TVL Collective Top 10/Top 5

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by TheAtom, Mar 2, 2018.

1. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!

I posted a status about it recently, but well, I thought I'll just open a thread about it.

I'd like to compile everyone's top 10 (maybe top 5? For those that haven't played that many yet) and make a collective top 10/5 out of it. It'll be a fun way to see what those truly passionate about the system think are the best Vita games so far!

The idea would be that everyone sends me their top 10/5 via PM, keeping it a bit of a secret for the rest. I'll then put it all in an excel file, and average it all out!

So what do you guys think about it?

If you like the idea, and think there are others that may not see this thread that may be interested to give a top whatever as well, do tag them! The more the better for this kind of thing!

KaiserFoxHD, shirokuro and DojoDan like this.
  2. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

Great idea. Both digital and physical? Stupid question I suppose :)

3. TheAtom

I already just now got a top 5 from JoSoap !!
    I guess he decided we'll settle for a Top 5!

DojoDan I'd say both, yeah. Unless you're willing to argue for the inherent supremacy of the physical format, I see no reason to make the distinction. I feel like games that were played digitally but also released physically fall into a complicated grey area then either way. xD

Anyway! PM me your top 5!

I'll tag the people that posted in the Top 10 Vita Games thread in here! Send me your Top 5, and update it if necessary! Terramax Blai Tuumis Ficta_Scriptor Despair The_stats_guy Axeru777

And then I guess some people I remember seeing around in recent days...
    DankZaku Mr Tornado Calamity Vita_Girl Billybobbean McFungos shirokuro nacsgaming Retro8bit Pata zodaex

I guess I've done my job advertising this now... Keep 'em coming people! :D

shirokuro and DojoDan like this.
  4. JoSoap

JoSoap Well-Known Member

Top 5 was all I could muster!

TheAtom likes this.
  5. TheAtom

Thanks Axeru, Zora, Vita_Girl and JoSoap (shall we abbreviate that to Jo..?) for giving your top 5!

Shall we leave it open for about a month? It'd be great if everyone could share but we can't wait forever either. A month seems fair, no?
    Deadline is then set as 5th of April 2018

DojoDan and Axeru777 like this.
  6. JoSoap

JoSoap Well-Known Member

Get them in chaps and chapettes!

shirokuro, zodaex and TheAtom like this.
  7. shirokuro

shirokuro Well-Known Member

Sent them in! Can't wait to see what the final results will be :p

TheAtom likes this.
  8. Amos67

Amos67 Well-Known Member

Mmmm yes top 5 seems a little more accessable and unique.

Gonna have to think on this one for a bit. I think i will rule my selection down by total play time. I figure if i have devoted any length of time to a game it must have captivated me despite better titles in the genre.

Hmmmm.....

9. TheAtom

I personally wouldn't say that total play time really is a good variable for enjoyment. If I'd put the same amount of time in Bastion as I did in Freedom Wars, I would've been skilled enough to 100% it. But Freedom Wars I ended up rage-quitting, and I love Bastion.

But to each their own of course! I'll take any top 5 :D

shirokuro and zodaex like this.
  10. Amos67

Amos67 Well-Known Member

Total play time works for me because i play alot of games for very short amounds as i dont have alot of time.

Lets say i play 10 different games a month for 15 min each, but i come back to a specific game and end up adding a few hours into it. I know that game captivated me and i enjoyed it because i would never play a game longer than 15 odd min. Now i have a game to consider for my top 5.

Or something like that lol.

TheAtom likes this.
  11. TheAtom

Today is the final day, I still got one Top 5 in from the Stats Guy, so that's cool. I'll be bringing the results somewhere this week!!

12. TheAtom

I actually have the sheets ready! Some interesting results, but it is clear that more people giving their top 5 would've helped A LOT if there'd been more entries. We had a total of 9 participants (including me) for now, and of course a VAST library of games to choose from.

I will be accepting new entries until tomorrow morning when I'll 'publish' the results here, so feel free to tell those that haven't sent anything in yet to still do so! With this few people, you may just push your favourite game into the top 5!! :D

13. TheAtom

Because of the small amount of participants, especially relative to the incredibly massive library of Vita games that were possible to be chosen, there is relatively little overlap. Nonetheless, I was happy to find that enough games reoccurred in the answers for a proper Top 5 to come up! Without further ado, let us get into the top 5 of TVL!

With a shared 5th place, we have the thrilling, award winning (I'm sure) time travel VN from Japan: Steins;Gate, and the thrilling, award winning (I'm sure) time travel VN from Japan: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last reward! Both come packed with an outstandingly written story, but where VLR seems to win by having a fun escape-room style puzzle gameplay, SG compensates for the lack thereof with a beautiful and captivating artstyle throughout the game (and perhaps it wins with a few more tearjerkers than VLR).

On #4 is a game I have never played, yet stemming from a gameseries from my own national grounds! Killzone: Mercenary grabs the 4th spot! From what I've heard, the ability to make an FPS at least as captivating and exciting as it is on the big screen experience, probably shows this spot is well deserved!

If we are to compare it to the mainstream lists all around, or maybe even almost all lists around the internet, this is perhaps the most surprising entry for a collective list. But, as it has been answered by two fans of the series, it need not be all too surprising. Number 3 is captured by Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus! I have evangelized this game multiple times already on this forum, so I'll keep it short. A fast-paced battle system with a wide variety of characters, each with their own goals and desires, a story that takes you through the same events from multiple perspectives, and finally... well... bewbs, captured in one beauty of a game!

