The_stats_guys sega mega drive challenge

Discussion in 'Other Gaming Discussion' started by The_stats_guy, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

Oh my, my...
    Hadn't seen this thread.

First of all, Model 1 >>>>>>>>> all
    Also get the rgb cable so in case you can't get a hold of a crt tv it won't look like total shit on a lcd

Now, games.
    Seeing the ones you posted I'm gonna recommed some that are great but shouldn't be that expensive, or at least weren't a couple years ago:
    TMNT Hyperstone Heist
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    Light Crusader
    Flicky
    Story of Thor
    Predator 2
    Valis 3 (only genesis but without a region lock)
    Kid Chameleon
    Battletoads
    The Flintstones

If you feel some are too expensive go the reproduction route and check AliExpress, vbu in that case an SD cartridge would be better.

And now, there's two that you should play, even if it's in an emulator:
    Battlemania 2 (japan only but there's an english patch, it's an anime shooter) and Gunstar heroes (the closest thing to metal slug on the system).

DojoDan likes this.
  2. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

Prepare to drop 500+ for Battlemania 2. I so badly want that physical.

3. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

Yeah, game is awesome but expensive as hell as all japan-only shooters :(
    The first one had an US release by Renovation, the same guys that brought Gaiares (also awesome) and the Valis games, but the game, while still great, is nowhere close to the second one. Also the cover is hideous.

4. The_stats_guy

The_stats_guy Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the tips, i'll be a long way off getting ganes not on my nostalgia list.... however i keep getting tempted by rhe games i never playes to do with films/tv shows i enjoyed as a kid such as TMNT, Flinstones and Aladdin

DojoDan likes this.
  5. DojoDan

Aladdin is very good. Great music and animation. Not too expensive either. Good luck with it all mate!

The_stats_guy likes this.
  6. The_stats_guy

Finally got my sega mega drive! It came bundled with a few games, most of which i've never heard of:

- Alex Kidd
    - Phelios
    - space harrier 2 (2nd copy)
    - sonic 2
    - paper boy
    - golden axe
    - empire of steel
    - super smash TV

Despite being very picky about what i wanted to bid for and from who on ebay.... i still ended up with a controller that has a slight unresponsive C button and a sonic 2 that doesn't work... although i may attempt DojoDan suggestion on cleaning the connectors... but overall i am happy with what i received for the money i paid.

I did end up with a duplicate of space harrier now though.... if anyone wants it, let me know. Free for someone in the UK

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DankZaku likes this.
  7. DojoDan

That looks a clean one Chris. Games look clean too. Going great. You've got some top games there already, really pleased for you. Nice of you to offer SH2 as well. I would take you up on it but Im not a huge fan and it would be wasted on me. I'll see if I have any spare pads. I would splash out on a genuine 6 button as they're much better. You could open the pad up and give the contacts and rubbers a clean. Love seeing Megadrive pics.

8. The_stats_guy

Thanks for the controller recommendations i need to buy a 2nd one so my wife can play as well. This one just requires a harder press and seemed to get better the more i used it.... so opening it and cleaning the connectors may be all it needs.

I'm expecting half the games i played as a kid and want to rebuy like space harrier are pretty bad, but nostalgia always wins. And that is why i will always love my childhood favourite films like teen wolf, TMNT, mortal kombat etc despite them being awful

9. DankZaku

DankZaku Well-Known Member

My favorite thing about the Model 1.... High Definition Graphics lol. I need to get back into picking up a few Genesis titles I still want.

DojoDan likes this.
  10. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

If I may ask, what was it about the TMNT movie that you found to be awful? In my humble opinion, the film has aged relatively well and I've never noticed any glaring flaws or annoying bits in it. That is unless you are referring to the CGI Turtles Movie that's literally called TNNT, however I thought that one wasn't terrible either.