Official Topic What Game(s) Are You Currently Playing on the Vita?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by Trent, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Linkx41

Linkx41 The King of Hyrule

PSN ID:
    Linkx41
    Just beat Actual Sunlight, that was kinda depressing...

Flying_Pig likes this.
  2. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

Finally started on a new game - Lumo. Its an isometric platformer, seems really fun so far. The controls are solid which is always the most important thing for me in any of these games. Its designed so that you have to traverse from room to room solving the platforming puzzles. At the moment its pretty straight forward but it'll no doubt get way tougher later on. Only issue I have is the rather janky way you transition from one screen to the next, its not very clean or smooth, and since some rooms are very small/simple you experience this quite a bit in the beginning area.
    Secrets are well done and I can already tell I want to shoot for all the trophies in this game. I can already tell that I'll enjoy my time with this game.

3. strangeseraph

strangeseraph Member

I'm playing Norn 9, one of the few Otome games released in English. Its kind of Meh. You start playing AS one of the dudes, but then you get to pick which of the female protagonists you want to be later on. Which is weird. I'm just getting into it, its set in space, on a space ship with about 9 guys you can woo. :p I've also picked up Persona 4 Golden which everyone says is the game to have on Vita and can't wait to try it! But I like to finish a game I'm already playing first because otherwise you lose the mojo and interest and never finish the game.

shadowman likes this.
  4. ninty72

ninty72 Well-Known Member

I never have time to play my physical titles never mind digital but i recieved a 20 psn card as a thank you so i downloaded Fez ....never played it before on any format ....took 10 minutes getting my head used to all the rotation and it clicked. Enjoying it so far ...now what to buy with the remaing 12 quid :)

Flying_Pig likes this.
  5. shadowman

Getting much further in Lumo. Unfortunately the camera really ruins this game - isometric platformers have always had the problem of making it insanely hard to judge where a platform is and this game suffers from this greatly. Its ok to begin with as the game starts off rather easy. Problem is when the game gets tougher, the camera completely fails the player making what should be a fun challenge, frustratingly difficult in places. Which is a great shame as the actual design of the levels and hidden areas rocks.

*edit* Finished Lumo, actually didn't have much left! Yeah, camera kills it for me, I should never have this issue when playing a platformer as it actively worked against me. Restarted the game on my PS4 and its better - the shadows are visible and the larger screen size help pick things out better (plus it runs silky smooth which is incredibly pleasant as well!
    Now working on all but one of the trophies - I'm still sane enough not to try the oldschool trophy - which is clearing the game with saving disabled and a very finite amount of lives available. Judging by the number of issues I had with the game camera I'd never finish it on that mode. Pity as I do really enjoy the game!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  6. Pircvita

Pircvita New Member

Playing resistance burning skyes, need 3 people for the multiplayer trophy.. Add me please someone: pircvita

7. kborom

kborom Member

Salt and Sanctuary as well, it's very dark though (even with torches) and the UI is poor, the red font is almost black and the other writing is absolutely tiny.

8. lesdennis

lesdennis Well-Known Member

I finished Salt And Sanctuary yesterday after about 40 hours playtime, I'm half way through new game plus now....... jesus this game is so frigging addictive

I had the PS4 version last year but decided to wait and play Vita version and I am glad I did; it's far better suited to the Vita (just don't try on PSTV - fail)

Absolutely crazy amount of random crashes in the game, but that did not put me off.... they have since patched to remove the crashes which is good

Cannot reccommend this game enough, absolute bargain for the money! Brilliant fun!

I had no issues with the font or text, game is a little dark in places but that's to be expected

Picked up the Walking Dead Season 1 for £4 in the sale yesterday so I'm going to start on that on my PSTV next

Flying_Pig likes this.
  9. Mr Tornado

Mr Tornado Well-Known Member

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. Have put a few hours into this one so far & I'm really enjoying it. The brown palette is straining my eyes somewhat though, so I can only play in short bursts of 30 minutes or so.

10. eric

eric Well-Known Member

Put about 20-25 hours into Grand Kingdom. Its a really good game on many levels and has the right amount of complexity. However I find the game doesn't give a lot of incentive to keep going. I am just not that motivated with this one.

11. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

My wife was actually interested in this one.

What do you mean with the lack of motivation?

Is it a lack of story to keep you going or something? Lack of visible progress?

12. eric

eric Well-Known Member

Grand Kingdom is a good game, I like it and will probably come back to it ...yet I just didn't find it that compelling. Here is what I mean, ..when I play a game like Darkest Dungeon there is incentive to keep exploring further. The more you explore the more you keep peeling back to the story. There is something mysterious that you want to discover and uncover. With Grand Kingdom I just don't feel there is any mystery or anything worth uncovering or moving towards.

GK takes place on a map (which doesn't seem to change that much at least in the first 20hrs of game play). You move your troop signified w/ a chess piece around a game board either intentionally trying to encounter other chess pieces (other troops) or avoid -just depends on what the "quest" calls for. When you do land on a similar spot you then go into battle mode which is a turn based battle. There is a story line that runs through all of this, but to be honest I found the story really weak, ..in fact I couldn't tell you the point of the story or the point of the game other than for fun play. Most of the games I enjoy playing and spending time with have some storyline that you want to solve. Generically speaking your usually saving some trapped princess, solving what happened to the city that its in its current state, or trying to destroy some evil villain who is causing chaos. There is usually a point ...a reason to keep moving forward. With Grand Kingdom I am just not sure what that reason is, if it exists I missed it. Yet there is a lot of back and forth dialog, it just seems pointless to me.

The game is fun though, don't get me wrong. I love race car games and those dont' really have a point, ...I mean maybe to unlock more tracks or cars. But even w/ racing games there are goals (like mentioned). GK has enough complexity to be interesting and that is why I kept playing. I also really wanted to love this game, yet i "like" it, not "love" it.

Maybe I've been spoiled with lots of great games on the Vita, this would fall somewhere in the middle. Its not game of the year, but it also isn't a dud either. I hope that helps? ...I dont' recall what I paid for this one, maybe $10 used ...that was fine w/ me. The game mechanics remind me a bit of Child of Light ...yet Child of Light is 10x better as is has mystery and visual interest. GK's graphics are nice and work well ...yet nothing where I am in awe. I can put Swapper in my Vita and just chill to the awesome soundtrack and be in awe of the visuals. ...I guess what I am trying to say is that there isn't really anything special about GK. The game works, but its just kind of bland (at least to me).

I just put Borderlands in my Vita this morning, and plan on starting it on my commute home from work (I take public transportation to from San Francisco ...so no I don't play my Vita while I drive). :)

TheAtom likes this.
  13. shadowman

Started Rose in a Twilight today. Its basically the game I wanted Firefly Diaries to be - namely a puzzle platformer that actually has decent controls. Played the first area and I do really like it. Decent puzzles, really nice visuals and a cool buddy concept - using the girl and giant to navigate through the puzzles to each exit. Pretty brutal for a "cute" game as well in places. Definitely seems like a game I should enjoy.
    Also technically I've been playing quite a bit of Lumo, but that game is super glitchy on the Vita so I switched to the PS4 version for subsequent playthroughs. Still hate the camera and the marble madness clone, otherwise I'm really enjoying it. Won't plat it though since the Old School mode is insanely difficult and I don't have "that" much patience!

14. TheAtom

TheAtom Well-Known Member

That is actually very helpful! Thanks!

Good we didn't get it then for the full price. The mechanics seem fun and I guess that just makes it even more of a shame the story isn't better.

I'm back to Moe Chronicle that I wish was PSTV compatible. Playing PS3 Nier when I want to play on the big screen.

15. shadowman

I've got one of the endings to Rose in the Twilight, though I still have more to do. Bar a couple of baffling puzzles (which aren't all that clear) its so much better than Firefly Diaries (controls are way better as well), and is a fun game in its own right. The rest of the puzzles are really fun. Now onto the true ending and then to start doing all the speed run trophies...

16. shadowman

And now I'm done with Rose in the Twilight. Loved it. A couple of puzzles (or parts of puzzles) were a bit vague or finicky in my opinion, but its overall a really nice game, cool final boss as well. I'm so glad that this game is much better compared to Firefly Diaries which is kinda similar, but this one is far better designed (and really does control way better!) Only a couple of trophies left now for the plat.

