The Vita's Reputation in 2016

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by RoboAddy, Jan 27, 2016.

1. RoboAddy

RoboAddy Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    RoboAddy
    I'm sorry if this post is a bit janky and lacking in context, it was originally going to be a reply to a comment in another thread but I though hey why not make a topic on it.

I've noticed a lot of resentment towards Vita when Sony mentions it.
    People on Twitter saying any mention of Vita at E3 is a "waste", people in the PS Blog jumping on people and attacking complaining about the lack of a Vita version for new game announcements (I've seen the term "vitawhiners" thrown around), the popular opinion on YouTube about the Vita is that it's dead.

It seems like the only people who actually support the Vita are sites like this and strangely enough, IGN and Kinda Funny games (at least in podcasts).

Podcasts I listen to like the Game Informer Show, and Rebel FM, often show disgust toward the Vita and sometimes even go so far as to recommend an iPad or 3DS over the Vita.

Whenever a feature of is announced to be removed from the Vita (Google Maps, Facebook), which is in most cases a positive for the system (less bloat = more resources for devs), people use the comments sections of these articles, or share them on social media/forums and use it as an opportunity to speak out about how dead the Vita is (yeah guys, continued software support totally means it's dead, guys!).

There's videos like Extra Credits' "Why The Vita Failed", which was published in early 2014 when the Vita was going strong with tens and tens of localisation announcements and high-profile indie games.
    This isn't the only example and when you actually watch videos like this, they phrase it as if indie games "don't count" and localisations don't exist and go ahead to cite the 3DS' first party support as a "good example", where in reality the Vita is absolutely drowning in new games and the 3DS gets a trickle of maybe 3-5 decent games in a year.

Ok, steering back away from console war territory again;
    Why is the Vita seen this way? Sony tried to re-market the Vita with the Slim, the public spat on them for it.
    The same happened with the Vita TV before Sony downgraded it to a PS4 accessory.

Yes there was a few missteps early on, but was it really enough to warrant all this seething hate?

tl;dr why ppl hate duh viter?

PixelKnot, RK128 and Hayase like this.
  2. Miguel

Miguel Well-Known Member

Pretty much the internet being itself. Sadly many people, for some strange reason, hate Sony for having a handheld, the pure existence of the vita is an insult, the market was a nintendo thing and it should continue being. This ofcourse is ediotic, but they hold on to such strengh to it thats incredible, for exemple:
    Many say the PSP was a train wreck vs the DS because of the sales, and the vita is at the same States but the 3ds tries to catch the PSP sales only its not a Fail.
    Another exemple, and this one is easy to find, is future 3ds games, they can name 2 or 3 and thats that, worse is theres not much even getting released for it, everyone pretty much abaddon 3ds, and if you ask what games are worth in the 3ds the reply is "Zelda", its own? No, a rereleased game from the n64.

Sony tried offering everything a gamer could want in the handheld, did they made mistakes? Yeah they did but gamers didnt embrace it anyway.
    Another thing is that if you watch closely those guys must be 25+, aka grow up with nintendo, a great company that now lives in its former shadow, and the youngest generation now doesnt cares about them.
    I seen that video you talked and i got the feelling they didnt do their homework(have you seen theirs about game making? At the end you learn 0) but i disagree a little of the rest, theres hate in those places but its getting shoved to the side by the community (2yr~1.5yr ago was much worse), many news on the PS blog are bombarder by" vita version?" theres an idiot on the middle that opens their mouth but its easily shut, about YouTube i seen much more interess thanks to or kind friends of kinda funny games, i seen many youtubers thanking greg miller for convincing to buy one, and one thing they all say in comun is "its not what i thought" (i still dont understand what they thought a vita was or was like).
    With the Downfall of the 3ds, if the vita is getting older in hardware wise imagine the 3ds, and people and a good handheld, because they dont want to dry up their phone batery or just because touch controls SUCK, the vita is there.
    Also people nos seem to understand what a PSN game is and the vita has tons of it

DankZaku and RoboAddy like this.
  3. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

There is a psychological phenomenon where the more evidence you provide that contradicts a person's belief in something, the stronger their belief will become. This is at least partly why so many people still argue that vaccinations cause autism.

One reason, that is slightly more grey, is that you can't expect people without a Vita to do much research on the subject. It's a little unfair to expect them to stay up to date on it just because the information they're basing their opinions off of may be outdated. Let's be honest - there is information out there (lots of it,) but you have to know exactly where to look.

Another reason is something I can't really say as fact, but from my experience, it's definitely a trend: While there are exceptions, a lot of people stay in their corner of the internet that they've carved out for themselves. The niche that has the same general opinions as they do, where their beliefs are affirmed by the other users and sites they interact with. Why would anyone want to spend their free time reading/watching/listening to a bunch of content that doesn't match their opinions? I don't want to pick on specific sites, but there's one in particular that comes to mind (though the issue in question isn't the Vita.) It's a community that isn't shy about what it likes/dislikes, and Everyone in the comments section is on the exact same wavelength - no one so much as plays devil's advocate, and when there's no one even bothering to argue with you (if you even read responses,) it's easy to understand how your opinions would start to sound more like fact. Then there are the people who intentionally visit sites that enrage them, just so they can spew forth vitriol - probably because they were created by sites and communities where everyone agrees with them and they think they're being righteous.

