Thinking of Picking Up a PS4 - Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'PlayStation 4 & General PlayStation Discussion' started by Terramax, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Terramax

Terramax Well-Known Member

So, I've been putting off getting a PS4 for years, as there are very few titles I'm interested in. Furthermore, I've a Switch now.

However, I'm suddenly in the mood for Gravity Rush 2, and there seems to be a lack of decent single player action games on Switch (and I didn't like Zelda: BotW), which will probably be the case for quite some time, so this is almost the tipping point where I might grab one. Besides, it's an incentive to try and use the Vita more via remote play.

Here are the games I'm currently interested in gettting to give an idea of what I like and want to play:

Gravity Rush 1 & 2 - Very interested. I hear the sequel is a big improvememt over the original. Question: if I buy the physical Japanese versions of the game (I live in Japan), would an English option be available on the disc?

LittleBigPlanet 3 - Didn't like the little I played of the Vita game, and the visuals in this one look a bit dark and boring in this one, but the reviews have me wondering if it's worth checking out, if at a cheap enough price i.e. in a PSN sale.

Tearaway - Will probably buy the Vita version first. I found the Vita demo a bit meh, but maybe it'd be better on the big screen? Might try in a sale.

Ratchet and Clank - recently picked up the original on the Vita for cheap and found it a fun diversion for a few hours. The gameplay looks much improved here. Quite interested in this.

Knack - not sure about this one. The story looks interesting but the gameplay repetitive. Again, this will probably be bought via download in a sale.

Everybody's Golf - The Vita EG is arguably my favourite game of all time. I'll likely order this as soon as it comes out.

Yooka Laylee - will likely get this on the Switch instead, but if it turns out that version has technical issues or limitations, might jump into a PS4 or PC version instead.

Side note: I would have listed Nier Automata here, but I've already that on PC.

As you can see, these aren't that many games, and probably not enough to justify buying a new console for.

I'm generally into third person action games, usually of the lighter hearted / brighter variety, or with a more unique story or gameplay, hence why I'm not interested in games such as Uncharted, The Last of Us, Tomb Raider or Infamous: Second Son, as they look too dark and, frankly, unimaginative wannabemovie games.

I'm also not into open world games that require ridiculous hours of exploration (hence why I didn't like Zelda: BotW and wouldn't like games like Elder Scrolls and, presumably, The Witcher 3 either). I prefer an emphasis on fast paced action.

So, finally to the question at hand. Seeing the games above; are there any other games people can recommend? These are just physical titles I've seen on Amazon listings. But I've no idea if there are more of this variety via digital only.

Side questions: I'm thinking of getting a white model PS4 with 500gb. Like the PS3, etc, are there different size models i.e. a slimline yet? I'm aware there's a Pro version for improved graphics, but I'm not interested in paying a whole bunch more for slight tweaks in visuals.

Also, how big are download games? It's likely I'll get a bunch of games digitally in sales (Knack appears to be just £4 right now!) but I'm not sure how many games 500gb will hold. I'm ok to delete games I don't play anymore, and download again at a later date if I've the urge to play again. But if it's a case that I can only get about 10 games on there, then it'd pose as a problem.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in knowing the answer to some of your questions, altho I presume you can use an external HDD on the PS4. My preference in games is pretty much the same as yours. I don't really have time or the desire to put hours and hours into something like Witcher 3 (and other RPGs/JRPGs), I prefer just to jump in and get to it. My patience is quite limited. I do like old-school style games as well, platformers, the like. I have no idea on digital stuff, but I have around 16 games for the PS4 so far but no console. I'm hoping there might be a price shift when the new Xbox is released later in the year, I think that might be a good time to jump in. Not interested in a pro either. Gravity Rush 1 and 2 were the first games I bought for it as I love the Vita game. I'll list what games I have bought so far when I get back from work, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Edit: So far;

Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams
    Odin Sphere
    Retro City Rampage
    Astebreed
    Dariusburst cs
    Gal*Gun Double Peace
    Gravity Rush
    Gravity Rush 2
    Shantae Riskys Revenge
    Shantae Half Genie Hero
    Track Mania Turbo
    Wild Guns Reloaded
    Plants Vs Zombies 2
    Cursed Castilla
    Ghost Blade HD

+Wonderboy this Friday.

