Official Topic What Game(s) Are You Currently Playing on the Vita?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Vita Games' started by Trent, Jan 5, 2014.

1. IDURRRPS

IDURRRPS New Member

Oddworld strangers wrath, little big Planet vita Borderlands 2 and oddworld munch'oddysee

2. shadowman

shadowman Well-Known Member

Yeah, the soundtrack is amazing. Its not really the type of music I'd normally listen to, but I've found myself listening to it outside of playing the game (which is a rarity for me). Some of the tracks (especially the ones used later in the game) really get the blood pumping, it suits the game down to the ground. The sequel has a brilliant soundtrack as well.

Anyway, gameplay wise I've finally finished my first season on F1 2011. Just another 7 left! I'm skipping the qualification time trials this time, half because it should shorten the time it takes to complete seasons, and half because I need more of a challenge (as if you can start off in first its pretty darn easy unless you screw up early into the race).

3. Roscoe Jones

Roscoe Jones Well-Known Member

Ya got it!

4. Roscoe Jones

Roscoe Jones Well-Known Member

Cool thnx. It makes me soooooooooooooo mad that I can't choose to play any vita game I want on my pstv without doing a difficult hack or jail break. Sony really really dropped the ball with that nonsense imo. It may be a pipe dream but, I hope one day all vita games can play on the pstv or at least 96% excluding the ones that absolutely need gyroscope.

5. Adam Anouer

Adam Anouer Well-Known Member

With Yomawari Midnight Shadows announced for the vita in august I decided to re-visit the game to see just how well it holds up.

Upon a second play through I've really picked up on a lot of details about the game however, first I want to address something a lot of people seemed to have trouble with in this game... the controls. With the game's design style being very reminiscent of a lot of RPG Maker horror style games (The Witches House, The Crooked Man, Yume Nikki etc) and it being ported to Steam on the surface you'd figure Yomawari was designed with a keyboard set-up in mind favouring 4 directional movement but this couldn't be further from the truth. Yomawari uses a very subtle isometric view point and while it may appear to favour a 2D set-up I can guarantee you will have a smoother ride using the Vita's left analogue stick rather than the D-pad and I should also mention what other people don't seem to know is that you can actually guide the flashlight with the right analogue stick.

With that out of the way let's talk about the fun stuff in this game... it's lore. Be aware... spoilers ahead!

zodaex and shadowman like this.
  6. shadowman

Really interesting stuff Adam, that would certainly go a ways to explaining what happened in the game. Very interested to see if the sequel tries to build on the story of the first game.

7. Adam Anouer

:) Thanks Shadow. I do suspect the sequel is going to focus a lot more on the town since the game itself didn't really explain anything regarding the Spirits, Mr. Yomawari or The Lore of the Town itself. For me the pieces do fit but remember... that's just a theory, A GAME THEORY! (Sorry couldn't resist)

shadowman likes this.
  8. Adam Anouer

So I started playing Resistance: Burning Skies I decided to give it a chance after the response from it since launch is that it's "meh". After about 2 hours playing the game I was pissed off with it for one reason, this could've been a really good game for the Vita... it could've been that must have FPS because you know what the story while not deep by any means does it's job, it gives you your incentive to want to kill the chimera. Technically speaking the graphics are about on par with a PS2 game but the frame rate is locked at a steady 30 FPS throughout. So what's the problem?

The God Damn Touchscreen implementation... I hate it.

You wanna lock-on to enemies? Touchscreen, why use something simple like what COD and even Coded Arms employed perfectly fine.
    Wanna open a door? You could do it with cool axe at the start... but no... touchscreen.
    Wanna throw a grenade? We have all these buttons available on the D-pad that aren't doing anything? But no, touch screen.

Why break something that didn't need to be broken? The First Person Shooter genre has managed this since Doom and yet because it's a launch title it decided to experiment with gimmicks no-one wanted, needed, nor asked for and breaks this games flow over and over again. But outside of that how does the game hold up?

Really well actually, the story isn't anything deep but immediately you know what the bad guys and whom you have to kill as well as who you have to protect? The weapon selection in this game is actually really awesome Crossbow Shotgun for the win and a nice hefty axe which really makes a mark. This game costs £10 and if you're less bothered by the touch screen controls then I'd absolutely recommend Burning Skies because the content actually really immersive and worth the price tag.

9. shadowman

Coded Arms really should have been available on the digital storefront for the Vita. With button remapping and a second analogue stick it'd be more playable now... but Konami killed that series off after the second game :( I really did enjoy the first game for what it was.

10. Vita_Girl

Vita_Girl Well-Known Member

I have that feeling with most Vita launch/early titles, look at UMvC3 where it works like it should be.

But then Killzone, Uncharted and Wipeout 2048, great games that work perfectly with buttons, except that the menus are touch only just why?

