Vita games thinning out

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by Amos67, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Amos67

Amos67 Well-Known Member

So I have just started looking around all my regular haunts for Vita games again after about a year hiatus and i noticed that alot of the online sellers and retail stores have 1/3 the stock that they used to have. Alot of common popular games are now all gone!

How have you folks found the market for the vita in recent months? I know there are plenty of cool new releases coming out and the community is still kicking but I feel like there has been a significant decline in availability and carefactor by sellers regarding the Vita.

It's kind of cool to see a system slowly disappearing from common thought and the hunt for physical copies becoming all too real. I feel special lmao.

2. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

Right now it's pretty much either release date, lucky clearance sale or pay the scalpers. Most old tittles are totally gone and have to be bought used at local game stores or using one of those mobile apps where people post stuff they want to sell.

3. Billybobbean

Billybobbean Well-Known Member

I’ve noticed last year was one where a lot of shops both online and off either stopped stocking games completely or heavily reduced what they carry. There are still some very reliable places online but finding a deal has become a bit of a challenge. I find of the physical places that do stock vita (CeX, Game, Grainger games) most of the time you’ll mostly just find launch year titles with maybe a couple of later but still easy to find releases sprinkled in. If you want anything recent, online is the only realistic way to go.

Also last year really saw the rise of limited print runs which you either get when they release or you pay more for, I’d actually be interested to work out what percentage of physical vita releases were limited runs, my guess would be about 30%.

Full set collectors of the future are going to have a bad time collecting for the vita unless there’s some sort of collector market crash.

4. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more with all the sentiments above. Within the last few months I've felt like things have changed. If you want good deals on older sealed games it's definitely a waiting game on eBay.

5. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

No joke there. Vita is pretty much the next Neo Geo AES at this point. Neptunia Re;birth 1 Limited Edition is on it's way to become the next Metal Slug.

6. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

That is true however comparing an LE isn't really fair considering the regular copy isn't that expensive by far.

But I do see some non LRG games getting more expensive, games like Terraria (EU), Teslagrad (EU), WRC 5 (EU) or even Angry Birds (EU) get more and more expensive, especially EU variants.

(there are more EU variants that get more expensive lately)

I'm lucky that I focused on more uncommon titles when getting them cheap was a option at all, most games I see lately are cheap titles that are cheap to start with, but in some cases I made mistakes by not getting certain titles that were common and cheap but now got more expensive.

It wouldn't surprise me if except some common titles like Uncharted, Wipeout, FIFA or Lego games most Vita titles get higher prices than same games on other systems (there are already games that are more expensive used on the Vita than for example a PS3 or PS4 copy)

People jumping on a full set Vita bandwagon will have a hard time.

What does grab my attention is that games from last year probably have less physical Vita copies out there than years before, some games from last year sold out quicker than expected.

Another thing is that it seems EU Vita games tend to be more uncommon than the US ones, even some EU gameshops sell US copies but not their EU variants.

Also when Sony stops producing Vita memory cards another hell will start, you need them for saves for almost all Vita games out there.

Vita will end up as a system hard to collect for because of the games but also the memory cards.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    TheAtom and Akros like this.
  7. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

Yeah, game releases have definitely slowed down, and its no longer a good idea to wait for sales or soon after release to get games. I pre order these days as I've had too many instances of scrambling to get games after release where they start becoming rarer/more expensive. Danganrompa 3 was quite annoying in that regard. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last year for the Vita outside of Japan.

8. Vita_Girl

Even in Japan it seems devs move more to the PS4 and Switch, matter of time before they stop making Vita games.

What will make collecting even harder are limited games from companies like Limited Run or Strictly Limited Games with their rather low runs.

9. Billybobbean

I Actually only have 2 of those 4 :(.

I've generally kept on top of recent releases save for Trails in the Sky II and Danganronpa 3 I think I've gotten everything that's come out last year. Grainger Games was my last place for deals but even they aren't dropping their prices to where they once did. Might ask for Danganronpa 3 as a present since its price isn't shifting anywhere.

10. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

Ever since I moved to Belgium, I have to admit I hate not being to able to go into a store and buy a Vita game, really. The only place that stocks some is fnac, that seems to get some really odd titles here and there (they stocked up crazy on Lost;Dimension for example. Just checked their website and #1, they still don't know the difference between PSP and Vita. #2, they have NO CLUE what their stores actually stock, and haven't updated their online stock since launch or something. #3, anyone looking for Need for Speed? They got it.), and the usual game stores actually sell nada.

11. Vita_Girl

Is GameMania maybe an option? They have stores in Belgium too.

12. Amos67

Amos67 Well-Known Member

i think ill be spending more time on play asia, amiami and solarisjapan from now on. i have a few games that i need to hunt ebay for through. ill keep a close eye on pre orders for those really special games.

i cant imagine trying to go for a full set... sonds impossible

13. Billybobbean

Its surprising how many sites have hidden to completely removed vita as a selectable platform despite still actively selling vita stock. Usually nowadays its in a "more" or "other" menu and I've found those sites that do this usually have them priced to that the stock isn't moving any time soon.

14. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

We need a thread where people post up their Vita needs / wants, and we can all keep an eye out as we're out and about. I always check every local store when I'm out. I also have saved searches on my ebay app to jump on any potential good deals. Game stores do have games but they keep them behind the counter stupidly.

Akros likes this.
  15. Billybobbean

I've actually considered such a thread before, would just need to be vigilant on keeping it updated but its a sound idea.

