Vita Slim coming to North America this Spring

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by vongruetz, Feb 10, 2014.

1. vongruetz

vongruetz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    vongruetz
    Murphy likes this.
  2. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

I am interested in this. For the price, and containing a game it is a nice deal. I will probably end up getting one. Did they mention the color combinations to be coming, as well?

3. vongruetz

PSN ID:
    vongruetz
    No mention of colors yet, but there is some more good news.
    Not only will it come bundled with Borderlands 2, it will also come with an 8gb memory card. FINALLY they wise up and pack in something other than the useless 4gb card.
    Also a bunch of DLC included with the game.
    From GameInformer:

"The new Vita will come with an 8GB memory card in addition to the 1GB of onboard storage. Borderlands 2 for Vita comes with six DLC packs: Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate’s Booty, Mr. Torgue’s Campaign of Carnage, Psycho Character Class, Mechromancer Character Class, Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 1, and the Collector’s Edition Pack. No word yet on the remaining DLC that has been released for the other versions of the title."

4. Techup

Techup Well-Known Member

While I may check out the game and I am very excited that the Vita Slim is coming to the west, I just can't afford to buy a 2nd Vita out of sheer luxury atm.

That being said, this looks like an amazing deal. If this doesn't sell units then god help us all because for those that don't already own a Vita (and some that do but want the slim) this is just too good, assuming the price is good as well. I'm excited to see what the sales do after they release this.

I also hope that they don't pull a UK on us and just give us black. If I were to ever buy a new Vita I would definitely want the White/Lime Green one first and foremost.

5. Trent

Trent Owner, PS Vita Reviews

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    Very nice. I'm glad the new model is making its way to other territories. I've been using a Japanese Slim for a good while now, and I absolutely love it.

6. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

If there is no alternate color I will be seriously bummed.

7. Silent Angel

Silent Angel Active Member

According to the PS Blog we're just getting the black color :/

8. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    Eww, no OLED... Yuck. :p

Seriously though... that price. $199 is not a good point to start at :/

9. Trent

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    For a bundle that comes with Borderlands 2 and an 8 GB Memory Card, it's not actually bad. Many of the game-included bundles for the original Vita on Amazon are around $230.

Silent Angel likes this.
  10. vongruetz

PSN ID:
    vongruetz
    The OLED will be forgotten in time. The Zune HD had an OLED screen, and while it was suppose to give it an advantage, nobody cared. Most mobile devices have an LCD screen and everybody is fine with that. Yes, the saturation isn't was good, but the other changes are for the best. I paid $299 for a 3G Vita with a proprietary charging cable, 4 hour battery life, and 3G functionality that didn't do anything. I think a $199 system with a game and memory card is a much better deal.

11. Murphy

Murphy Founder Staff Member

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    That's some misleading reporting right there.

Great news for you guys, especially being bundled with a system selling game. Assuming it's going to be good, of course. Still no footage or screens.

lightfellow likes this.
  12. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

I really hope we see some proper Vita footage for BL2 soon...

13. lightfellow

lightfellow Member

I think It's an awesome bundle, If I have the money I'll totally get it...

14. Magnumstache

Magnumstache Well-Known Member

Looks like it's part of a big push in NA. Not before time, but good that they're at least trying.

Magnumstache.

Murphy likes this.
  15. Trent

PSN ID:
    L2K7
  16. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

17. Pata

Pata Well-Known Member

Everything the SCEA team could have done to announce the new Vita would have beaten the ultra-lame press conference that SCEUK did to announce the machine. Not to mention that the SCEA team have made an awesome bundle at a very cheap price (considering what's inside the bundle).

18. Trent

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    One thing I am wondering with the localization of the new model set in stone is how many different new accessories we will be getting for the new model. Some of the peripherals, specifically the cables, won't work with the new model. Along with that, I think some of them, like the Trigger Grips, also will not be able to work.

19. CharZarz

CharZarz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    Great, I hope they don't make it less then 200$

20. Libra

Libra Member

I'm hoping to get an official release date during GDC this week. This bundle is a instant-buy.

21. CharZarz

CharZarz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    The only reason why im not upgrading to model 2000 is because of no OLED.

22. PsychoDon904

PsychoDon904 Member

While its cool and all the Slim/2000 model is coming here, not really interested since most if not all has already own a Original Vita. Now if it was the 64gb Memory Card on the other hand, would definitely got my attention.

23. vongruetz

PSN ID:
    vongruetz
    So the Vita 2000 has now been released in the States, and seems to be getting a lot of positive reactions from people online. A lot of people who were very concerned with the switch from the OLED to LCD screen seem to be fine with the new one.
    It's also nice to see that it's selling pretty well. A number of retailers are sold out online, and it even cracked the Best Seller list on Amazon (a feat I've never seen the Vita do before). My question is if the sell out is due to high demand or low inventory (or a combination of both). My fingers are crossed that it's due to high demand.

I ask again though, where is that Vita TV? Now that God of War is out (and compatible with VitaTV), I'm ready for it to come out in the West.

dantheman180 likes this.
  24. Kurisutina

Kurisutina Ultimate Vita Enthusiast

PSN ID:
    Shiroyami
    I don't expect VitaTV to be out for a little while yet, with it's debut at Gamescom where I feel is the right market to launch it first. As for the Slim, new model hype will probably die out next month as it's probably more like low supply to meet the unexpected demand. Also Borderlands 2 is the biggest game to be bundled with a Vita since...AC3: Liberation or Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified right? So I'm not surprised that it's doing alright. Problem is Sony probably can't keep it up but that doesn't dampen my desire to have a Vita 2000. I want to import one from Japan to get the pretty colours or wait for some awesome bundle to come through.

25. Trent

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    Before it launched in the West, the Slim also had that opinion pretty widely among people who imported. I think the whole fiasco of being negative about a different type of screen was overblown by people who did not own one and assumed that, because it was LCD, it would be poor quality and not worth it. As many could quote from past months: "Everyone who actually owns one likes it".

I am personally really glad it's doing well. I just messed with my 1000 and the Vita Cart port still drives me nuts. It''s so much easier to open it on the Slim model and doesn't make me feel like I'm gonna break what little fingernail I have trying to switch out a cartridge. One of the little conveniences that the new material on the top and back added to comfortability (is that even a word?).

As far as the Vita TV is concerned, I would say it will be awhile. Sony will probably look to see how sales of the Slim model will do past the initial hype of the Borderlands 2 release window. But I think it may come West eventually. When it does, I will jump on that. I'd personally love to play Vita games on a TV and, without a Video-Out peripheral, that's the next best thing.

Last edited: May 11, 2014