Vita Games Spiking Instead of Dropping

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by KaiserFoxHD, Mar 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. KaiserFoxHD

KaiserFoxHD Gaming's not an addiction, It's a lifestyle

Is it just me or does it seem or feel like Vita games are going up in price. I might just be crazy, which I kinda am I can admit. But recently I went to gamestop and checked out amazon, and I know that certain games that have been out for a while went back up to about $30, they weren't on sale or anything just a price drop. I get this feeling that this the Vita's last year and I think store fronts are starting to notice that as well, so I'm guessing they figure to hike up prices a bit. I think now is the time to buy up the games you want, cause I feel that vita games are going to fall into some sega saturn territory.

Maybe it just me, but what do you all think?

[​IMG]

2. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

In short?

I see it too that the prices are getting higher, also I see less restock for Vita games in some store and less sales.

And on the second hand market some games get more expensive or just don't get any cheaper.

I've even seen games like FIFA 15 raising in price, while the PS3 version is as cheap as €0,50 the Vita version goes for at least €5 used.

3. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

Store wise near me I only have two Game stores, a cex and 2 cash converter type stores for comparison. I've never seen the games at thow away prices like the Wii went trough but they were reasonable a year or so back. Now they're holding their prices but I don't see any selling. There's not one store I go to that has new ones on display. Game stopped that late last year and only have them behind the counter if you ask. The cash convertor stores are hit n miss price wise but stock is virtually non existent most of the time. I'm just glad I bought most over the last two years.

4. Retro8bit

Retro8bit Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    Retro-8-bit
    I honestly saw this coming years ago, especially with many titles getting much lower print runs since 2016. Mark my word that given 5-10 years from now the Vita is gonna be heck o' expensive to collect for. I mean I honestly feel sorry for collectors who are even starting just now, as already the barrier to entry is much higher than it was just a few years back.

DojoDan likes this.
  5. McFungos

McFungos Well-Known Member

Starting in 2018 will be really painful :(

The lasts print runs are way lower than at the start of the PS Vita. Publishers revised their sales expectations and reduced their print runs accordingly.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  6. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I started noticing this last year when games were getting harder and harder to get on release day without a pre order. Print runs must be really low now for most games. Makes me feel less bad about getting them at launch!

7. Amos67

Amos67 Well-Known Member

If i had to put it i would say they have increased by about 10%

I am seeing small increases in random games and scarcity specifically in early release titles, however current release are at standard prices for me atm.

There is a copy of ar nosurge at auction currently at 200 bucks ish which is 150 bellow current market but still has 3 days to go. Depending where it lands we can extrapolate price fluctuations for rare or special titles.

Alot of earlier lrg games are increasing into the 150 range which i gone up from the steady 80 to 100 dollar marks they had.

Exciting times if you ask me

8. Billybobbean

Billybobbean Well-Known Member

There are a few observations I've made

Early year titles that were release before the system "died" seem to have plateaued. most of these hover around £15 and honestly I'd be surprised if many of these went up. There are a few smaller print and region exclusive titles like History Legends of war and MMA Supremacy that have spiraled up significantly in value but these I think just garnered a name for themselves being valuable without actually being too hard to find and will settle back down over time.

As time went on I was still able to get deals on most games and they would at least on certain stores tend to drop to around £20 used at which point I would pick them up, however I noticed last year that the floor on new games stayed strong at £25, with one of the last major releases Danganronpa 3 not really budging at all from its £30-35 release price. This didn't really seem to me to have anything to do with an increased demand, I actually perceived it to be quite the opposite and places weren't willing or able to take the hit having not sold enough at a fuller price

Myself, I haven't observed much of a general increase in prices recently and what I have observed I wouldn't generally call a spike at least for most gamess. I do think there has been a small resurgence in interest in the vita over the last year due to a few bigger youtubers doing videos on the system however which will naturally cause a rise in prices.