Another game I have yet to play! The main characters is much more of a hype than the game itself, but it shows that licensed games can be good! What started out as a vocal synthesis program specifically targeting the Japanese market has grown to be a hype that transcended the indie electronic music scene, and has taken hold of the Vita audience! On number 2 we have Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F: The 2nd!

Interestingly, we haven't seen much from the standard lists of top Vita games, save Killzone perhaps. Are we really going to finish this without at least one of the early release classics? When big publishers still saw potential in our beautiful system? Naaaah, right? Well, nope. Unequaled champion in almost any ordered list of Vita games, and championing even many related lists of best-in-the-genre and similars, we have...

*drum rooooooll...*

*still...

still...

rolliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing*

Have you guessed it?

I bet you already even stopped scrolling.

You already know it, don't you.

Well.

Anyway.

Persona 4: Golden won. Big time. Hardly even a competition.

Vita_Girl, DojoDan, Axeru777 and 2 others like this.
  14. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

I've not played either #2 or #3, but the other 3 (4 really) games would definitely be high up for me.

I'm quite surprised that none of the DanganRonpa titles, nor Gravity Rush made it, but then I didn't contribute, so only really have myself to blame :p

15. Billybobbean

Billybobbean Well-Known Member

Gotta agree with most of that list, some solid titles there.

Were there any significant runners up?

16. MyNameIsJonas

MyNameIsJonas Active Member

Although I am late in offering my top five, my are:

#5 Ys Memories of Celcetta

A huge world; interesting plot; very competent battle system, which tests your reflexes. It almost made me feel like I were playing an MMO.

#4 Little Big Planet VITA

The essence of creativity packaged in a tiny cart. Plus it has Stephen Fry.

#3 Atelier Escha and Logy

Extremely enjoyable and lighthearted plot. Very interesting and deep crafting mechanic. Endearing characters. Huge musical selection, which includes the music from all VITA Atelier games that were released up to that point. Ow, and the best, in my opinion, battle system in any RPG.

#2 Steins;gate

I actually love the slow beginning of the game. It perfectly encapsulates August's lazy days.

#1 The Wolf Among Us

Although the framerate is choppy, the voice acting and plot are top notch and more than make up for it.

Close runner-ups:

#6 Stick it to the Man

#6 Steamworld Dig

17. shirokuro

shirokuro Well-Known Member

The number #1 place definitely wasn't surprising :p

I have to agree with Flying_Pig though, the lack of Danganronpa and Gravity Rush is the one which is surprising...

Flying_Pig likes this.
  18. zodaex

zodaex Blow monsters with all new weapons

I'll probably save Persona 4 as the very last Vita RPG I play so I can go out with a bang. I'm happy to see that Steins;Gate is ranked so high. I recently picked up the Steins;Gate anime on blu-ray and it just makes me more eager to start watching it.

19. Axeru777

Axeru777 Well-Known Member

I was not expecting Steins Gate, Senran Kagura, and Hatsune Miku to be on the top 5. What a total surprise.

20. TheAtom

There were also two runner-ups actually! It was a shared 6th place for TxK and Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. Gravity Rush is qua position right behind that, but in points it actually came quite a bit below. I could share the excel file if you guys would like, actually.

So as for a little explanation for the rankings, because there are indeed a few surprises here. First, perhaps, my score system. Because we have only a few participants, and a ton of games, the fact that one particular game is mentioned twice, rather than any other random game that doesn't even appear on the list, that's something special. So I gave extra points for every extra mention.

This means that, because of the small sample size, if two people happen to be a fan of a game, and judge it very highly, it can easily get into the top 5. For the record, P4G is the only game that got mentioned more than twice (a total of 4 times), so the rest of the score is split between games that were mentioned twice, and games that were mentioned once. Gravity Rush, for example, got two mentions, but only low scores. Danganronpa as a series got two mentions, but one was for DR1, and one was for DR2. If we would've combined those two, they would've caught 4th place instead. This disadvantage of having 3 similarly interesting games gives the series a disadvantage: you're not likely to put all three of them in your top 5, even if you enjoyed them each more than some other games; you want to give space to the whole variety of games you like.

I personally did expect Steins;Gate to get up there, but Hatsune Miku was quite the surprise for me as well! Senran Kagura was a little less of a surprise, because I know I put it in my Top 5, but it was nice to see it got more support :D

21. MyNameIsJonas

MyNameIsJonas Active Member

Yeap, I will be doing the same. Saving it for last. I haven't even bought it yet–although it was the deciding factor in buying a VITA–and I have been a VITA owner for four years now.

22. Stefarno

Stefarno Well-Known Member

I didn't vote but as far as I'm concerned Steins;Gate, Project Diva F 2nd and Persona 4 Golden are what I'd consider the best visual novel, rhythm game and JRPG ever so the list gets my approval.

23. Axeru777

Axeru777 Well-Known Member

is Steins Gate better than Danganronpa?

24. Stefarno

Stefarno Well-Known Member

I really like them both but personally I'd say so.

TheAtom likes this.
  25. TheAtom

Agreed as well. Danganronpa's gameplay aspects are fun, but SG is just so great.