What Bluetooth Devices Can Be Paired with the PS Vita?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Help' started by Trent, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Trent

Trent Owner, PS Vita Reviews

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    I have a pretty simple question, though I am unsure if anyone will have an answer for it. I've had a PS Vita for a long time, but never tried to pair any Bluetooth devices with it before. But, last night, I wanted to give it a try. Seeing as how a couple people send me PSN messages, I wanted to make typing a little easier by pairing a keyboard with the system to type, like you can plug a USB Keyboard into a PS3 and type with that.

I used a couple different Bluetooth Keyboards, but neither of them worked. They came up in a Bluetooth Devices list, but whenever I tried to actually pair them with the system, I got an error along the lines of "Cannot find software compatible with PS Vita". That may not be word-for-word, but that's the main gist of the message it gave me. So, for now, I pair it with my phone and use the PlayStation Mobile app for sending messages easily.

I've never tried to pair anything else with it, so I'm hoping someone else here has. Does anyone know what kind of devices you can pair with the system?

2. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy Staff Member

PSN ID:
    teflontactics
    Bluetooth headsets. I use a cheap single ear headset I bought for like $10 online, but nearly any standard (read: not gaming) bluetooth headset will work.

3. Trent

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    So, it's just headsets? You can't pair anything else, like keyboards and such with it? Headsets are great, though personally, I only have a desire to pair keyboards with it to make typing easier for messages :p

4. Darkknezz

Darkknezz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    DarkScollo
    Look up the LG Tone+ & Tone Ultra stereo Bluetooth. I use the ultra, they're amazing

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  5. jpelgrom

jpelgrom Member

The official answer is:
    (via the online manual)

6. RoboAddy

RoboAddy Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    RoboAddy
    • Bluetooth® devices that support the following profile can be paired with your system. Refer to the instruction manual for the supported profiles on the Bluetooth® device you will use.
      • A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile)
      • AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile)
      • HSP (Headset Profile)

7. Trent

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    So the Vita's Bluetooth feature was only really meant for headsets, headphones, mics, etc. Kind of a bummer that I can't pair a keyboard with it, but I'll live.

8. vongruetz

vongruetz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    vongruetz
    I was just thinking today that if I could pair a bluetooth keyboard with my Vita, I would be incredibly happy. The Mail and Messenger apps would be a lot more useful. Maybe one day they'll patch it in... right after they increase the 100 app limit.

9. Trent

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    I think so, too. The Mail app is already useful. I think using the touch screen to select items to delete runs really, really well on the Vita. And the Messages app is mostly why I'd like a keyboard. I usually write longer messages when I do write messages to others, so a keyboard would really fit my needs. But alas, I am using it paired with my phone, instead.

Hopefully, we can get compatibility in the future.

10. RoboAddy

RoboAddy Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    RoboAddy
    The weird thing is, according to the manual, the Vita has icons for all types of peripherals.

Bluetooth® Devices   PlayStation®Vita User\'s Guide.png

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  11. Trent

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    That is very strange. I went back and did some more testing. I have tested three different Bluetooth keyboards as well as a Logitech Bluetooth Mouse. Every time I try to pair any one of these, I am greeted with this message.

[​IMG]

12. CharZarz

CharZarz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    FruitOnline
    I wanted to try to a Sony Bluetooth Headset, but never got the chance.

13. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

And what's the point of bluetooth keyboard on Vita?

14. Trent

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    Making typing easier if you want to go type-heavy in app like Messages or if you go into a chatroom via the Internet Browser. It's not super-easy to type well, and fast, on the touchscreen's keyboard. The Vita can also load and chat in chatrooms like IRC and whatnot. So, using a bluetooth keyboard would making typing in something like that a lot more comfortable.

By the way, since that update that added the Calendar app, Bluetooth Keyboard functionality is available. All those keyboards that didn't work before now will pair and work.

Kyle and italodance like this.
  15. vongruetz

vongruetz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    vongruetz
    That was an awesome surprise. I've had a few issues while using the keyboard (like freezing the system and requiring a hard reset) but overall it works pretty great.

Trent likes this.
  16. Trent

PSN ID:
    L2K7
    It was a great surprise, indeed. If Sony could work on getting more peripherals like this to the West, along with a decent amount of availability for other cradles (The 1000 Cradle I cannot hardly find in stock anywhere from Amazon to GameStop), it would work well with chatting in Messages, or even IRC Channels in the Web Browser or in Chatroom Apps like Sola Chat (PS Mobile). It wouldn't be the most comfortable device to do it on because of how the keyboard comes up, but would be doable.

17. Quillsy

Quillsy Active Member

I second this. I have the set just under the ultra the Tone Pro (750) and they're excellent and reasonably priced. Bluetooth 4.0 and hooked right into everything i've tried so far including my Vita.

18. Darkknezz

Darkknezz Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    DarkScollo
    Hey Quills, nice to see you, i remember chatting with you at the original forum.

19. Quillsy

Quillsy Active Member

:D Lol I'm seeing more and more people I used to talk to here. This pleases me. It was pretty grim on the other forum.

20. MageOfRevenants

MageOfRevenants Well-Known Member

PSN ID:
    MageOfRevenants
    I use LG tone + headset . I love it

21. Caien

Caien Guest

Hi everyone. Regarding whether the PS Vita is able to connect to a bluetooth keyboard, yes it can now. it was included (i think) in the latest update. i use a cheap kind of bluetooth keyboard. not sure if any would work but mine is by "rapoo". hope this helps