Doesn't make sense, but you can tell that the later games mostly just ignored those gimmicks or made them optional, touchscreen isn't really that bad but the back touchpad is plain stupid.

There even games that ignore it all, even the front touchscreen.

11. willow514

willow514 Well-Known Member

Started playing Oceanhorn last week with a little Binding of Isaac and Shovel Knight for good measure :D

Adam Anouer and shadowman like this.
  12. shadowman

F1 continues to go well. Almost finished my 4th season now, this is going quicker than expected! Should have all 8 seasons done in no time. Not sure which game to start next though...

Adam Anouer likes this.
  13. Adam Anouer

I'm completely with you there Vita Girl. :) Like really I don't hate touch screen controls, I truly don't. It's just I look at that gorgeous OLED display and then want to punch whoever on Sony's R&D's thought it was a good idea to make it a touch screen. Like seriously I'm not kidding when I say this (it also applies to the PSP) I can't bare the idea of scratching the thing's exposed screen so when I buy a console I wait until I screen protector so I can sit back and enjoy that and I can't imagine many people want their own paw prints smeared across the screen. I mean if nothing I am glad most games just ditched this gimmick all together.

Granted in Uncharted and Wipeout it is annoying having to use it in the menu's but outside of that I do feel Uncharted is actually one of the better games that utelise the touch screen and the gyroscope. Burning Skies problem is the fact it's almost a really good game but none of it's touch screen controls needed to be there, not even as a way to make up for a lack of buttons (E.G: Auto-Aim forcing you to tag the enemy on the Touchscreen rather than snapping sights on the target closest). I'm actually re-considering visiting Black Ops to see how well it's integrated there.

In any case the game I'm currently playing is a PS One Classic... Silent Hill and it's almost hilarious how easily this game utterly still outclasses most current horror games. Even after playing the rest of the series this game really knows how to set me on edge partially thanks to that nerve wracking soundtrack but also thanks to excellent pacing and not knowing what's around the corner. Graphically the game definitely shows it's age and the controls and quite as tight as it's sequels but for what the PS1 was capable of I'd say this game absolutely takes full advantage of that.

14. Adam Anouer

Oh and love me that Binding of Isaac, addictive as all hell.

zodaex likes this.
  15. shadowman

Guacamelee hard mode is now done, getting me the platinum trophy in the process! Final boss is pretty darn easy, but the boss fight preceding it against Javier is as tough as it was made out to be (it was actually made easier in the PS4 version). Took me quite a few tries to finally finish him off.

I'm now working on the DLC for Guacamelee. All challenge mode levels done with gold medals, and right now I'm working on meeting all the sombrero wearing chickens while wearing the chicken suit!

Oh, and F1 wise I've finished season 5 (or was it 6?) so I'm almost done with that one.

AllHasRed likes this.
  16. AllHasRed

AllHasRed Well-Known Member

That Javier boss fight on hard actually made me quit the game a few years ago. I never went back since because I just didn't feel up to the challenge. But it's good to hear that the rest is a bit more manageable!

I've recently started trying to work through a number of my abandoned/unfinished games to raise my trophy completion rate and Guacamelee is rather high up on my list. It's surely going to be a nice change of pace after the excrucating monotony of 100%ing Silent Hill Book of Memories inclulding the DLC. Played that one almost daily for pretty much the last two months and it certainly outstayed its welcome way sooner than that!

shadowman likes this.
  17. shadowman

Understandable on the boss fight. Right at the end of Javier boss battle he switches his shield to one of those where you have to hit him repeatedly to break the shield, then continue hitting him to finish him off. And the shield replenishes really quick, its incredibly difficult to destroy the shield in its own right, never mind dodging his attacks and then finally defeating him! Such a satisfying win once you beat him though!

AllHasRed likes this.
  18. Adam Anouer

I wanted to finally make use of my JPN account Vita Memory card so I decided to visit the Playstation Store and came across a game I've been wanting to play for a very long time. The infamous LSD - Dream Emulator and to say this game is unnerving is the understatement of the century. I'll try to describe the gameplay as best I can.

The general idea of the game is that as the player you have to complete a dream chart, you do this each night by awakening in a dreamscape and exploring it in a first person perspective. The moment you make contact with a solid construct your dreamscape will shift from one area to the next and you'll have about 10 minutes each night to explore each of these dreams before the next night. The game only has a handful of these dreamscapes but with each successive night these locales will shift and alter themselves by introducing more surreal elements depending on what it is you interact with within your dreams and let me say some of these can be very unsettling (such as surreal exaggerated faces appearing in the sky or on building textures). In the game the controls are incredibly simple, use the left and right directional buttons to adjust your few, press forward to move and hold the triangle button to run (I'll cut the games controls slack for being pre-analogue sticks).