Also, the Vita simply isn't what people Want it to be. There's minimal western support, most of which comes from indies. That isn't to say that there's anything inherently wrong with that, just that it's not what most people want.

Finally, it's almost certainly a fact that the absolute LAST thing that will ever change someone's mind about literally anything, is a 'discussion' on the internet with a total stranger.

In the end though, its reputation with most people doesn't really matter. They aren't buying Vita games now, nor will they in the future - the Vita doesn't rely on them or their opinions to serve its current market. Maybe you could argue that if they had a more accurate picture of what the Vita had to offer, then it would be a bigger success and have bigger games, but realistically at this point in the game it's pretty much impossible to turn the Vita into a breakout success. The Current Vita caters to a market that's up-to-date and doesn't need to be advertised to much, particularly those fond of Japanese and indie games. That is a small, well informed niche that doesn't really rely on public perception to gauge their purchases (including those still on the fence about buying one.) As long as the Vita harbours good faith with the people who already like it (us,) it should be fine continuing as is.

In short: Don't let it bother you; the best place from which to gaze upon the internet is sat atop an ivory tower. Ah ha, see? I can satirize myself.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  4. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    Bad marketing, the thread.

5. Miguel

Miguel Well-Known Member

This kid was asking for it
    [​IMG]

This is the kind of people that insults or community, some kid who never owned a vita (i checked his profile).

Now, i belive 2016 is going to be a good year for the vita, it started with some good press with the interview of gio Corsi and the cut of facebook had minium impact, theres also some big titles coming to it.

The only thing pushing for it until now was word mouth to mouth and curiosaty, lets see what happens.

Also, what happen to those vita stands on stores?

Flying_Pig likes this.
  6. vita_lover

vita_lover Well-Known Member

This again. Urg........

It is not a secret the Vita didn't sell as well as Sony hoped it would. Now Sony has PlayStation VR to worry about. The VITA does have great games and is inexpensive so many recommend picking it up for that.

However, at this late stage of the game the VITA is what it is - and I don't ever mind owning a system no matter what its sales are if it has good games and the VITA does.

There are 5 VITA games coming out in 2016 that are day one buys for me - so 2016 is going to be a dandy year for me.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    CrucifyingFixture and Miguel like this.
  7. CrucifyingFixture

CrucifyingFixture Member

A biased opinion that is not a fact at all...

8. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

I went in to a local used videogame shop last week and looked around a bit. I didn't see any Vita games so I asked the guy behind the counter if they had any Vita games and he just laughed at me and said not many Vita games are coming out anymore. :/ :/ :/ He laughed at me....

9. Colorado Rockie

Colorado Rockie Well-Known Member

It is what it is. From what I see online most of the Vita bashing comes from Vita-less PS4 owners who also bash the Xbox One and Wii U. I'd go so far as to say that the PS4 trolls are far more annoying than the other systems' trolls combined.

But whatever. I am happy with the support the Vita still gets. We are still getting around 20-25 physical games released in the U.S. a year. And if Limited Run Games continues to secure near monthly releases that should be another 10 or so per year as well. Coupled with the Asian English releases and English-friendly Japanese games, I don't have much to complain about.

Despair, shadowman, DankZaku and 3 others like this.
  10. CrucifyingFixture

CrucifyingFixture Member

We also have some vita bashers here but I won't name them as they do it in secret behind us...

11. Stefarno

Stefarno Well-Known Member

People are always going to trash talk consoles they don't own, it's basically a form of tribalism.

I love my Vita and the games selection - I've probably spent more time on my Vita each year than every other console combined. It's a total shame the extent to which Vita games have collapsed at retail in the last 2 years - even original Wii games outsold Vita games in the UK last year.

CrucifyingFixture likes this.
  12. CrucifyingFixture

CrucifyingFixture Member

GameFAQs vita board is the worse when it comes to that system being mentioned...

13. Rat King 64

Rat King 64 Well-Known Member

There will always be people who have no desire to play games on handheld systems. That is fine. The product is not for everyone.

There will always be people who like to trash anything that is not the product that they personally prefer. I do not see how they gain from that, but whatever.

The comments that I find odd are the ones in which PS4 fanboys are claiming that any money Sony spends on the Vita hurts the PS4 because those funds would be better used to get more content on PS4. For that reason they want Sony to officially kill the Vita and not waste any more time or money on it. That makes no sense. The PS4 is not hurting for content. People can only buy so many games on one system. Getting one or two additional games each year is not going to have a serious impact on PS4 sales. Besides, Sony is not going to ignore a need on the PS4 because they are spending money on a Vita game instead. If they are not producing more PS4 games it is because they do not want to oversaturate their own market.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    Despair, PixelKnot, DankZaku and 3 others like this.
  14. Nonscpo

Nonscpo Well-Known Member

My personal opinion is that there's too much resentment and anger left over by early adopter Vita owners, who only cared about AAA titles, while completely ignoring all the indie and localized titles coming our way. I also think it has to do with the misconception non-Vita owners have, that somehow the Vita is taking away resources from PS4 development. Lastly you have Nintendo loyalist holdouts who have historically gamed on the go with the big N, and never gave Sony a chance with the PSP and certainly not with the Vita. Anyway don't get discouraged, this ride is far from over, as it stands right now I can honestly see 1-2 good years left for the Vita.

