What are you currently playing on your PS4?

Discussion in 'PlayStation 4 & General PlayStation Discussion' started by Flying_Pig, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Andreas Stalin

Andreas Stalin Active Member

KaiserDragon thanks! Regarding the time limit in Atelier games. I think the only atelier game where the time limit became a problem for me was Atelier Totori because traveling took so long. Atelier Shallie and Atelier Sophie have no time limits at all. In Atelier Firis there is a time limit of one year for the first part of the game, after that there are no time limit at all. And it has to be said the time limit for the first part of the game is very lenient so you should have no problems finishing your task(s), after that you are free to roam. For me that was perfect, it brought some sense of direction and discipline to the first part and then it opened up completely for the second part, which I really liked. For me it was perfectly structured. It’s my favorite atelier game because of the traveling aspect even though other games in the series have better characters and more advanced crafting.

Agreed on the art style of blue reflection, the game looks gorgeous. Just started it today but yeah I’m already blown away by it’s beauty.
    The last three games I have played (Gravity Rush 2, Atelier Firis and Blue Reflection) are all really great looking games which all have a distinct art direction and style. 2017 so far has been a fantastic year for gaming, and I have yet to play Persona 5 and Nier: automata which also are two very stylish looking titles.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    KaiserDragon likes this.
  2. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

Finished off Yakuza Kiwami this week. Main story, completion list, Haruka Trust and Climax Missions have all been 100%ed, only one trophy left for a legend difficulty run. But since Kiwami 2 is out in under 4 weeks I'll just wait and get stuck into that instead of replaying Kiwami.

Now playing Tembo, and its a bit of a slog to play. Platforming is excellent, combat sucks. And the game throws too much combat at you. I'll try it again but can see me either rushing to finish this or just giving up on it completely if it annoys me much more.

Also still playing DJ Max. Focusing on 6B mode now, and its excellent. The perfect mix of difficulty and fun, and much better than 5B. Almost done with the gold score trophy, and have passed the 450 Max Combo's mark for songs (need 500 for the trophy). Mission mode is still a nightmare!

KaiserDragon likes this.
  3. KaiserDragon

KaiserDragon Well-Known Member

@Andreas Stalin. I see, Thank you for the information. It's great to hear that some of them have no time-limit, I didn't expect to hear Totori has a problem with time-limit though as It seems that Totori is the most liked by the masses (citation needed).

I'm currently stuck on chapter two with Rorona so I'm not sure when I will be playing a new Atelier (Looks like it's already a landslide for me). Although with no connection outside of the trilogy, I may make the jump to the recent one first after finishing Rorona.

"it brought some sense of direction and discipline". Hahaha these put a smile on my face. I myself also prefer an open-world with this kind of treatment, playing western open-world game like FallOut makes me feel like "I'm being thrown into the middle of a unknown jungle".

Andreas Stalin Have you played Yoru No Nai Kuni by any chance? if you haven't, I do recommend you to give her a try especially after considering those games you mentioned. Cut-scenes may need some works but the Artworks (especially last boss) and Scores are really beautiful. Plus we get a super nice bonus for finishing the game.

@shadowman. Haha it looks like you are cruising as usual. By the way, did you decide to play "Taiko no Tatsujin"? and what's with that "Elephant" on your Trophy card?

4. shadowman

I've really improved on DJMax. Its strange as I've gone from hopeless on 6B mode to my preferred mode. I have played a little bit of Taiko, ranked mode is fairly tough as it throws tough hard mode songs at you immediately, and I'm so not ready for that yet! Great game though, plenty of songs to enjoy. Plus the bingo cards make replays even more fun than just rank/high score chasing.

5. Andreas Stalin

KaiserDragon Totori is actually my favorite of the Arland trilogy and my second favorite atelier game overall. But there is one area in the game that takes a while to travel to and you can’t really travel there many times before you will run out of time. And this becomes a problem if you are going for specific endings without a guide. You might know that before the Mysterious trilogy there where always some really obscure ways to get some of the endings in the Atelier games.....(particularly without using guides or replaying the games over and over again).

Regarding open world games I both like those with structure but also those that are left wide open from the start. I always find a way to play that works for me it seems.

Nights of Azure is right up my alley but I haven’t played it yet. I hope to get me a Switch next year and play the second one there. So I’ll probably wait to play the first one until then. And gust is probably my favorite developer when it comes to art design and 3D modeling, blue reflection is absolutely gorgeous. It’s a shoujo game for sure but I’d like to call it a bishoujo game ‘cause it’s just really, really pretty. And it’s not just the art, but also the camera work, the framing, the music. I can see myself playing this game over and over again just because of the eye candy. And I actually find it’s themes that centers around emotions, emphathy, psychology and growing up and coming to terms to be quite interesting too.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    KaiserDragon likes this.
  6. Andreas Stalin

Finished Blue Reflection, hands down one of the prettiest games I have ever played. Next up is Valkyria Revolution, I don’t expect too much from it but I like the style of it and hopefully I will be better than what the majority of reviews are saying.

KaiserDragon likes this.
  7. KaiserDragon

KaiserDragon Well-Known Member

Back to back game finish? seems like you are on a roll @Andreas Stalin. Congrats! That was fast though, Blue Reflection game isn't that long I take it?

Andreas Stalin likes this.
  8. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

I loaded up Horizon Zero Dawn last night after not having played for a few months - I'm still pretty early on (got to Mother's Crown for the first time) and while I'd remembered most of the controls I'd forgotten how damn fragile Aloy is against the machines - I had a mission where I needed to take out 2 sawtooths - it much have probably taken me 10 attempts before I got my strategy right - basically I was way too gung-ho, so slowed it down and played way more cautiously.

But I'm back playing now and will crack on over the next month or so :)

9. shadowman

Currently playing City Shrouded in Shadow. Its a very bizarre game in terms of pacing - some chapters are super short and very light on action, some are more "action" heavy (you can't attack, your job is to escape the area without being crushed/vaporised etc. by Godzilla, Mech Godzilla, various Ultra Men, Eva... the variety in "shadows" is ace, just cleared the Mech Godzilla and multiple Ultra Men chapters. However some chapters are insanely slow - the first appearance of Godzilla has you on a ship running from one end to the other doing fetch quests for 90% of the chapter, then 1 minute of Godzilla appearing awful quick. Its easily the low point of the game for me, thankfully Godzilla shows up twice more and actually gets to do stuff this time!

The game is super janky, controls/camera are not great and the graphics aren't great either compared to PS4 games (or even good PS3 games). But its so darn unique and fun when its great that I can look past all these issues. Be interested to see where the last couple of chapters go.