In terms of game mechanics there's only one I need to mention and that's the dream chart. Essentially your dreams has 3 mental states Upper, Downer and Dynamic depending on how you navigate your dream will determine the which state gets marked on your chart when your night ends. The last thing I should mention is the Gray Man who I suppose could be considered the main enemy (or chaser) of the game. He has the appearance of a man wearing a Gray trench coat who can appear anywhere within your dreams, if you make eye contact with him he will not chase you BUT if you turn from him and he interacts with you, you will awaken from your dream instantly moving to the next night.

I've got to say this game does make one hell of an impression but it's also very difficult to recommend. If you like the weird and the surreal then LSD dream emulator is a game I absolutely recommend because there is a lot to see in this game and I think it's one of those type of games where each person's experience is going to be unique and different. Luckily the game is really cheap on PS3, PSP and PS Vita but don't by a PS1 copies it's insanely priced .

shadowman likes this.
  19. shadowman

Not moving to far from Guacamelee's skeletal theme, I've now finally returned to Grim Fandango. A story that I really like, but wrapped in puzzles I'd never, ever figure out! So I'm using a guide so that I can get things finished up without problems. Really enjoying the story and dialogue, and I'm glad I don't have to struggle through the puzzles (same issue I had with Day of the Tentacle).

Adam Anouer likes this.
  20. Adam Anouer

Since my Rose in the Twilight is on it's way I'd figure I'd finish the other half of the Yomawari Night Alone package. That is to say Hotl #NiQ The Fire Fly or Hotaru No Nikki...

First things first, this game is absolutely gorgeous. I love the art style of Yomawari but Firefly diary's presentation is looks amazing and very similar to Dokuro and Child of Light for those who loved those games. Anyone who's familiar with the Yume Nikki sub genre will notice a few parralels with this game far more so than with Yomawari, the main of this game is collecting the memories of it's main protagonist throughout the course of the game. Speaking of which let's talk about the gameplay.

This game... makes me cry and not because of it's emotionally invested story you uncover as you proceed. Speaking as someone who's obtained the Platinum Trophy in Demon's Souls, the amount of times I've died in this game borders on insane and yet there's a gold trophy for dying 200 times so I can only assume that was an intentional design choice. This is a game you can only play with either a touch screen or the 2 analog sticks and for the love of christ just use the analog sticks, it's very cute what they tried to do with the controls to make the game so niche for the Vita but in the later puzzle sections it made me want to rip my own fingers off. Funnily enough I do consider it a good game though it does require patience and persistence in order to triumph with this one.

21. Shippo

Shippo Well-Known Member

Have made a long break from Vita Gaming. Now im finally back but i dont know what i could play :D

Have been thinking about playing sword art online hollow realization (loved hollow fragment). But i heard it had some big framerate issues. Anyone played it and can say something about it ? Did the Update patched these issues ? :D

If anyone want to recommend something woud also be great :D

22. shadowman

With F1 and Grim Fandango done I'm moving further into my backlog. I decided to revisit the PS3 game "Malicious" with the Vita port "Malicious Rebirth".

I hated the PS3 version because it made no sense and had a garbage camera. Guess what. Its still an utter piece of shit. The camera is insultingly terrible, the controls suck since you don't hit what your aiming for half the time, the mechanics are not explained well at all (several searches later taught me how to actually play this rubbish) and the aura mechanic doesn't even work properly either. I was hopeful that this port would actually fix the issues I had with the PS3 port but it still sucks. Basically, if you want a boss rush game (a game where you only fight bosses) like this, just get Furi on the PS4 instead - which is bloody brilliant. If Furi is a 10 (and it pretty much is) this would be a 3 at the highest, it barely works.

Oh well, I've also got Steamworld Heist to play, and I know that game rocks so at least I've got something to look forward to.

23. shadowman

Ok. since Malicious pissed me off so much I've started Steamworld Heist to take my mind off of it. My Vita is now recharging as I run the battery flat! This game rocks. Its a great strategy RPG. The character powers you get as you continue playing just make things even more fun. This one is definitely worth playing :)

24. shadowman

Steamworld Heist is now done, what brilliant game that was. Rather than grind for trophies or attempt the higher difficulties (gave them a shot, not something I have the patience for) I've finally gone back to Garou Mark of the Wolves. While frustrating at times (when I'm losing!) its such a class fighter - the graphics are timeless, as is the awesome soundtrack and faultless gameplay. Grants a right bastard though... (seriously, his damage output is nuts). I've still got Metal Slug 3 and Last Blade 2 to go through after this, and Windjammers should be out some time this year. Hopefully we can get a KOF game on the Vita (natively) before support ends for the system, its the one fighter I really feel the Vita is missing - KOF 98 or 2002 UM would be perfect.

25. TriOpticon

TriOpticon Active Member

I received as a gift, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC Evolution. I've played the PSP version so the fact it is Japanese doesn't really bother me. I like the enhancements they've done, also.