I would say I think its kinda dangerous to state in a blanket way that prices are shooting up around even in places like this, people who maybe don't lurk here in the same capacity as some of us and don't read the threads in their entirety with experience of the market and general context behind the words will just have the simple takeaway that vita prices are 100% shooting up in value and when they discuss it elsewhere that will become the new narrative and we all suffer from that.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    KaiserFoxHD and TheAtom like this.
  9. KaiserFoxHD

KaiserFoxHD Gaming's not an addiction, It's a lifestyle

Is it possible to see a decrease in prices by next year or do you think it's possibly going to stay the same?
    I mean I hope that we still get Vita games in the future, but it does feel highly unlikely, with the nintendo switch doing so well in Japan as well as every where else.

10. McFungos

McFungos Well-Known Member

I think no. Prices will stagnate at best.

11. Billybobbean

My predictions would be it’s going to stay stable through this year, I reckon we will see some deep sales from online shops as they drop vita as a platform and there will continue to be a slight interest from people who’s gotten into it via people like metaljesus and Erica griffin but that will be balanced out by people migrating to switch.

The PSP never seems to have returned as a collectible system so I’m in two minds about thinking the vita will, but if it does it’ll be a fucker to collect for.

DojoDan likes this.
  12. Retro8bit

Retro8bit Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    Retro-8-bit
    Was watching this really interesting video last week, that goes perfect with this topic.

13. Billybobbean

One thing that helps is to make a point of NEVER use a resellers eBay shop. It’s something I started to do a few years ago, if the store has a ton of ratings and they’ve got loads of listings above market value, just don’t buy it. You can’t use re-sellers and then complain about them, there will always be another listing you just have to wait.

If everyone followed this rule the resellers and scalpers wouldn’t be able to operate and ultimately persevering and hunting for that perfect listing makes it all the sweeter when you finally get it. I should’ve really used resellers when I was getting all the Pokemon SPs as in that case they are actually providing something of a service finding rarer consoles that weren’t even for sale where I live, but I persisted and got every one from a smaller seller and it gave me a real sense of achievement when I was done.

14. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

I completely agree. It's buyers that ultimately set the market price. I don't mind a bit of overhead but 3x the price, no thanks. I have all my wanted stuff on various eBay searches that alert me, and like you say mate it's much more rewarding waiting until its my turn for a right price. I always think everyone gets a turn you just have to wait for it. Altho admittedly some games you just have to close your eyes and buy it if you really have to have it.

15. Billybobbean

I think it’s important to separate the price and the resellers also. Sometimes the market is dictating that somethings 3x the price, if it’s selling for that then I don’t have any qualms about paying that to someone, but not a reseller.

Always important to check the sold listings!

DojoDan likes this.
  16. Amos67

Amos67 Well-Known Member

The waiting game is hard to play though, more so if you have waited on a game and then it vanished.

I suppose for me its more a matter of scarcity rather than price. If i see availabilty of games i want i tend to jump on them nowadays. That being said if your not careful its easy to overpay hence driving prices up.

I think if your after something, find it in 2 or 3 locations that way you can wait it out and if you see it going out of stock nab it for a decent going price.
    It can be hard to get a good deal but like you folks mentioned when you snag it it feels great

17. samus1818

samus1818 Active Member

I've seen games that have remained the same price or gone up in price. I saw Odin Sphere once at a store and never again LOL Online, I've noticed that this game has stayed about the same price that I saw years ago. OS for PS3 is actually cheaper than the OS for vita. :confused:

18. Billybobbean

It took me 5 years to get all the Pokemon SPs, can’t count the amount of times I saw the perfect condition console up at the wrong price and had to pass. Collectors can be their own worst enemy sometimes with regards to not waiting and I’m hardly innocent of this but it’s important to at least try and sometimes hold back.

With most things in vita you can always find copies on eBay, like if you ever for some reason needed it, it’d be there to buy no problem which is something to try keep in mind.

Would you ever truly be in a position that you couldn’t get it? If not, try to wait, spend the money elsewhere or save it so it’s ready for the time when it does show at the right price.

19. Amos67

Amos67 Well-Known Member

Well i have been looking at getting ar nosurge plus latelly, and its basically $350 or gtfo. Copys are extreemly scarce so when they are available its a bit of a quandary.

