Vitamag is stopping.

Discussion in 'Rules, Announcements, Feedback, & Competitions!' started by Mr Tornado, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Mr Tornado

Mr Tornado Well-Known Member

Just had this email. :(

You've probably been wondering where last issue's PDF/Magazine is, and I can now finally reveal what we've been doing - collating multiple lists, polls and opinions to compile what we consider to be the DEFINITIVE list of Vita games, with the PDF attached to this post. PRINT copies have been posted and should be with yourshortly, if you pledged for one.

In this issue you'll get a countdown from 100 to 1 of every Vita game that we think you have to play, from multiple genres and series.

It's also the perfect time to make the announement that this is the FINAL issue of Vitamag. For two years we have worked tirelessly to bring you the latest Vita news, reviews, interviews and more, but now is the time to call it a day. The system has turned 5 and we have launched a new venture, and we cannot do both.

I thank each and every one of you that has supported us through this journey and hope that you have enjoyed these magazines, but all good things come to an end.

We still have back issues available for many issues so if you are looking for more things to read or wat to complete your collection, simply head to www.thevitalounge.net/shop

Really sad to see this as I love Vitamag & look forward to each new issue every month. :(

So, a big thank you to everyone who has been involved in the magazine. I've loved every issue & they will remain on my bookshelf next to my Vita games collection. :)

shirokuro, benna, DojoDan and 4 others like this.
  2. Murphy

Murphy Founder Staff Member

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    Thanks for the kind words Mr Tornado.

It's a sad day, but seemed that natural way to end the magazine with the special. We are struggling to get enough content these days to fill the magazine, developers are no longer so generous with codes and I do not have the financial means to buy everything we don't get. Our writing team is dwindling and we are finding it difficult to attract quality writers, plus we all do this in our own time for free. Additionally, the digital readership was severely dwindling...

3VOLVE and benna like this.
  3. The_stats_guy

The_stats_guy Well-Known Member

I started late, but really enjoyed these. I may pick up a load of back issues :)

4. NinjaMicWZ

NinjaMicWZ Well-Known Member

You guys did an amazing job for years.

5. FearlessSasuke

FearlessSasuke Well-Known Member

Damn, this was a really great idea and I'm sad your stopping but I plan to buy every vitamag I can once the last one is out.

6. zodaex

zodaex The Mighty Zodasaur

Do we get a Switch magazine in it's place?

7. Murphy

Murphy Founder Staff Member

PSN ID:
    PMurphy1978
    zodaex likes this.
  8. DankZaku

DankZaku Well-Known Member

Very sad to see it go. But it was fun magazine with a ton of work put into it. I thank everyone involved for that.

What will happen to the lounge? :(

9. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    The site and the forum will continue on as long as I can manage it (obviously this month has been busy, so I'm a tad behind), however they will eventually be shut down as well. I'm currently writing anywhere from 60 to 80 percent of the news, and I can't keep that up forever. I figured we'd have a little more help through the year, but we're getting near none and something has to give.

benna and DankZaku like this.
  10. McFungos

McFungos Well-Known Member

+1
    Nothing more to add :(
    You guys did something unseen in since the early age of computers/consoles gaming.

11. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

Yeah nuff said already. I've only one mag so far but great to see physical mags. Just like the old days. Need some back orders now!

12. Digit

Digit Well-Known Member

Gonna be sad to see this place go.

Could we like, take the bulletins / info we get elsewhere we have and throw them at you in reworded, re-written form if that helps?

13. Mr Tornado

Mr Tornado Well-Known Member

:(

Any idea of time frame for the forum? Will be sad to see it go. Lots of great members here & I'm wondering where we will all migrate to.

14. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is the best place for Vita collectors/gamers on the Internet, losing the forum especially would be a huge loss. Hopefully we get a decent heads up ahead of time to migrate to somewhere else.

15. Kyle

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    Well as it is, I don't think either the site or the forum will actually be going anywhere - but eventually I see the site becoming more of an archive, and the forum continuing on until the posting drops right off to nil.

NinjaMicWZ likes this.
  16. Miah

Miah Well-Known Member

Shame, but I've definitely noticed that things have gotten a bit sporadic on the website side of things as far as news/reviews goes. Even sadder since I was getting to the point of considering Patreon, but with it being like this I'm now kinda jumpy & I'm sure as heck not donating just to end up helping support a Switch mag

17. FearlessSasuke

I'll definitely still be here.

18. Kyle

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    We could've used your support when it mattered, but as of right now it wouldn't make a difference. As for supporting the Switch mag, that's completely separate and has its own Patreon not tied to TVL - so that's neither here nor there.

19. FearlessSasuke

I regret not helping you guys out, if only I knew how dire the situation was, I might send something as a thank you for all the work you've done.

20. benna

benna Well-Known Member

i blame many things in life on fearlessSasuke, (eg. Trump, the Vita's demise, not being able to buy LRG aquakitty) if only you weren't such a coward oh fearlessone! :p

21. DankZaku

DankZaku Well-Known Member

Same. As long as this forum is here I will keep showing up. Great source or news/info with a good group of people. I really hope it stays around.

FearlessSasuke likes this.
  22. FearlessSasuke

Oh damn I forgot how bad 2016 was, shame you weren't able to get Aqua Kitty.

benna likes this.
  23. Miah

Miah Well-Known Member

That's really a bummer since I think I could manage a steady donation at this point(well I say that, but the Wife did just have to visit the ER again today). Glad to know the mags aren't tied together in that fashion since while I've got nothing against the Switch, I don't own one so I see no reason in supporting one.

Maybe I was out of the loop, but did I miss a call for TVL writers/support? Usually when things slow down those go out & perhaps I just didn't notice... I don't have any skills in that regards, but still willing to support in ways I can to keep the site/forum going.

24. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

Count me in for site hosting donation. Would be a shame too see the community dissappear. Although it's a relief to hear that's not in the immediate future. Let's not talk of migrating anywhere just yet its making me nervous!

DankZaku likes this.
  25. Kyle

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    We've called out a bunch of times, in a bunch of different ways. Everyone just wants free review codes, and they don't want to write news (or in some cases even the reviews).

We're a fan-site, and there's only so much we can reasonably do to keep it afloat - I've been averaging 75 posts a month for the last year just to keep up with all the news and almost every other area I was involved with suffered because of it. Even though the active pool of Vita news is trailing off (easily half what it was a year ago), that's not enough to bring this down to a properly manageable level. Keep in mind of course, that I also edit articles, the magazine, and write my own reviews - as well as deal with all the behind the scenes tech stuff and keep-up, uploading and editing videos for our YouTube, etc. All on my free time, and for very little compensation.

Up until literally an hour or so before Paul announced it I was still aiming for going on with the Vitamag until Danganronpa V3 released here in the West, but after having a chat and looking at our dwindling roster of help, we knew it wouldn't last that long no matter what. We're way over the hump, and the Vita community (fans, devs, pubs) doesn't seem to care enough anymore on the whole. You guys are a vocal minority, as much as we love you all, and if they were all like you guys we'd be solid. But they're not, and at the editor level we've been playing "do way more than we expected to" to keep this a reality for a very long time.

zodaex and Murphy like this.