Flying_Pig and Miguel like this.
  15. Rat King 64

I think the Vita will have a long tail to its life because Sony will not replace it with anything in the near future. The releases will naturally slow over time, but I think we will still be getting new titles (especially from Japan) 3-4 years from now. As long as there are people supporting the platform there will be new games.

16. Miguel

Miguel Well-Known Member

That is completly right, but i think their hate will only grow, i think many índies will be forced to try the vita, why? Because ps4 whinners are losing more time callung indies crap thank playing games, even with a bigger user base the interess is rising. Also theres more devs getting interessed on the vita every month, we are getting this year bigger games and for some reason angers some.
    Also nintendo is slowing 3ds Support, they are getting fewer games.
    About the early adopters, the vita had one of the best launch games console wise, plenty of AAA, yet the sales were a disgrace, if devs dont make money why make more games

17. samus1818

samus1818 Active Member

I think people just enjoy hating a console. This all reminds of the Wii. I remember people would trash the Wii as a waste of time, even though there are great games for the Wii. Personally, I still have so many more games lined up for it! There was this notion that you needed great graphics to have a great game (not true). For me personally, I thought there were a lot of my Wii games that were better than my 360 games.
    The weird thing now, is that things are reversed with the Vita. It is a handheld that is much more stronger than its competition, and we're seeing people turning against it, well, in the U.S., they're turning against it. In Japan, I've read that it's doing much better there :D More vita games are released in Japan than in the U.S. It just sucks that stores don't advertise it more; I've made it my personal mission to play my Vita in public so I could help it out a bit :D

18. Rat King 64

I finally read Curtis's response above (I didn't have time the first time through this thread). It is bang on.

We can all go round and round about what could have been if the Vita was more popular, but the fact is that the Vita is doing just fine in the niche that it has carved out for itself. It is profitable for Sony and profitable for the developers who support it. Those of us who support it love it to death. There are lots of great games already released and lots more to come. If other people do not see the value in it, that is their loss.

19. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo Well-Known Member

I keep playing my Vita for the great Vita and Indie games and still touch my PSP and PS1 collection from time to time. Best handheld I have ever own and once my launch model craps outs, I'll invest is a 2000 model.

The Vita market will never grow again I feel but the niche market is just fine.

20. SunnyWindy

SunnyWindy Well-Known Member

When I started being interest in vita, everyone told me it was a bad system, lots of crash, corrupted data, lack of support, dead system and you can go on...

When I decided to buy one (a 10 minutes decision, I was in front of the store with my cousin and told myself "why not" and just grabbed it), even the seller tried to tell me not to (Told me it was a dead system, told him I checked the library and what was already out was plenty enough for me) then I came here only to find out that it's not really true?

I have a harder time to keep up with vita releases than I have with my 3DS, no joke.

On 3DS, I get one game every 3-4 months I care about, on vita, well, I can't keep up right now, my backlog is horrible....

DojoDan, Despair and Colorado Rockie like this.
  21. vita_lover

vita_lover Well-Known Member

"On 3DS, I get one game every 3-4 months I care about, on vita, well, I can't keep up right now, my backlog is horrible...."

Owning a 3DS and VITA is easy, much easier than owning a Wii U and a PS4. I also prefer the VITA to the 3DS, but owning both is just plain fun.

22. Lethal

Lethal Well-Known Member

For me the Vita started off so strong with great titles. Killzone shows what the Vita can do and it is impressive. The haters do not hate the Vita itself. They hate the fact that big developers and Sony themselves are not supporting it. That was always the issue with the Vita.

23. zodaex

I disagree. I have seen plenty of haters of the Vita hardware because Sony promised the console experience on the go, yet they missed a huge opportunity to make the Vita's hardware controls in-line with the modern day standards of the consoles. It was baffling for this reason that the Vita didn't have physical L2 and R2 buttons. If they have had the analog shoulder buttons then the experience could have actually been in-line with the consoles, but they totally dropped the ball, hence the justified hate.

I have been a long time player of Need For Speed Hot Pursuit on PS3 and like it a lot for many many reasons. Well two months ago I picked up need for Speed Most wanted on Vita since I wanted to play NFS on my platform of choice. The game suffers badly because of the lack of analog triggers which is really a shame because other than that I find the Vita version very impressive. I'm sure there are many other genres that suffer just as much due to the system's hardware controls and I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of the issue of it not having enough buttons for adequate PS4 remote play.

24. Despair

Despair Member

For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

25. zodaex

I disagree. A reasonable explanation is absolutely within reason. We just need to hear it first.