What are you currently playing on your PS4?

Discussion in 'PlayStation 4 & General PlayStation Discussion' started by Flying_Pig, Feb 20, 2015.

1. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

How does it relate to the original 3?

Gameplay-wise it seems to be a complete break with the original formula, with the 3rd person perspective, rather than the more cinematic overview camera. Content-wise it also seems to break. Though family issues have always played a background role, it's never been quite on the foreground as this. It's always been more of a madman who took the "Your arms are too short to box with God" with a bigger grain of salt than can be found in your average fast food meal, who ends up fucking up his own family relations in the process of his own personal vengeance streak. It was the story of the person who fights endlessly for revenge, but finds that he lost everything in the process, while he wasn't looking. Or while he couldn't, blinded with rage. There's something intensely gripping about that, with emphasis on intense.

And now everything looks like it's some sort of subtly emotional father-son thing, with the war-veteran father he never really understood much else but extremes, with the "kill, kill kill" extreme being a little more present than the "love, love, love" extreme, but really just a little. But, of course, parenting doesn't work in extremes, does it? There's a lot of subtleties to raising a proper child, and there's a lot of difficult ways in which children look up to their fathers, etc. etc. It just doesn't feel very God of War-y.

But that's just me going off the few bits of trailers I've seen here and there. So I was wondering what you thought of it?? :D

2. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

I'm hooked on Shantae Half Genie Hero. I bought the first physical release a while back but recently received the newly released Ultimate Ed. Can't believe it's taken this long for me to get around to it. Such a well made game. I really wish they'd bring Wendy Every Witch Way back.

3. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

Also give Shantae and the Pirate's Curse a try when you can. Its a really well designed game as well, Risky's Revenge is good but the map is a mess and the game is pretty darn short. Still excellent fun, just not as good as the other two. Still need to play the original when I get the chance.

DojoDan likes this.
  4. DojoDan

Yeah I will do. I haven't completed many new games but I'm definately going to try to complete it. Do Riskys or Pirates run in any order? Could I start with either?

5. shadowman

Continuity in the games goes:
    Shantae (the GBC game), Risky's Revenge, Pirates Curse, 1/2 Genie Hero. Each game has nods to the last so if you can play the other two in order its worth it, just for a few of the jokes.

DojoDan likes this.
  6. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

I started Shadow of the Colossus last Thursday and it's breathtakingly good. I mean, it's a stunningly beautiful game, and just riding across the varied landscapes is joyous.

Each battle is a puzzle in itself and really varied.

Having played this through on the PS3 and having faint memories of what's coming next is making me enjoy this every bit as much as I did the first time around. Recommended without hesitation!

DojoDan and TheAtom like this.
  7. warwolf

warwolf Member

Ive been playing Persona 5 for a while. I THINK Im near the end but you never know. Awesome game anyhow.

8. TheAtom

I've been playing Overwatch again. It was my brother's birthday last week and my wife and I decided to give him Overwatch and at the same time buy it for me so my brother and I could play together (which we tried during the free weekend a while back). It's a blast, absolutely. We're both not that great at it, but we try to plan, come up with ideas and help each other out by yelling the positions of enemies. A lot of the times it doesn't go to well, in part due to a lack in FPS skills, in part due to not being as familiar with the maps or still getting used to the appropriate tactics with certain characters.

When it does work out though, it's so much fun. In a match where we had to take over points, we had a great move as a duo (while the rest of the team seemed to be loitering about). I, as Mei, shot up a big wall in front of the main entrance of the point, and we then flanked the defenders and took them out quickly (he was playing as Lúcio). After flailing about collectively as a team it felt really great to get around it with a well planned maneuver. The best part was that when we were taking over the point with the two of us, the rest all empty, our Hanzo teammate decided it was the best timing to blindly shoot his Ultimate (some awesomely cool dragons swerving around each other creating total destruction of everything in their way) into the area we were taking over, 'cleaning up' all the enemies that weren't really there in the first place. Gotta love good timing and teamwork (which was and wasn't meant sarcastically). :D

DojoDan likes this.
  9. shadowman

Kingdom Hearts: REchain of Memories. Quite liking it so far, its nice revisiting the worlds of KH1 with a new twist on it. Seems like it might not be the longest story either, so it shouldn't take me too long to get to KH2.

TheAtom likes this.
  10. DojoDan

Swapping between Shantae and Mystik Belle. Can't resist cute platformers.

shadowman likes this.
  11. Andreas Stalin

Andreas Stalin Well-Known Member

Just finished Hellblade Senua’s Sacrifice. Now this is a game you just have to play, it’s been a while since I felt so emotionally drained after finishing a video game, but in a good way like some form of catharsis. This is a fantastic example of what can be done with gaming as a medium and credit must go out to Ninja Theory for taking a chance on a project like this and realizing it the way that they did. Play with headphones as recommended by the makers, it’s integral to the experience.

Next up I will play The Caligula Effect on the Vita.

TheAtom likes this.
  12. TheAtom

Still hooked on Overwatch! Have had it only since the 13th of May and I've already clocked in 44 hours! Whoa!

Flying_Pig likes this.
  13. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

Finished Shadow of the Colossus - such a brilliant game and essential if you've never played it before!

I'm working to finish off a few WIP games I have before starting something new - I've put another few hours into The Talos Principle and did a few more time trial circuits on Gran Turismo Sport.

Next up is (probably) Uncharted: Lost Legacy

warwolf, Andreas Stalin and TheAtom like this.
  14. TheAtom

Still playing Overwatch! Got into competitive playing, and though people seem to be a lot better at teamwork, they're also a lot more bitter. Where Quick Play can feel like a happy-go-lucky group of individuals that wouldn't know teamplay if it hit them in the head (and it does, when the opponent does teamplay well, and the rest of your team still just runs into the opponent's group just to die a second later..), competitive play can sometimes feel like people care too much. I mean, I want to play the game kind of seriously. I want to do my best to complete the objectives and work together. But it's just a game, you know? No need to get all mad and whatnot. I mean, if you're playing with me, it probably means that you suck at this game as well! Else your score would've been higher and you would've played with better people. We all suck, but let's try our best, okay? Yeah... that.

My wife and I also started Rayman Legends yesterday! We actually own it for the PS3 (still untouched), but got it with PS+ last month or so, so the PS4 version it is! That is a lot of fun together! I can't imagine having nearly as fun by myself though.

15. warwolf

warwolf Member

Im streaming Okage: Shadow King to my Vita. Works like a charm. :) There's something so sweet about the Playstation games around the new millennia.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018 at 8:55 PM
    DojoDan likes this.