I made a deals thread in the buying/selling sub awhile ago but it didn't really take off but specific wishlist thread could be pretty well received. Maybe I'll get that posted

DojoDan likes this.
  16. Terramax

Terramax Administrator

I remember even when I took a trip back to the UK some 2.5 year ago, Vita titles were already pretty much none-existent in retail stores.

But I'm still fine with that. I moved over to digital anyway, and will only be keeping about 5-6 physical titles.

Yet, I can still understand the sentiments here. Even though everyone has been stating the console has been on its death bed since, well, about 6 months into the console's life, it really does feel like the console is being long forgotten at this point.

I'll still continue playing it for years to come though.

17. Kenza

Kenza Active Member

I'm about done with my physical collection (thought i'd never say that), got 99 atm and just getting 1 more. I'm not a big fan of Anime and there is not any physicals coming out that i want, plus i heard most of the 2018 games are not having a physical release (not sure if that's true), all the same i have bought a 64gb Memory Card to go with the other 6 cards i have and i'm going totally digital.

18. Billybobbean

That's a good point, I'm personally not aware of many "regular" releases coming soon, mostly Asian English and limited prints from what I've seen. Chicken range is the only one that comes to mind in the next couple of months but I might just be being thick :D

Kenza likes this.
  19. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

There's actually three of them in a cycling distance from my home (which is incredible, that that is profitable), but 2 of them have maybe 2 or 3 second hand games, and the other just doesn't seem to know it is a system that actually still has games coming out for it... :(

20. McFungos

McFungos Well-Known Member

It's already painful for current collectors :D

Not to this point because it only matter for the NA gamers or those collecting every LE released in the West. Every ones else will get either the Japanese version or the standard NA version.

The point is that the prices a raising Way faster than your capability to purchase games :(
    I mean does anyone is aware that in 2015 there were some 170 games physically released and out those 170 more than 40 didn't manage to make it into any sales charts (Media Create, Famitsu or Dengeki online).

For March 2018, the PS Vita is going crazy again in Japan with 17 games (18 with Anison variant) releasing this month. Very good luck catching up :D

DojoDan likes this.
  21. geralds

geralds Member

most vita games are gonna be worth something to collection. Value is gonna go up for games from limited run games no dout especially rare games like breach and clear and now the even more rare basically 99 vidas. Is it gonna be like neo geo aes i dout it but the fact that so many games these days are released as limited editions only there is definaly gonna be a price increase of games from limited run games, strickly limited 99 vidas and even play asia games theres no dening once psn store on vita is shut down there will be 100% no way to get your hands on any of these games other wise. Especially in 20 years or so when that nastalgia boom hits for this vita your I wouldnt be supprised to see games like breach and clear and 99 vidas hit that $500 to $1000 range is cop because way to hard to find on websites like ebay. Right now i think vita is still to new and people are constatly getting out of vita collection for missing out on games. Once the market settles down and releases stop people are gonna in a nut shell reliese there are screwed out they have to pay them prices no one ells is listing the games there getting harder to find and the prices are just gonna rise. You gonna get them collectors who sell there collection and someone buy it on the cheap and feels the need for the complete colltion but could easily be missing some of the limited run games like soldner, ocean horn, breach and clear, or games like 99 vidas. The Japanese games are never gona be hugely desireable for the most part just like they are today with older systems european and NA games are still going to be the most desired. For now i dont expect to see huge price increases because people get that pissed they give up or they at least have the option to go digital. It is when digital finally goes away on vita where we will see the true trides of where the vita will go in terms of collecting in my opinion when a physical game over that had only 100 to 4000 ish copy max now leaves possible millions of vita owners with absolulty no other way to play these games on vita do they in a nutshell shell out the cash or give up there chances to play great game. You cant tell me games like soldner, odsworld, 99 vidas, breach and clear, darios, ocean horn, some of those nisa and more are not something people wont want int he future they are great games that are far to limited for the ammount of vita systems out there.

22. McFungos

It's not because near all collectors in the West don't care of Japanese exclusives that games will be cheap there.
    Even in Japan there are many games released with print run not above 5 000 or even 3 000 that publishers were not outspoken about it.
    Prices in Japan are already going up and it can be brutal. People in the West are just unaware of it and clearly people are just underestimating how bad things are evolving in Japan :(

For what matter here the latest offers of Heart no Kuni no Alice in Amazon.co.jp => Willl you pay 420€ for a brand new copy ?
    [​IMG]

23. Vita_Girl

Not that japanese games are cheap to start with.

Even with systems like PS1 or Sega Saturn there are some stupidly expensive japanese games out there, expensive rare games aren't just a western thingy indeed it's worldwide the case.

And talking about western games, EU Vita games will probably end up as the most expensive ones out there.

Sure US copies of Atelier Escha & Logy, Ar NoSurge or Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus for example are already expensive but I see some EU variants already being more expensive than their US alternatives like for example Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd or even Angry Birds Star Wars.

I already have issues with finding some EU copies of certain games, while their US variants beg to be bought.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    DojoDan likes this.
  24. McFungos

I completed my EU set the month after the release of the Switch and yes few games are hassle. Games from year 1 & 2 of the PS Vita should be that rare but starting from 2016 publishers became way more conservative with the size of their print run. The hard to get games phenomenon is being accentuated by the average low print run of PS Vita games.

DojoDan and Vita_Girl like this.
  25. geralds

geralds Member

First of there are

You are looking at the hear and now yes Japanese games are more expensive. In the long run most tend to be cheaper as no one cares but Japanese or find Japanese contacts and get the games even cheaper. . Also people care less for language barrier. Secondly new games are always more expensive look at the used prices to see they are just far cheaper. 90% of games don't even need Japanese for to play but good luck convincing people of that.