sexy centerfold you don't wanna be caught looking at with your pants down and you don't wanna be disturbed either. Lol

Last but not least my actual suggestions, the game directory which shows best games thus far, would you consider expanding it to have/show past review scores (Texted based would be fine)?

And with the death of PS Mobile on the horizon (July 15th) would it be proper to have a small section highlighing it's short brief history on Vita. There is this developer TACS Games/ Thomas Hopper who makes THEE Best PSM games imo and I feel it is ashame he is little known but really put out some special titles on this format. Would love to read an interview on this guy such as some of his favorite PS Mobile titles and if he would make the cross over to making PS minis or Vita games using Unity engine or UE4 once armature codes it?

Far fetched I'm guessing, thanks for listening to this really long post!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    Stryfe, JhoCarneiro and Murphy like this.
  13. B91212R

B91212R Active Member

Wow, thank you so much for all the effort and hard work in putting the magazine together. I've not read it cover to cover yet (digitally) so to speak but I did spent 15 minutes causally reading sections last night and will be supporting you in one way or another through patreon. I just need to decide weather to stick with digital or my usual preferred physical route (with additional overseas postage above the $10 of course if I'm reading it right).

14. Murphy

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    Thanks for the kind words! Whatever support you want to give will be appreciated. The $10 option will result in a smaller sized magazine, $15 is for the full size. Both include shipping so nothing else on top. Of course there are lower options to get it earlier digitally or download it early if you would prefer. Even just reading it makes what we do worthwhile, so thank you.

And thank you all!

15. Fokkusu

Fokkusu The orginal fox

PSN ID:
    Joeow
    Suggestion:
    For postage use the cardboard envelopes? Rather than the plastic bags. Not sure how viable this would be for price but it would help them survive the post.
    Issue 2 looks sicks!

16. Murphy

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    I can look into card, but that's all cost. Plus, if the prick who delivers it wants to bend it when it has "DO NOT BEND" on it, he will do it with a card packet too.

You'd think it was obvious...

Cheers for the kind words dude. :)

Fokkusu likes this.
  17. Mr Tornado

Mr Tornado Well-Known Member

New arrival!

[​IMG]

Murphy and JhoCarneiro like this.
  18. VietLe

VietLe Well-Known Member

I still don't think the black color of the hot 10 page is a good choice. Maybe a dark gray would be more easy on the eye.

But damn, that stein; gate picture is sooo good.

Fokkusu I think the plastic bag is still fine. Most magazines are delivered in plastic bag anyway.

19. comeoutpunching

comeoutpunching Well-Known Member

Got the latest and really enjoyed it. I actually prefer the new form factor. It is even more analogous to the Vita - small, independent, and alive thanks to rabid fans :)

JhoCarneiro and Murphy like this.
  20. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

My only real complaint at this point isn't with the magazine, but international shipping speeds. This would not be as much of a problem if I didn't arbitrarily force myself to wait for the print version instead of taking a peak at the online version. It would also help if I didn't live in the middle of nowhere... or rather, in an empty centre surrounded by a of a bunch of somewheres - not unlike a doughnut or bagel. Wait, does that mean I live in a Timbit?

Murphy likes this.
  21. B91212R

B91212R Active Member

This is the reason why I'm reluctantly switching to digital even though I much prefer physical magazines. I've swapped to digital for Game Informer because by the time my local EB Games receive it (if at all) it's already been out 3 weeks in the U.S. I ended up subscribing to TVL in digital format because of the long shipping times to where I live.

I still get the physical version of Edge magazine as the 2 year subscription was a gift. I love reading it but the postage from the UK to Canada means it can be out of date before it arrives. For example I received the 2015 E3 predictions edition the week after E3 had done!

22. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

I don't mind the wait for this magazine since nothing it covers is really affected by timing - or at least so far that I've read, since I'm still waiting for issue 3 (I expect it today or tomorrow.) The stuff that needs to be current in order to be relevant is stuff I generally don't care about - conference predictions/recaps, stuff pertaining to current events, etc.

Part of the reason I like this site so much is the complete absence of journalistic crap that other sites fall victim to - so I will continue to throw some money their way as long as they stay that way. Some of the articles other sites think are fit to publish are utterly worthless drivel.

Also, always nice to see other Canadians around. Sometimes it feels like we're an endangered species on the internet. (There's a fair number on this forum though.)

Murphy, B91212R and Kyle like this.
  23. B91212R

B91212R Active Member

In hindsight I agree that this magazine isn't one that is as date sensitive as some. I guess I'm just getting impatient as I get older! I certainly agree about the low standard of the majority of the gaming press and do find this site a refreshing alternative in that sense. Also agree about the TVL magazine being worth parting with some of my hard earned cash (year, right) for.

I'm not actually Canadian (well on paper I am I suppose) but originally from the UK. Came out to work about 8 years ago and never went back or moved on. Lived abroad in a few different places growing up (Dads job). Happy to call Canada home.

Murphy and Curtis like this.
  24. Murphy

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    For those of you that are Patrons you can get access to Issue 4 now! Simply head over to our Patreon Page to view or download it!

Within 48 pages it has 14 reviews, including cover title The Swindle and FOUR great developer features, including Teslagrad coders Rain Games, Behind the Stone and more!

If you are not a Patron you can get early access for with $1 or $2.50! Or you could just wait until next week. Depends if you think we are worth it I guess!

You can also pledge $10 per issue and get a copy delivered to your door...

On that note you can grab back issues of Issue 3 (or buy Issue 4) via our new shop!

Kyle likes this.
  25. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

My copy of the third issue only just arrives and you're dangling the fourth in front of me only hours later? That's tantamount to cruelty!

On a side note, Patreon is going to ruin me - I want to give all of my money away.

Murphy likes this.