What are you currently playing on your PS4?

Discussion in 'PlayStation 4 & General PlayStation Discussion' started by Flying_Pig, Feb 20, 2015.

1. DojoDan

DojoDan Well-Known Member

I played Track Mania Turbo again today. It's like Stunt Car Racer mixed with Wipeout and F-Zero GX. Add in 12 kilos of speed and simmer for few hours then fire out of a cannon. Add a ton of track side objects to collide with and you're golden. It is good fun tho.

2. Rattlebag

Rattlebag Member

Nier Automata at the moment. It is a weird little game!

3. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

I started Yakuza with PS+ last night and I'm hooked! The game's graphics aren't the most beautiful, but the story seems fun, our hero Kiryu is as classic of a 'I'm too cool for your little games'-serious-and-'honourable'-'bad guy'-hero as they come and I'm loving it.

MesuKing was both a horrible mistake and a gem we should forever treasure...

behind bars...

where we place ourselves as well...

without the electricity to play the game...

Yeah, that sounds about right.

shadowman likes this.
  4. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

I hear you can play Mahjong in Yakuza. You should go do that ;) If I were an NPC in Yakuza that's where I'd be most of the day. Damn mini games in that series is so damn addictive. Pity the arcade in Kiwami only has Mesuking and the UFO Catcher, I much prefer other entries when we'd get other arcade games like Virtua Fighter 5, Space Harrier/Outrun, Virtua On, Taiko Drum Master etc.

5. TheAtom

I never really played Mahjong before, and last night I was too impatient to try and understand all the rules xD

As for the arcades, it is such a shame!! The arcade cabinets for those games are still there but you can't play them!!

Also: I hate how the UFO catcher is actually doable. It makes me feel worse about my real life attempts XD

6. shadowman

Finished Disaster Report 4 over the weekend. Loved everything up to the ending. Either of them. Both seemed kinda weird and came out of nowhere. Oh well, the rest of the game was a blast so I can't complain too much. DR2 still remains my favourite though.

Started on Spyro 1 now. I'm loving it. Its short, sweet and oh so fun. Looks fantastic as well. I can tell I'm going to enjoy this trilogy. When I get a spare minute (or a few hundred) this weekend I'll be starting Judge Eyes. Which looks amazing.

7. Akros

Akros Well-Known Member

Playing SW Spirits of Sanada.
    Loving it :)

KaiserDragon likes this.
  8. shadowman

Spyro plat'ed, started Judge Eyes now. Basically detective Yakuza which is as amazing as I wanted it to be. This will be something I play for the next few months for sure as I go for the 100% completion rate.

KaiserDragon likes this.
  9. TheAtom

Judge Eyes got released? I totally didn't notice... o_O

It seemed neat in the previews!

10. shadowman

Japan release. I'm not waiting for the Summer English release, I gotta play it now!

TheAtom likes this.
  11. TheAtom

I've been playing, next to my practically weekly rounds of Overwatch (which, I'll admit, has kept me more interested in solo play than I thought), Shantae: Risky's Revenge. It's a goddamned shame the SNES-looking game didn't get ported to the Vita, but it's neat I get to play it on a system I have anyway. Remote play works really nicely as well, so I've been playing parts of it on the Vita anyway.

The game is an action-platformer, but definitely has some Metroidvania-like exploration. In particular, this comes in the form of coming across things blocked off that you will later be able to open with a new skill. The game gives you some hints, but definitely not many, which means there's a lot of backtracking. A nice feature from many Metroidvanias is a good map, and goodness, the map here is fucking ugly. It really makes me wonder who designed the pause screens, map screens etc. They're just... not fitting. The game itself is awesome, and I'm happy I end up liking it as much as I hoped. The action's neat, the platforming is nice, but rough, or well, it is for me xD The storybits are here and there fun, here and there a little forced, here and there a little awkward. Overall, it's good fun though

12. TheAtom

Pfoo! I've been playing Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal lately, and it's been great. It's a lot of fun reliving the story of the original 3DS game in full HD on the big screen. It's also the first mainline Senran I'm playing on the big screen, and the action looks pretty darned glorious on the big screen. It feels smoother to me than EV did, but it may be that I'd need to revisit EV again to check that (which I really don't feel up for, so I'll just leave that statement as is). I haven't quite looked into the extra 'secret files' that are hidden in the game that contain extra information, but I honestly can barely wait to get into a long reading session after I'm finished with the main parts of the game. I'm also really looking forward to playing the prequel stories of Yumi and Miyabi, the latter of which I still needed to purchase despite having gotten the fancy bundle. On a different note: a bit of a mix of particular EV and PBS DLC is readily available in BR:N, so if you, like me, splurged on cosmetic DLC a few years ago, you'll start off with a bit of a wardrobe :D

