Official Topic What Game(s) Are You Currently Playing on the Vita?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by Trent, Jan 5, 2014.

1. the ELF

the ELF New Member

I've recently completed a game from my pile of shame! For some reason I just never got around to it, in its PS2 days.

Glad I finally started, played and Platted it.

God of War!

Much shame, I know...

So jumped straight into God of War 2.

Should maybe post a screenshot in that other thread I found. But so ashamed.

2. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

Went back to Pixel Junk Shooter, which I've not touched in ages. Its kinda clicked with me this time, so hopefully I can actually get somewhere in the game this time. Seems like a good time waster if nothing else, might get better once I get out of the easy/training levels.

3. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

Played Sly Cooper Thieves in Time for a while (but still didn't finish it)

Started God Eater 2 Rage Burst and for short bursts in between I keep on with trophy grinding in Senran Kagura Bon App├ętit.

4. shadowman

Played more Pixel Junk Shooter. Almost done with world 4 now. For the most part I really like how things are switched up in each world, it has some clever flourishes in the level design, they change stuff up just enough to prevent it from ever getting boring. Sometimes though you'll hit a stage that just sucks design wise, which is always the one I get stuck on for the most time which kinda kills the enjoyment I get from the game for a while! Also, bosses are a mixed bag - the designs are well done, the ways you beat them are for the most part good, but what hurts it is that they take too many damn hits to kill, so you'll get stuck playing them way longer than you'd ever want to...
    So its good but pretty flawed in places. Glad I gave it another shot though, definitely enjoying it more than I was initially back on release.

5. shadowman

Managed to Platinum PixelJunk, so that's another one ticked off my backlog list. Pretty good, but falls short of being great because at times its just insanely annoying due to what feels like bad game design.

Anyway, I've now moved back to my goal of playing through all launch titles for the Vita. Up next is Army Corps of Hell. Which I guess feels kinda like a super linear Pikmin game which is just about the combat and an awesome heavy metal soundtrack. Its actually kinda fun (guess it'll be better in small doses). But at the moment the game doesn't really seem to give me much incentive to use other classes other than Soldier since they seem so useful and powerful. I'll have to experiment some more in that regard. I'm enjoying it more than I expected, but depending on how well the combat holds up in the later levels my opinion may change.

6. Mr Tornado

Mr Tornado Well-Known Member

I started CounterSpy at the weekend. For a moment I thought it had crashed, but after further Googling, it was just long load times!

Anyway, I love the art style (looks great on the small screen) & the music is top notch plus the controls feel just right. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do 100% stealth, because I start out trying that, but then I get spotted & stealth goes out the window.

shadowman likes this.
  7. shadowman

Yeah, the game has randomly designed levels, which kills the load times on the Vita. Its a pity as otherwise its a great game.

Since the levels are randomly generated its not always possible to stealth the game. My standard approach is to stealth it as much as possible while being prepared for a fight. I upgrade my gear to be stealth focused as much as possible, but also carry a decent automatic weapon in case I need to fight!

8. The_stats_guy

The_stats_guy Well-Known Member

Finally got around to platinuming jak and daxter. A great concept of a game with absolutely horrible controls. The number of times the jump button just didn't
    work or the camera angle switched when I was jumping on tiny platforms so I fell off. It drove me nuts.

Just started SAO HF. Now I have figured it out, it's a really good game

9. eric

eric Well-Known Member

RidgeRacer

Its even better than the PSP version! :)

Flying_Pig likes this.
  10. shadowman

Eh, the game is missing any real single player campaign, while the PSP version had an excellent tour mode where you got to race on many tracks (with many different car classes), then unlock lots of great rival cars. RR Vita only has a couple of tracks (plus DLC), no tour mode and is very much geared more toward time trial/online Vs mode. I happened to really enjoy the time trial/ghost mode as I ended up really learning one or two of the tracks well enough to manage to platinum the game (which was bloody tough!). I did really enjoy the game, but I do wish it had the amount of content similar to the PSP games or Ridge Racer 6 (which I spent a good 80 hours on!).

