Vita Slim coming to North America this Spring

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita General Discussion' started by vongruetz, Feb 10, 2014.

1. vongruetz

vongruetz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    vongruetz
    My biggest worry is that they're going to make their VitaTV decision based on sales of the Vita Slim. The US in particular is just not a big market for handheld gaming consoles anymore, but a small inexpensive box that you plug into your TV would do much better. Plus if you played up the remote play capabilities of the VitaTV, I think it would sell really well. I think that if you sold it only as a remote play box, it would do well. $99 and you can play your PS4 from any TV in the house. Then you add to that the PS1/PSP/PSVita games it can play PLUS it has Netflix, Youtube, Music, Movies, HuluPlus, and you have a really attractive offering.

2. Trent

Trent Owner, PS Vita Reviews

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    Hmm...that's a very interesting thought. You are thinking more along the lines of it being a direct competitor for the Kindle Fire TV and the like. The Vita TV. Can stream Netflix, Hulu Plus, Redbox Instant, Crackle, Crunchyroll, and YouTube, buy/rent movies from PSN (I think? I dunno if it does everything a Vita does) plus it can play PS1, PSP, PS Mini, PS Mobile, and PS Vita games along with acting as a Remote Play device for PS4 games (and a few PS3 games).

3. vongruetz

vongruetz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    vongruetz
    Yep. It only does: Everything.

I think that if they came out swinging and pushing the remote play feature, they could do really well. Just tell all those millions of people who picked up a PS4 that they can now stream their game to a second TV in the house without having to buy another console. If I could have had something like this with the PS3, I would not be the owner of two PS3s. It is competing with the FireTV, the AppleTV, and Roku devices, but the VitaTV has some benefits that really make it stand out. And if they wait for the handheld to be successful in the US before they bring it here, it's never coming. We seem to like big TVs with our game consoles. Or even if they just removed the region lock from the device, I would gladly pay the $120 to import one.

Trent likes this.
  4. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

Yep. Me too