Hopefully there's something there that you haven't heard of that you might like.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    zodaex likes this.
  3. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

Of the games you mention I would comment that:
    - Ratchet & Clank is glorious and far, far superior to the PS2/3/Vita version. The PS4 one is a full remake, adding so many enhancements, its quite a different game.
    - Tearaway is an interesting one - I really enjoyed the PS Vita version, but found the PS4 verison a real chore and just not that fun...
    - LittleBigPlanet3 - having played all of the LBPs so far (including the PSP and Vita ones); LBP3 just didn't grab me. There's nothing wrong with it as such, I just wasn't really wowed by it and found some far more interesting PS4 games to play.

As for other games to recommend - Uncharted 4, Tomb Raider and The Last of Us would probably be near the top of my recommendations, but I can appreciate they might not be your cup of tea. See if Horizon Zero Dawn might be of more interest, although there are some RPG elements and a bit of exploration. If you like racers, I would unreservedly recommend both DriveClub and WipEout Omega.

Some digital only titles you should look at would include Inside, The Witness, Firewatch, Life is Strange, Resogun, Rocket League (Seriously it's brilliant!) and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

In terms of PS4 model - there's the original (angular with sharp corners), Slim (thinner, smoothed corners) and Pro (like a slim, but with an extra layer). I don't know if you can get a white Slim, but a later version original or slim would be fine. As for HDD space,

4. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    Original, Slim, and Pro. Colours vary by country, and I don't keep up.

Downloaded games range from miniscule (sub-100MB) to ridiculous (over 100GB with patches). It depends on the game. I've got maybe 20-25 on my PS4 and it's almost full (500GB).

DojoDan likes this.
  5. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

Ratchet & Clank - Not bad but way too short compared to the original. The game looks great and the gameplay is the same as usual, so no complaints there.
    Tearaway - It's a "cool looking" game but that's it. Sometimes it felt boring to me but it's cool, maybe a 6-7/10 game
    Gravity Rush 1 - WAAAAY better than the Vita version and with all the DLC included. Some parts might feel a bit too long but overall it's a great game

I would also recommend the following: Yakuza 0, Toukiden 2, EDF 4.1 and Guilty Gear Xrd Rev. 2 (or whatever it's the latest version when you get it).
    You can also play the whole Uncharted saga and The Last of Us but don't expect great gameplay, in fact I think Uncharted especially is full of design flaws everywhere, but the storys at least it's quite entertaining.

6. Terramax

People have recommended Yakuza 0 to me on other forums so I might give that a shot.

I'm avoiding Uncharted and The Last of Us. I've played a demo of the former series to know I don't like it. I can't stand Nathan Drake (or the entire cliched cast for that matter) and the climbing is just a dumb waste of time. tLoU, from what I've seen, is another cliched wannabe movie game. I prefer my stories with some element of creativity or originality.

I've already ordered Gravity Rush Remastered in preparation for a PS4. I'll ordered the 2nd game soon also. Those might be it for physical releases, and I'll try and get most other things digital in sales.

Akros likes this.
  7. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

I was going to recommend Yakuza to you, as I absolutely adore the series but your mention of "movie like" games made me hesitate. Just to point out it has very long, sometimes drawn out cutscenes at points (but really good ones at that). Think Metal Gear in terms of length for a couple of them (the ending to 0 must be a good 30 minutes at very least!). However unlike Uncharted (a game I also like), its still very much a "game" in its gameplay - the action doesn't hold your hand at all - it feels like a 3D version of Street of Rage or River City Ransom in that regard). Its also still structured like a game - fight your way through a big level of goons to face that levels boss - its one of the reasons I love the series so much, as they actually have boss fights rather than just cinematics.
    Its not usually the most colourful game in the conventional sense though like Gravity Rush or Ratchet and Clank which has colourful levels etc. But the neon and lights in the city at night do look beautiful in there own way. Story wise the main stories are fairly dark, crime thrillers but the side stuff is quite the opposite - you'll do everything from teaching dominatrix's how to do their job better, help a kid get his stolen copy of Dragon Quest 3 back (with hilarious twists), act as a TV producer, help a character who is blatantly Michael Jackson shoot the video to Thriller etc. Plus its got tons of mini games which are addictive in their own ways.

8. vita_lover

vita_lover Well-Known Member

I just love my PS4 - so many great games. I really recommend Nier: Automata and Persona 5 big time - PS4VR is well worth picking up as well.