I can see 150 maybe even 200 for a game but anything over that and i really find myself fighting the collectors war. To take the plunge or hold out, its very hard to tell with exclusive games or low production ones sometimes.

20. Billybobbean

Yea ar nosurge is gonna be a bit of a pain, just gotta keep up the search and if/when you do get it, don’t use a reseller

21. geralds

geralds Member

Ya like anything they will clime and fall. Right now it's a speculation market so the prices increase once prices fall some will freak-out and mass sell. They won't stay these prices forever unless they are that rare l. Take Atari 2600 or nes prices spiked then crashed. Only the Super rare games maintain value if you think these prices will say your wrong. People have to care for prices to stay and people won't care forever or not keep there vita games forever. Rare or not how many people care in the long run not the whole term.

22. Amos67

Amos67 Well-Known Member

I suppose the real issue is if you approach collecting games as a financial investment. Realistically that holy grail once upon a time item that is now worth a retierment fund just isnt going to happen.

On the other spectrum you have resellers whos only interest is flipping profits and to an extent controlling/manipulating markets.

If you thonk along those lines all of a sudden value and meaning become distorted. And sometimes you see a $15 game being pushed for $70 because the owner has freaked and misguidedly believes they are owed a prophet for their investment.

Then you have us, who collect for specific reasons and not stricktly financial gain who get caught up in the price wars.

23. geralds

geralds Member

IF people wouldnt pay the prices scalpers and resalers wouldnt be an issue. IF i game like from limited run game just barely came out and it already fliped on ebay day 1 and sold for profit its the buyers that are the issue if you would stop paying above market value the games wouldnt be so expensive. There no rason a brand new release of a game need to be resold for a higher value unless its that popular and limited like odsworld. If you want other games liek hyper dimensions just opped out for the cheaper versions on other system. The prices are gonna fall eventually especially on the used games. Sealed games maybe not because sealed buyers are always gonna over pay. again unless the game is just that rare why do these prices need to be high. It was gett that bad with nintendo and it finally drove a lot of people out of buying most nes games and now you can see the proof with the games slowly going down there no need for 200 to 600+ games if there decently easy to find. If there showing up decently easy on ebay or there never a time there isnt a copy on ebay then just play the waiting game because you know what the prices will fall. People are not gonna be holding to there vita games for ever not everyone is gonna collect forever. Most people are not gonna have hundreds of systems lieing around most people dont have the space or the time to play everything. You might care about the now but 5 years from now will you care? Your collection is eventually gonna go back on the market once you stop caring about it your gonna move on to the nintendo switch or the next gaming thing it happens with every system. Where are your games gonna end up in 5 to 10 years from now how many of these games are you gonna want to play how many will others want to play. How many people want to play a lot of the limited run games why cant these sell as general retail games. The market will cash just like it did for atari 2600 and like its starting to do for nes your collection isnt gonna end up in some museum your not gonna pass this on to your kids unless they happen to be attached to it like you are. These games are not gonna end up as some museum prized possesion and you not gonna die with your games and be burried with them. How many people that you know actually care about this stuff that you know or pasted generations if your seriously care that much and want to die with then its just a burden on your family who have to sell it and dont care and want to get rid of this stuff asap just to sell a house or more. What if yu have to move you relize how much of a pain it is to move a hole game collection even if it just a bunch of handheld games.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  24. Amos67

Amos67 Well-Known Member

Oookay, and deeep breath.

Ahhhh. :D

Your right markets will go up and down. We might sell up later, but for now the thrill of the hunt is enticing ;)

KaiserDragon likes this.
  25. geralds

geralds Member

The high prices of vita games don't help in the long run. It just turns people off makes games harder to find and encourages scalpers. The prices are turning off new potential buyers. If scalpers can get games for cheap and sell for profit that's what they will do. There are scalpers who will travel long distances just to get games to resale. Once we stop thinking we have the next holy grail and think we need asap prices will go down. Scalpers are not the problem. We the buyers are.