The one thing I just can't shake while playing this, though, is that the original was just so much better, and with SK's complete embrace of the 3D musou-like action, I just don't think anything'll beat the 3DS games still qua gameplay (which, after having typed it down, sounds like an absolutely ridiculous statement, but I just don't see it beating the 2.5D gameplay from Burst and the ultra-smooth tag team gameplay from Deep Crimson), and it actually leaves me wanting to start up my 3DS with Burst again a little more. This, to be fair, is a pretty bad sign for a remake. A remake should improve upon the original, offering perhaps the quality of life upgrades you've gotten accustomed to whilst allowing you to relive your original experience of the story you've come to love. The sad thing is that the 'quality of life' upgrades the series has gotten over the years have just never felt like an upgrade, but instead like a budget-cutting tactic that ended up paying off (the Playstation games have always been much more popular than their 3DS counterparts, which I'm guessing honestly has more to do with the popularity differences of the relevant systems for the target audience (the Vita and PS4 being much more popular among Japanese high school guys than the 3DS, which is more aimed at younger gamers)).

But ah well, that's just grumpy ol' me. I'm definitely enjoying the ride so far, and I hope I'll be able to capture with a nice screenshot the absolute boss that Yagyuu is in Frantic mode (which means: bikini mode). The attacks are absolute carnage and look awesome!

13. Andreas Stalin

Andreas Stalin Well-Known Member

TheAtom Nice to hear that you like the 3DS games better, I bought both Burst and Deep Crimson (eu) out of fear that they would be really hard to get physical if I waited any longer. I’m looking even more forward to play them now.

14. TheAtom

Andreas Stalin hurray! Qua gameplay, they are my favorites, and qua story I am inclined to put Shinovi Versus on top, but that may be my bias as it was my entry into the series. I hope you will have a lot of fun :D

15. shadowman

Finished Judge Eyes over the weekend. Absolutely amazing, the Yakuza team does it again, definitely down for whatever they got up next. Time to now get back to Kingdom Hearts (2.8 and DDD) so I can be all ready for 3.

ALso finished my first run on Resident Evil 2, its the remake I always wanted and does not disappoint. Can't ready to do my Leon A/Claire B run soon.

TheAtom and Andreas Stalin like this.
  16. TheAtom

I platinum'ed Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal last night and it was an absolute blast. It'd been a while since I played a Senran game with a good story and the extent to which I enjoyed this entry reminds me that Senran's at its best when it does take itself seriously, as opposed to the more goofy antics we see at Bon Appetit, Estival Versus and Peach Beach Splash (and I'm sure the two Switch games are no different). Not because a silly story is objectively lesser than a serious story, but because they do have a story to tell, and the characters have depth in background, goals and worldview, and it hurts a little to see these rich constructions get turned into 1-sided jokes (Daidouji goes from struggling with the disappearance from Rin, looking for a strong enemy to fill the void in Burst to just being a lesbian perv in the later games, for example). It is especially when you, after finishing Hanzo, go into the Hebijo storyline that this depth becomes apparent and things really start connecting. I have only small hopes for the 7even, the announced sequel, and Sony's censorship policies have made it more difficult for Takaki. If this means he'll give focusing on the story a shot, I can only applaud it. I still have the bulk of the secret files to read and the Yumi and Miyabi DLC to play, which I'll come back for later once I feel like putting money down to buy the DLC. :D

Not exactly PS4 but still PS, I started Ni no Kuni after finishing Senran Kagura. Goodness the game's a beaut! I love the Ghibli animation sequences that appear at least in the opening scenes, but in-game I'm surprised by how well it holds up! I have not gotten around to doing much at all yet (haven't gotten an hour in yet) but I'm already feeling stoked! Also: Shizuku's the boss.

17. lesdennis

lesdennis Well-Known Member

Yeah I've been reading on twitter about the fact he's going to have to make huge changes to the game now, it's a real shame Sony US are having such an impact on Japanese game developers now.. It's just wrong.

oh Ni no Kuni is such an awesome game, I only found it myself last year, I noticed a second hand PS3 game in CEX which was highly priced and thought ohhh that must be a good game, the second one on PS4 is awesome aswell.

TheAtom likes this.
  18. TheAtom

Good to hear about #2!

Definitely enjoying myself with the first one :)