9. McGee Jean

McGee Jean New Member

My PS3 good too. But PS4 is a dream

10. VietLe

VietLe Well-Known Member

I just got my PS4 yesterday. And it's awesome. The only game I've played on my PS4 so far is Hotline Miami and it's so awesome.

I have The Last of Us in line but I do not have many games yet.

11. Terramax

Hi there. Well, as an update, I bought a PS4 a few weeks back. I've New Everybody's Golf, Gravity Rush 1 &2, and Final Fantasy XII as far as physical games go. I also downloaded Everybody's Tennis. I also got 15 months subscription of PS Plus, and have downloaded some shitty Assassin's Creed game, a Just Cause game, and InFamous: 2nd Son, but haven't tried the last one yet.

To be honest, I'm quite underwhelmed by the console. But that's more due to the fact that streaming games to the vita just doesn't work at my house. I've got a really strong internet connection, but there's always lag, and the image always looks darker on the Vita. I can't play any games on remote play, as just about any game requires quick reflexes, and responsive controls.

The physical games I bought are all fun enough, but honestly I'm more of a handheld gamer, and playing on a T.V. just feels a little off for me. Not looking to buy any other games physically. Maybe I'll check out the Yakuza title, but after that, I'll play all the games I've got to completion, get my monies worth from PS Plus, and then likely sell the console off by the end of the year / early next year.

12. Flying_Pig

Have you tried connecting your Vita to the PS4 directly rather than via your router (assuming you're in the same house as your PS4) - it can have a dramatic impact on Remote Play performance?

13. Terramax

I'm not sure. I believe I'm already doing it directly actually. I've searched all the limited options and it seems to be the case. I'm doing it via wi-fi, but without a router. Does that sound about right?

14. Flying_Pig

I've not checked the exact settings in ages, but that sounds about right...

15. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

Can I bump this for my own recommendations? We're probably getting a Pro by the end of the week.

I already own Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix, Senran Kagura PBS and Nitroplus Blasterz, a few games I got just in case they'd sell out physically (turns out they overestimated the interest in Nitroplus Blasterz by a boatload, so that's a bit of a shame, but I got the LE's for KH and SK (my two favourite franchises), and we're planning to get Dragon Age Inquisition for my wife, as well as Shadows of Mordor, the new Assassin's Creed and The Witcher III.

I personally have come to like somewhat shorter games due to having less time, but I'll make exceptions for great games like KH or for mid-size games ranging from 40-50 hours for completionist things.

16. shadowman

The Yakuza series are decent 20 hour games if your going for story, double that for some of the main side stuff (side stories and the like). They are only really long if your like me and am a completionist!
    Both Gravity Rush games are well worth getting - the remaster of the first game looks and runs wonderfully on the PS4 (I'd put it over the Vita version thanks to the controls), stay away from Tearaway though if you've already got the Vita version, I just didn't care for the changes they made, especially the controls.
    Nioh is a fantastic action game that's a nice mix of Souls and Ninja Gaiden. Bloodborne is absolutely fantastic as well. Both are on the harder side of things though. Not impossible like some outlets make out but you'll certainly get your moneys worth from them!
    Ratchet and Clank is a brilliant platformer, not too long and looks amazing on the Pro regardless of the TV your running it on (4K or 1080p). Crash Collection is one of my favourites of the year if you like platformers. Definitely tricker than Ratchet but still great fun in my opinion.

Persona 5 is brilliant as well if you want a long lasting RPG. Or if you want a shorter game in the survival horror genre then you've got Resident Evil 7 to try (the gold version just got released this past week).

I've got Horizon to try sometime, but I just started Kingdom Hearts so I won't get to it for a little while.

TheAtom likes this.
  17. lesdennis

lesdennis Well-Known Member

make sure you get a 1 terabyte pro!

