Visual Novels

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by tonixuk, Mar 8, 2015.

1. tonixuk

tonixuk Member

Hi everyone, I'm currently addicted to danganronpa and have danganronpa 2 and zero escape waiting for me when I've finished.
    Can anyone recommend another visual novel for the Vita be it already out or coming out this year? I really want to explore this genre
    Regards

2. Techup

Techup Well-Known Member

The Walking Dead series are really good stories. They have some technical issues, but if you can get past them, they're really great games.

Stryfe likes this.
  3. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    If you're looking for something already out, there's XBlaze Code: Embryo (almost pure VN) and Persona 4: Golden (VN/RPG) if you haven't played either of those.

Later this year however, we're also getting VA-11 HALL-A, XBlaze Lost: Memories, Steins; Gate and probably some more I'm forgetting in the West - all of which would fit the bill.

4. tonixuk

tonixuk Member

I most definitely have played Persona 4 Golden, it's my favourite game lol. Cheers for the recommendations

I tried the walking dead series on my Xbox when it came out and really struggled to get into it. I might give it another try on vita as my taste has clearly changed since discovering the Dangan Ronpa series

5. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

There's also Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters - it's coming out in a couple of days. I don't really know anything about it though - I just see Aksys promoting it on Twitter all the time.

Flying_Pig likes this.
  6. Ficta_Scriptor

Ficta_Scriptor Well-Known Member

Don't forget The Wolf Among Us is on Vita! It has its technical issues but I just finished it last week and I really enjoyed it.

Also, Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters is coming out pretty soon. It seems to be a mix of visual novel and strategy RPG.

7. tonixuk

tonixuk Member

Yeah I've been wondering about toyko twilight ghost hunters. Think I may check that out.

8. lights

lights Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    All I need this year.

Kijof, Curtis and VietLe like this.
  9. Ficta_Scriptor

So there's been a recent release of Fragment's Note on the Playstation Mobile service. (Which will be gone in September... :() Only £3.19 in the UK! Looks to be a pure visual novel. Doesn't seem to have voice acting, but that's okay considering the price.

Also, after reading up on Lost Dimension (slated for release later this year) it seems to be an SRPG/VN hybrid, with your choices having lasting effects, including whether certain teammates end up fighting against you during the final boss battle! Seems to have a Valkyria Chronicles vibe, so colour me interested.

That said, I think I'm going to pass on Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters... From what I've read, there's no overarching story, just a collection of 'episodes' without an overall conflict, and confusing choice options during conversations where you have no idea what your character will actually do. A shame then, but I expect we'll see many more visual novels come to the Vita eventually. I mean, now that they've announced Danganronpa 3... :D

10. kborom

kborom Member

Does Virtue's Last Reward count? I've been wondering about Danganronpa and saw this other game which is highly rated for £16 on Amazon which I had in vouchers. Seems to be a puzzle/novel game - is this similar to Danganronpa?

11. Ficta_Scriptor

I'm a huge Danganronpa fan and I'd say VLR is just as good, if not better. (Puzzle and gameplay wise VLR wins by a mile, and is also longer, though Danganronpa has better characters and concept IMO) If you like visual novels then you absolutely MUST get it.

kborom likes this.
  12. maouvin

maouvin Active Member

VLR is great, but try to play 999 before - preferably on the DS, if not on iOS, and if even then you can't play it... well, I did some digging and managed to learn a lot of 999 without spoiling VLR, enough to have some "oooooh that's why they wanted me to play 999 before!" moments.
    But of course, 999 is awesome even without previous 999 knowledge.

13. tonixuk

tonixuk Member

I've recently bought VLR but playing through the dangan ronpa games first.

14. kborom

kborom Member

Thanks for the comments, VLR is my first go at these and I did check for 999 first but I only play on PC/Vita so it wasn't available.

Early days but am enjoying it, good "bedtime reading" ;)