Anyway, I've spent the day playing Army Corps of Hell and I can't say I like it all that much anymore! The problem is the game becomes insanely repetitive after a few levels, bosses are recycled and level design goes to hell at around level 20 (of 40...) I'm only 10 levels short of finishing the game so I'll keep at it, but I can't say I'll be going for many trophies on this one, it has a horrid grindy trophy list that'd probably take 10's of hours of replaying the same level to get the stuff you need, which sounds like hell... Soundtrack is decent, could use more tracks though... All round it feels like a fairly forgettable launch title.

bigremu likes this.
  11. eric

eric Well-Known Member

Interesting ...as I was starting to feel the same way until I found the "Spot" game races which allow you to race 7 other computer generated vehicles. So that is keeping me interested. ..time will tell, I only have about 10 hours into it, but can see if there are not a lot more tracks or cars then it may get old quick.

12. Vita_Girl

That is indeed a issue with Army Corps of Hell, in my opinion New Little Kings Story is a better "pikmin-ish" game on the Vita.

13. shadowman

Good point, I forgot about LKS, pity that it apparently has some bad frame rate issues in places :( I'll definitely give it a playthrough at some point once I'm done with all the launch games.

*edit* actually I've changed my mind on Army Corps of Hell. Turns out the later levels (30+) are actually pretty fun in a weird kind of way. The upped difficulty works well, but I'm only using Magi class as the other two really wouldn't cut it on these levels. It would have worked better as a third person shooter I feel - the combat and bosses could have been ported over mostly intact and the controls/combat could have been tightened up. Managed to get a few platinum medals on the 30's levels as well, something I've not managed to do on earlier levels... glad I'm at least enjoying the game again. Only got 4 levels left until I finish the game.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  14. eric

eric Well-Known Member

Am I missing something, or does Ridge Racer only include 5 cars and 3 tracks? ...I have got 1st on each of the tracks and haven't unlocked anything. I saw online that you can download about 6 or 7 more tracks and about 15 more cars. ...However that would be an additional $15 - $20 to do so ...which would really piss me off! I already paid $20 for the game, why would I not get ALL the content w/ the game?
    If I am correct and there are no more cars/tracks included on the physical game release than that is really crappy of the game maker. Its like what the smartphone game co's do, -hook you in and nickel and dime you to keep getting more and more $$$ out of you.

15. shadowman

I told you so ;) The game has very little content, and I didn't really enjoy the DLC courses all that much. The cars were sorta ok. But really its not worth buying the DLC. As I mentioned above, the game does get "better" when you start going after the rival car ghosts (which are incredibly tough to beat), but it lacks the huge tour mode that all RR games that Rage Racer and beyond had.

16. Vita_Girl

There is a reason why people call it a "$40 tech demo" when it came out.

It's a good game with extreme lack of content, any Vita racer has more content than Ridge Racer om the Vita even WRC 3.

So after 5,5 hours still playing GE2RB, first game since Senran Kagura ones that kept me busy for that long in 1 run.

17. eric

eric Well-Known Member

--So true!

The game is actually really really good, the graphics and controls are a 10/10. Yet it does feel like a demo, that is a perfect analogy.
    How sad and unfortunate. No I don't think i'll buy the DLC for the game, -mostly out of principle. ;)

18. shadowman

Ok, just finished Army Corps of Hell. Basically my opinion of the game can be split into the following:

Level 1-20: It seems fun. I hope it doesn't get repetitive...
    Level 21-30: Bollocks, it got repetitive, grindy and the level designs suck. Fuck this stupid bug boss.
    Level 31-40: Hey, actually abusing Magi class is the way to go. The game feels like it plays better using only this class. Level design feels? better or maybe that's my imagination. Bosses feel way more fun to fight using only the Magi class and even the multi boss battles are nothing to be scared of. This is fun!

So basically the game is fairly average until you hit the final set of levels. The difficulty curve kinda evens out and somehow it becomes more fun to play. Just mopping up a few trophies, still doubt I'll go for the plat but doing the last few levels netted me way more trophies than previously expected.