TheAtom likes this.
  18. TheAtom

lesdennis We were planning on that already! Seeing some of the installation sizes for some of the games like Dragon Age and The Witcher was pretty daunting.

shadowman I've seen you posting about the Yakuza series before (I think at least) and it does get me interested! Any particular one I should start with, or..?
    Gravity Rush will be a PS4 buy then. Tearaway has been for a long time on my to-buy list for the Vita but never got around to getting it. I've seen around that the Vita version's preferred generally so I'll keep on that list. How hard is Nioh really? I loved Ninja Gaiden, but only shortly tried Dark Souls II. I can deal with dying a shit ton of times, but I have more difficulties with it if it's so incredibly slow like DS tends to be. Bloodborne is supposedly also a lot faster qua gameplay right?
    Ratchet and Clank would be cool too, though my nostalgia bone is hit more with Jak n Dexter (they feel so similar though, to me), are they really comparable?
    Oh, and P5 is on the list, until I get more confident a Vita version is on the way, as may be possible it seems (someone here said they saw someone say in a comments section (look at the credibility of this statement right here) that the new Catherine remake for the Vita's made in the same engine as P5 is, which would technically allow for a P5 Vita release as well).

19. KaiserDragon

KaiserDragon Well-Known Member

@TheAtom

I played mostly Japanese games so most of my library probably aren't specific consoles exclusives.

From what I have played so far I say:

Final Fantasy XV - The third of the series I played that did not follow the traditional turn-based combat. It is more action oriented and I personally found the combat system satisfying. Story-wise I found them not as bad as what the internet-denizens react to it and in fact I actually like them.

Length of gameplay is medium for the main-story part, 40 - 50 hours should be enough depends on how we tackle the open-world part. Difficulty level are Medium on main game and leaning towards Hard on the end-game content. 4 DLCs are currently available (3 side stories + 1 Multiplayer) and with news of more coming in 2018. I haven't bought them yet so I can't comment much on the DLCs.

Samurai Warriors 4
    - Standard musou games, I recommend this if you are interested in that genre in general and/or are interested in the Japan warring-state era. In this installment they introduce the "Hyper Attack" that allows you to slice through those grunts in lightning-speed fashion for added satisfaction. Couch Co-Op is available for 2-player fun and at the same time giving the two of you the ability to move to different side of the battlefield.

Another medium gameplay length for the main-story part. The side activities can easily rack-up the hours though, so depend on what you mean for "completionist things". Difficulty level? EASY.

Caladrius Blaze
    - Anime-style Shoot'em-up with "Cloth Destruction" features ;). There isn't much in terms of story but the gameplay is definitely solid. Features numbers of play-able characters and the freedom to mix-and-match their abilities to our liking. 3 games mode available for slightly different game-play experience. Couch Co-Op is available and "No Bullet" mode is also available for added laugh (or for practice as intended).

Short game-play length meant to be played in short burst multiple times. Difficulty level is Easy for Story completion. Platinum trophy? VERY HARD.

GUNDAM Versus
    - Arcade-style GUNDAM fighting game that throws you straight into the middle of battlefield expecting you to be able to shoot-down enemy mobile suit without any tutorial-explanation. It is a very online-oriented game with a very little single-player content. WARNING: Couch Multiplayer IS NOT AVAILABLE.

I recommend this ONLY to the GUNDAM Versus game fans. If you are a GUNDAM fans but do not like those style, you can skip this with only missing very little. By far the best looking GUNDAM game I have played. The only down side is that most of the GUNDAM are locked behind paid DLCs.

Game-play Length -- Short, meant to be played multiple times. Difficulty level - Fighting game standard. Platinum Trophy? HARD.

I guess these four first for starters from me. I hope this doesn't come up as long-winded. I'm with lesdennis, I also recommend getting the 1TB HDD.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    TheAtom likes this.
  20. TheAtom

Caladrius Blaze seems the most interesting! I'm not too much into shmups, but couch co-op with the wife could be really fun! Thanks!

21. shadowman

TheAtom - Nioh is hard, but more in a Ninja Gaiden sense. Plus there are plenty of items and approaches to reduce the difficulty if you want to go that way. Its much faster paced than Souls, which is something Bloodborne has in common with it (BB is way faster paced than Souls).

As for Yakuza - thankfully the PS4 releases over here are basically the beginning chapters of the series. 0 is a prequel and leads perfectly into Kiwami (a remake of the first game) and Kiwami 2 (remake of 2) has just been released in Japan. From there though you need a PS3 for 3-5. 6 is also on the PS4 and while it has enough of a recap that you don't need to play 3-5, its worth doing if you can.

Ratchet and Clank is less platforming, more action compared to Jak 1. But its weapons are excellent and it still has a decent amount of platforming. If you liked Jak I'd say give it a shot.

TheAtom likes this.
  22. TheAtom

Thanks a lot! I have a PS3 as well so that should work out just fine! :D