Tokyo Tattoo Girls

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by zodaex, Oct 10, 2017.

1. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

I couldn't find a thread on this game so I went ahead and made one. So Amazon updated it's picture for this title recently, and I was quite surprised to see it sporting a lovely Playstation TV compatible banner on the cover. This has me wondering.. What genre of game is this exactly? I had the idea that in Vita tradition, it would be a touchscreen game where you give custom tattoos to the ladies using touch. Looking at the game's screenshots though I honestly can't determine what kind of game it might be. Now that I see it's PS-TV compatible though it's really perked my interest.

Kenza likes this.
  2. sean

sean Well-Known Member

I have the LE preordered but only sneak peek review I saw from japanese was complaining about lack of game play.

Hoping it was a quick look and there is more to it, but haven't really looked yet.

3. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

There is horribly little to do in the game, this thread from the Steam release discusses some Japanese reviews and such. In short: it seems like a Flash game, but with a rubbing mechanic.

Honestly, I was pretty sure I'd get it based on the description from NISA but this changed my mind. Even the art isn't too great.

Edit: for starters, the game's main selling point: the tattoos, aren't visible whatsoever outside of the rubbing mechanic in which you upgrade them...

4. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

Yea it doesn't seem like there's much substance to this game. Especially considering I can already give a little bitch a tattoo in GTAV. (Lazlo) :p

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  5. Axeru777

Axeru777 Well-Known Member

waiting for gameplay video

6. KaiserDragon

KaiserDragon Well-Known Member

I'm surprised at how scarce (I can't even find one other than the preview on NISA's site) are the gameplay videos considering this is a one-year-old+ game.

Either it is really un-popular in Japan or they are only uploaded on Japan-only sites.

I would like some gameplay videos first as well, but I like the ARTWORKS though, so I might decide to get it either way.

7. TheAtom

According to the steam thread, it hardly sold in Japan as well, but the thread links a few Japanese reviews, they have at least more screenshots.

8. KaiserDragon

KaiserDragon Well-Known Member

That's might explained why videos are scarce then. I wonder why they go through with the english-release then? I mean I'm not complaining, but surely they are not expecting better sales than in their home-country aren't they?

Anyway, mind sharing me the links to those reviews TheAtom ? I would like to have a read.

9. McFungos

McFungos Well-Known Member

The funniest part is that this game will be only available physically in the West. Japan only got digital release.

10. TheAtom

KaiserDragon likes this.
  11. McFungos

McFungos Well-Known Member

12. eric

eric Well-Known Member

I pre-ordered this one as it looked really cool. Sad that the reports are so poor. :(

13. TheAtom

I have the feeling this exact misunderstanding happened to me once before... Strange.

But yeah, it seems that it's bidirectional: sometimes things made there are not deemed fit for our market (either it's a licensed game of a franchise that's hardly known here, or sexual content that may not be received well here or something), but sometimes Japanese developers make things that people deem more fit for our market than for theirs. I think Lost Dimension was one of them, sold horribly there, and I think it did okay here. I loved it, personally.

Honestly, I have the feeling that there's been a bit of a popularity surge for games with sexual content here in the west, and I'm guessing that that may be the reason why they're bringing it over, with the LE and all. Also probably the reason they're showing so little gameplay: the more they show, the clearer it'll be that the game is just very barebones. Add some moe artwork and a rubbing minigame, and I think they'll probably hit their minimum sales. I'm also guessing it's not a text heavy game, so I doubt there'll be a big cost involved in the translation aspects of things. I think it's really just a low-cost, decent-expected-profit kind of thing.

KaiserDragon likes this.