17. bigremu

bigremu New Member

i play terraria, final fantasy x hd remaster, international snooker, one piece unlimited world red

3VOLVE likes this.
  18. Flying_Pig

Flying_Pig Well-Known Member

I'm splitting my time between Salt & Sanctuary and Persona 4 Dancing All Night :D

19. shadowman

Shovel Knight Spectre of Torment. I love Shovel Knight, I loved the first DLC campaign, and this one? Could be the best of the bunch. Its basically a brand new game - levels are heavily changed to take advantage of Spectre Knights new moves, music is remixed, bosses are heavily retooled etc. And this is a free piece of DLC remember (if you own the main game), its more content rich than many brand new games, let alone DLC quests.
    Only issue I'm still trying to overcome is evading attacks when doing the dive attack move, as it leaves you very open to attacks on hit. Once I get that sorted I should be unstoppable (in theory). If you loved Shovel Knight, or just 2D platformers in general then play this DLC!

20. eric

eric Well-Known Member

I'll have to check that one out!

..to continue on my current kick of visiting all the games I originally dismissed because of bad IGN reviews ..I am now playing and really enjoying Borderlands 2. IGN gives this a 5/10. Which is horrible ...and hence why I avoided this game. However this game is actually quite awesome and I'd personally give it a 9.5/10 ..the visuals are stunning, game play is fun and the storyline is great so far. I really love this game. I am seriously bewildered by the poor reviews to pretty much all the originally released games for the Vita. I am sure this had something to do with the Vita's poor sales. I just don't get why all the initial game reviews were so poor. Maybe its just that I love bad games? ...but I swear this game isn't bad!! Check out Borderlands 2 if you haven't. Heck its probably super cheap as everyone seemed to hate it.

Flying_Pig likes this.
  21. Linkx41

Linkx41 The King of Hyrule

PSN ID:
    Linkx41
    To be fair Borderlands 2 didn't launch in the best of shape. Although numerous updates the game is now better then what it was in 2014.

Flying_Pig likes this.
  22. lesdennis

lesdennis Well-Known Member

I'm still playing Salt and Sanctuary, almost finished my second playthrough, best game I've played this year by far, absolutely love it

Also finished The Walking Dead Season 1 last night, great story love the decision making within the game, the main annoyance with this game was the crappy action scenes, not sure if it plays bad on the vita but it's damn awful on PSTV; the game stutters along at times when you need to respond quickly, often finding myself dead before I can actually move the cursor to aim.

The control system is pretty poor aswell, right stick to aim, X to fire. I ended up aiming with my left thumb on the right stick in the end

Just started on Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 plus

I totally agree with you, I read some real bad reviews for the vita version and I can't understand what the problem with the game is... the only single complaint I have is the use of the rear touchscreen... I press it unintentionally too often and melee attack when i want to be shooting

I do need to go back to that game I got about 4 hours in and was really enjoying it

23. bigremu

bigremu New Member

I play Terraria, but i need help to defeat the WoF.
    My PSN ID is bigremu

24. hiflyer555

hiflyer555 Well-Known Member

Started Danganronpa 1 recently...and it has been my obsession.

I even bought a Switch and the new Zelda after I started it...and I'm still coming right back to it. Pretty amazing game, and I'm kicking myself for not getting into it earlier. I shall resurface soon with (hopefully) a new plat!

25. shadowman

I wouldn't say soon, there are a couple of really grindy trophies you'll need to get ;) Its an excellent game though so its well worth the effort.

Meanwhile, I've finished my third run on the Spectre of Torment DLC on Shovel Knight, I now only need two feats for the other trophy - getting all the health/weapon upgrades from levels (messed up on this one on my first playthrough - buying one that I could not find in the level itself...) and clearing the game in 90 minutes (which seems possible if I really race through the levels and only purchase certain powerups). Its excellent fun, definitely lives up to the lofty expectations I had going by how much I loved the previous two Shovel Knight campaigns.

hiflyer555 likes this.