19. bigremu

bigremu New Member

i`ve began play Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden. i love this games.
    Ridge Racer for the PSP is better than for the Vita.

20. shadowman

Went back to a couple more games on my backlog:

Guacamelee: Got this around release, but I've only finished the PS4 upgrade released a few years later. I'm now back playing the original Vita version. Its so nice on the OLED screen. I still love the combat for this game so much, so fluid and full of great combos that get better as you get more powers. Definitely one of my favourite Metroidvania style games.

F1 2011: Another launch game, this one is a F1 racer that has a nice arcadey feel to it. Plenty of gameplay modes by the look of it, only issue I have is with the controls not using the shoulder buttons as accelerate/brake. Frame rate issues are also a pity, as it can go from silky smooth to slightly juddery at times when lots is happening. Still, its a really fun racer :)

21. Vita_Girl

I played F1 2011 for more than 6 hours, the framerate is good but isn't very stable on specific tracks (but still above 25fps).

There are tracks where it stays at rock solid 30fps, but on some tracks you can feel it drops to 26~28fps.

If not mistaken you can change the accelerate/brake buttons in the settings.

The games that hold 30fps the best are Wipeout 2048, Asphalt Injection and WRC 3 and 4 in my opinion, they hold that 30fps 95% of the time.

Followed by NFS Most Wanted, F1 2011, Ridge Racer and Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, but that last one has 1 track where the framerate is horrible, for the rest it's good.

And the worst games framerate wise? Don't really know but WRC 5 has a weak framerate from what I heard for example.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  22. shadowman

Yeah, Wipeout is ace frame rate wise. Very solid indeed. WRC4 is decent for almost all the tracks but a couple are pretty bad, but its such a great game that I can forgive the odd hiccup here and there.

Only game I can think of that had frame rates that really broke the game were the second Tadeo Jones game and Oddworld. TJ has submarine missions with a frame rate that I'm sure goes into the single didgets and becomes almost unplayable, and Oddworld its possible to get the frame rate to die in one or two areas (but to be fair that's just a glitch, its fine 90% of the time, its just insanely glitchy in places).

23. eric

eric Well-Known Member

love the racing games!

I have F1, haven't played it yet. Will have to give that one a try.

what I have been LOVING is Sega Rally for the PSP. What a great game! Just good simple racing fun the way it ought to be. Race against 5 other racers (6 total) for points to unlock more cars and tracks. Simple but it works very well. It is actually more fun than most racing games on my Vita.

Vita_Girl and shadowman like this.
  24. Vita_Girl

Still having nightmares from that game, even worse that mission in TJ has a trophy for finishing that level WITHOUT any hits at all (yes I got that trophy somehow...)

But there are worse games framerate wise, but mostly they are Japan only or digital only over here, TJ has has bad framerate but that's a budget titles in games like Assassin's Creed Liberation or in certain mission in Uncharted Golden Abyss the framerate tanks even more, especially in Uncharted a game that doesn't even run at native Vita resolution there are time you play at 14fps... :eek:

But Assassin's Creed Liberation is worse on that part, in Uncharted the framerate is horrible in certain missions in ACL almost the whole game runs 70% at horrible framerate.

Back to GE2RB then, tomorrow a new game comes in that I really want to play :D

PSP has a lot of awesome racing games and it's a shame almost none of them is available on the Vita as a PSP downloadable title.

Vita has some good racers too, but to be fair both Vita and 3DS lack racing titles a lot compared to the PSP and DS.

25. shadowman

Strange. I replayed Uncharted very recently to get the plat and ended up replaying the whole game several times for bounties, but can't really recall any big frame rate drops at any point. For how nice it looked I was happy with how it performed. AC though, I forget how that ran, but damn the audio is horrible in that game. That's the one thing I remember about it!

Meanwhile, I managed to finish the first race in F1 2011. Finished 3rd in the end, would have done better if I'd driven like I did in time trials...

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Vita_Girl likes this.