Want some Input on Visual Novels

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by Kenza, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Kenza

Kenza Member

I have never played a Visual Novel, although since there are almost no truely NA releases now, i'm looking to maybe expand my gaming experience. I did buy a some Japanimation titles and like a few really well...they tend to have a different sense of humor and maybe things don't get translated well, i really prefer something that is relatable. My question is, "What First Visual Novel should i get that is translates well to the secluded NA player?"

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Novelhellsing likes this.
  2. Digit

Digit Well-Known Member

The Nonary Games for me. Sci-Fi-esque. While it features a Japanese character, the basic premise doesn't rely on 'life' as much as 'escape the death trap room'. Starting at the beginning here with 999 would work too before you dive into the trilogy.

Almost assuredly, though, most people here will recommend Persona 4 Golden, I'd bet, but the other options I'd go for before those would be Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc and Stein's Gate (the first, not 0).

Stein's Gate is more sci-fi, but it's less about getting together and more about exploring the sci fi that unfolds for you.

Danganronpa is more of a murder mystery. Has more of those weird Japanese humor you're not fond of though.

Kenza likes this.
  3. Kyle

Kyle Editor-in-Chief Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    Steins;Gate is a great first visual novel, especially if you're into Sci-fi.

Kenza likes this.
  4. Calamity

Calamity Well-Known Member

Danganronpa, it is one of the few games where I couldn't wait to find out what would happen next!

Kenza likes this.
  5. Novelhellsing

Novelhellsing Active Member

Danganronpa/ Utawarerumono

Kenza likes this.
  6. Kenza

Kenza Member

I Do Love Sci-Fi, I have played all the Orcs and D&D type games, i'm over that atm (Played World of Warcraft for 11 yrs.).

TY for all the replies and will look them all up!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  7. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

Steins;Gate a hundred percent. Persona, like many RPGs uses a VN style of storytelling but is in no way a VN. Steins;Gate is one of the best qua story, has a great translation and localisation and is the whole reason I'm into VNs in the first place.

Danganronpa and The Nonary Games are great if you want a little more gameplay. Both also have a great story (though Danganronpa 2 pales in comparison to 1).

Kenza likes this.
  8. Kenza

Kenza Member

The VN's are pretty cheap on Steam, not so much on the Vita =S Really surprised at some of the prices as i look through these games. =(

9. vita_lover

vita_lover Well-Known Member

I have played many VNs on the VITA, Steins Gate and Steins Gate 0 is among the very best on any system.

Kenza likes this.
  10. Kenza

Kenza Member

Yep, looks like Steins Gate is what it's going to be...that's what a lot of people agree on. =) Keeping my eye on it, right now it's about $34-$38 for a NA edition, but can get a UK version for $20...going to look at DLC to see if i can do without and then i'll just get the UK version.